Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2010, 04:49 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
3750FL Sofa Bed Difficulties

A few of us had posted on another thread about what was evidently some confusion regarding the air-mattress that was supplied with the Flair Sofa Bed in our rig. According to Flair, we were supplied with a mattress that was too big. I received the replacement mattress UPS yesterday and of course had to put it to the test. It is slightly smaller, but it still appears to be about 5" too long to fit comfortably between the arms of the sofa. (What is interesting is the new mattress size is the same size as the fold out bed in the old 3400 since our mattress pad topper fits on the air mattress exactly the same as the previous mattress.) What concerns me most about this arrangement is the fact that your feet and head are now elevated to window level in the slides. This means unintended interaction with feet and day/night shades. I see trouble on the horizon here!!! I think what we have figured out is we are still going to turn the mattress so that it lies across the sofa and not along it. This will still result in overhang at the toe of the bed, but we have a plan. We have been strongly considering adding a nested ottoman set to the living room and now I can see an added benefit. I can place the ottoman beneath the foot of the air mattress and I think all problems are solved. When we get the ottoman set, I will post a picture. This will remove the feet from tangling with the day/night shade. Here is a link to the ottoman set we are looking at, we will be getting it in black to match the decor. We believe it will add even more functionality to the living room:

Ottoman set

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:26 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Nice set. If you guys don't want the wine that comes with it, I'l take it off your hands.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Any secret compartments? Nice
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
It's puzzling that Keystone would let it out the door without ensuring that it was tested to work perfectly as an integrated design. If I was king (and owned this company) all units would be thoroughly engineered and tested prior to production and market. How is it that a company as big as Keystone allows this to happen? I know on my job that I would be on the street corner selling pencils faster than you could whistle dixie if I allowed a product out the door like this.
Maybe I should start a RV company ....
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Hello. We bought an ottoman and we fight over it! Ottomans really work well with the couches. The ones that you are looking at seem interesting. However, we have another plan. Next week I'm contacting Keystone to see if I can purchase two replacement cushions for the couch, which I will use as tops to ottomans I will build. I will build them so the height of the couch and home built ottomans are the same. This way we will basically expand the usability of the couches. My friends have a Cougar fiver and it came with a built in ottoman that resides under the couch and opens up with folding legs. A genious piece and we don't have one in our Montys!
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:17 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I need to double check the sofa height. Another reason we selected the ottomans as shown is the feature of the tops turning over to adapt the long one to a coffee-type table as well as the nesting of the smaller ones to conserve space when the slides are brought in. I do know that the height of the outer ottoman exactly matches our stick house sofa, but I never thought to check the rig's sofa height. Guess I could put caster's on the bottom if need be. Will definitely get all of this worked out at Myrtle, where we will spend our Thanksgiving week. Looks like that is the next and last camping trip planned for the year. Winter-time mods and MOC forum participation will have to do after Thanksgiving!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote