Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
How to have a clean new looking roof

How to have a clean new looking roof. Here's how, and it's easy.

Go to Ft. Desoto County Park Campground in Tierra Verde, Florida. Stay in the pet area. When you leave, following the one way signs, be sure to scrub up against the tree on the left side of the narrow road, that is at an angle on the last sharp turn at the exit. Be sure to scrape the rounded portion of your roof peeling back the rubber roof at least 18 feet. As an option, you can get some new sewer vents as well. Then apply two rolls of duct tape. Make sure you have a good quality tape, the discount stuff won't stick to the rubber roof. Get the aluminum version with the peel off paper back. Decorate to taste.

Now here's the easy part. Cancel the balance of your 10 day Christmas through New Years trip. Call your insurance company. Take the rig directly to your dealer. He will put a nice new rubber roof on your unit for the cost of your deductible.

Happy New Year.

nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
OUCHHH!!! That sounds like it is going to leave a mark. Sorry to hear about the obviously not preferable means to get a clean roof.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:09 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I will stick with my dirty roof thankyou....
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:14 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A sad, but funny post. Sorry that happened to you.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:16 AM   #5
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I like your sense of humor
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
I admire your ability to treat the park's poor management with such humor...way beyond my range of humor. We have thought about camping at that campground...looks like it was a good thing we have put it off. Hopefully your dealer will do a good job of replacing your roof...with your sense of humor, you deserve the best treatment!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:46 AM   #7
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
Sorry to hear about your bad luck...
Camped there a lot with a tent years ago.. I do remember a lot of low hanging limbs on that side of the campground..
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:01 AM   #8
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Best thing to do there is stay off the pet loop. We camped on it twice with our pop up back in the day, and it was buggy and smelled like skunks! The other loops are much nicer, although one is only suitable to pop ups and tents. The other loop has been recently cleaned up and is quite big rig friendly. Makes it tough to get a site anytime.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:08 AM   #9
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
I used to work in that area, but have not been there in a couple of years and it sounds like nothing has changed
the park is run by the Pinellas county park division. It is to bad they do not want to bring it up to date to handle the longer rigs. For tenting and short trailers it is a beautiful park and St. Petersburg and all the Gulf cities up through Clearwater have a lot to offer. To bad that politics are making a mess of this area. Sorry to hear of you new roof job. You can name that part of your unit "New Florida". Enjoy and Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #10
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
thats a tuff way to clean your roof.did you clean the whole roof in one pass or multipule passes? thats funny,i dont care who you are thats funny....
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:07 AM   #11
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Great sense of humor but I think I’ll stick to cleaning with a little elbow grease. Sorry to hear of the mishap hope it gets fixed relatively painlessly.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
eastridges
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9276
I'm thinking, a big nasty chain saw and a return for vengence!!!!!
eastridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
We live half an hour away from Ft DeSoto Park and have used it very often for the past 5 years. We were unhappy when they went up from $25 a night to $37.50 seeing that they don't have full hook up. The response I got was that they have the water...meaning the beaches, etc. We absolutely love it there and have had to be careful which site we go into because there are so many inconvenient "guard" trees at the front of the sites. Hard to get into many of them and we have to go into the pet area now. We loved the other loop where you could get a beautiful water site. They have the 3rd area for pop-ups, tents, and very very low profile RVs. Unfortunately the county residents have a whole month priority on reservations and they grab all the good sites. Also, they allow tents into the other 2 areas and don't confine them to the tent section. So, if I want to go in there with my RV and someone with a tent goes in first, I am out of luck. It is really unfair to confine pet owners to only one area, but allowing tents to go in any site they want. Thanks for the forum to complain about my favorite campground in the world!!! I love it there and feel that the price, guard trees and unfair policies won't deter me from going there whenever I can get in.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:47 AM   #14
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Sorry to hear about your mishap, but I am glad you had the wisdom to have it professionally replaced. A friend ripped a hole in his roof and repaired it himself. Two years later the fiberglass siding split from top to bottom due to water intrusion at the old tear site and the insurance refused to pay since it was not handled by a professional.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #15
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
If you can, get the park to cover the repair as it is their fault. Your insurance company may charge you with an "at fault" accident and raise your rates. AAA did it to us so car insurance along with the RV went up.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote