Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Looking at 08 3400...HELP!

I've been a member for a couple of years and waiting for this day (if it is the day!), and would like any input on the 08 3400 you could give me. I'm sorry to bug you but after reading discussion after discussion over the years, all of a sudden my head is spinning when I need it the most. I've gathered up all my notes from YOU the EXPERTS that I've kept, but now would like any last-minute advice on what to look for! Checking it out this weekend. Leaving it up to Him....thank you much...there's not a better MOC! D

Old 01-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
D, I would look closely at the tires and undercarriage, especially the spring connectors, back of the wheels for leaks, fill ALL tanks to check for any leaks. Of Course, Turn everything on to make sure it works. Look around front closet for any seperation (could mean frame flex). Check hitch pin for excessive wear. Check status of battery. Check all slide seals for tightness and make sure all slides go all the way in and all the way out. Raise and lower landing gear (May need to hitch up to truck to be sure they go all the way up (at least within an inch). Look in basement around pipes for any water damage. Check sinks and coutertops for scratches, make sure microwave works and fridge works, you might want to buy a fridge thermometer and place in the fridge when you get there....

That's about all I can think of at the moment, hopefully others will be along to give more advice....

We love our 3400, but we did have some minor problems and just had the black tank replaced......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Go here and then click on the top line of the rightmost column for "PDI checklists". Or click on "Home",then click on "RVRelated Links":

http://www.montanaowners.com/RVRelatedLinks.html

These are Pre-delivery Inspection checklists that can be used as guidelines for checking out a rig (new or preowned). The lists basically explain to check everything just like a "walkthrough" in a house or apartment. It should include more than just the stuff Phil mentioned.

It is recommended you review the lists to become familiar with them and inform the dealer how much you plan to investigate the rig. This can take a long time so you don't want to blindside the dealer.

Others should be along very soon on how to check out a rig or some special hints for the specific model you mentioned.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Thanks Phil, Kathy, Art and Margie....there's nothing better than going in with MOC knowledge! Hopefully will walk through the Monty Saturday....boy are we getting hit hard here in OH.....along with neighboring states.....going to take a few days to get roads safe then off to check things out. Hopefully next year at this time we'll be in the warm and sunny !!!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:18 AM   #5
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
Some very good points have already been made. Please do not forget to get up to the roof and inspect it. See if it has been cleaned and maintained. Check for any scuff marks or tears, caulking/sealing around openings. Check the antenna cable and if it is sealed where it penetrates the roof. Check the roof ladder and if it is secure to the trailer. Good luck!
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:05 AM   #6
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We don't know of anything specific to the 08 3400 other than we love ours. Definitely check out the tires for the "bad" ones that have been referrenced in previous posts. Look for unusual wear on the tires as well. If weather permits, and you can open the slides, look for dry rot or splits on the round rubber seals.

Where in Ohio? No snow in Florida though at home, northern Illinois, they are expecting a boat load.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:44 AM   #7
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Check out the glass in the cabinets. In some of the 08 models they had problems with it getting all crinkled up and it was under warranty at that time but not now. We looked at an 08 that every glass panel was wrinkled up, looked terrible. The salesman tried to tell us that it was minor it's not when you look at it everyday. Just a FYI....
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:10 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Lots of good comments. I would definitely make them open the slides. After slides closed then raise nose to hook up to truck checking landing legs. Hook up water and fill all holding tanks full (with their permission) to check for leaks on the top of the tanks. Full by back up not sensor indicators. Black tank burps, shower has water in it kitchen sink has water. Live in it for two or three hours using everything including the AC once the heater has it up to 70 degrees.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Thanks for the many comments......printed up the pdi and added your comments. We'll be checking out the Monty tomorrow (Sat) to see if it's a good possibility, then taking it from there. Will keep you posted! D
Old 02-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
ddettorre, know I'm a little late to the party as my 3400RL in a 06. Just came across this post from grandpachet, recall on some 08 3400RL's with Norcold Refers. FYI

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43065
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Thanks for the info.....looks like we might've found what we wanted in a Monty! Will check out the recall. Much appreciated...D
Old 02-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm assuming this is a used rig? If so, the shackles will not be on the PDI and that's something I would look at for sure. These are the links between the frame and the suspension. The bushings tend to wear and then you have metal on metal. The results can look like the pictures below. Several of us have replaced the shackles with a kit that includes greasable fittings to avoid a repeat of this problem. The new Montanas come with the wet bolts but earlier models, including the 2008, do not. These pictures I saved from various members' pictures. The first one is ours.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #13
FLtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11152
WOW sreigle, that's scary. Guess I better put that on my checkit list.
FLtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote