Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
generators

HI all we are in our site at the Bowlin's Travel Center, at Picacho Peak. We have been told by the current Manager that thier are quite a few power outages. When it is 118 deq. if the power is out for a few hours. My DW is very concerned that her Yorkie may not survive the heat. What type and wattage of Generator would I most likey need to be able to keep the Montana cool enough. We have two air conditioners. Bedroom and Front room. we will only use the generator occasionally so I won't use it hardly ever after this.Is their a cost affective one for my situation?

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
randye,

We also have 2 a/cs on our 3075RL. When we bought it, we had the dealer install a 5,500 watt Onan generator in the front compartment. This has proved to be adequate for the 2 A/Cs provided that we did not also try to use the microwave.

If you can swing it, get at least a 5.5 KW genset to keep things going. I used my in Yuma in 105 degrees with no problems. Keep in mind that you may have to cut one of the A/Cs if you need to use the power on other devices.

We just spent Christmas at Fort Huachuca and were thinking about you when we headed home. Good luck with your new job.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have no experience with generators in the dessert, however, I do have experience in the heat in the dessert. Having lived in Tucson and flying all over AZ for 5 years, I, personally would not attempt to live in my Montana in that kind of heat. I guess the larger the better, but pretty costly also, they want a premium for them Onans. Just be sure not to purchase a "Contractor" generator as they are quite noisy and do not produce the "clean" power you need for your electronics and appliances......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
I have an eu6500isa. Its a very quiet, but expensive and a tad heavy. You need 2 strong people to lift into the bed of the truck. Otherwise, i love it. Like i said, its very quiet, even at full load, but look to spend close to 4k.
dmaxmountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You'll need at least 5500 watts to run what you have quite comfortably. It will be expensive whatever you choose, but once installed don't look back. Keep it maintained and you're good to go.

I have only 4000W with my portable 2000W Hondas, but that is the peak rating. Run rating is about 3000 to 3300 watts and I would not use that to RV in the heat unless I like 95 degrees inside... NOT!

Getting it installed is a whole other dollars topic, but again, if you can afford it, it is one way to get the best of all worlds. Another other way involves Solar Panels, lots of batteries, inverters and a whole lot of stuff, but I will go no further since you are interested in Gennys.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Cannot help with the generator question, but, if it were that hot outside I would not leave my yorkie(s) in the unit while I was gone, they would be with me. I get real nervous when the temps go past 90.

Good luck, enjoy.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:03 AM   #7
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Hi all thanks for the imput, I guess I will have to bite the bullet and cough up the cash to do this thing the right way, I will possible never use it after this year. Of coarse we never know when one will need the potable power. Sure is nice here in January 41 this morning and should be 70 after noon.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Randye, if you have one installed get the remote start. I have that on mine and it is very nice because about 20 minutes before we stop for lunch or pull into the camp ground for the day I start it. Then when we go into the unit it is nice a cool inside. No more waiting for a hot unit to cool down.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dennis, that would almost be worth the expense. How heavy are those things????? I have the prep installed but no gen set. I carry a Honda 2000 for emergencies, but of course, we are limited on power with it.

I remember travelling up the East Coast this summer with all that humidity and it sure would have been nice to do what you do.....By the time we got fully set up we were ready for a shower. DW can't stand the humidity.........REALLY!!!!! Since I do the outside, I expect to get hot and sweaty......
Old 01-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #10
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
To run two AC units will be required at that temp. I have only one and at 109 degrees it could not keep up. So you need at least a good 5500 watt generator. I have the factory installed Onan. Expensive but sweet.
It does however, burn quite a bit of propane. Not something you would want to run 24 hours at a time without plenty of propane available. The data sheet provided with the generator tells how much it burns per hour or you can get that info on line. For short, unexpected runs, just make sure you keep one tank full.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
thinking outside the box , if your truck is a diesel, leave the dog in it with the ac running. I know , i know...........
or , get the dog a room at motel 6 , that's a lot cheaper than a $ 5000 t $ 6000 tap for FIDO.

Has anybody ever used one of the new portable room ac's that yo just vent out your window and run onn 110 ac? After the last Houston hurricane, everybody on my block was using them with little coleman generators to great success.

if you have minimal ac power at your park, use one of these in your bedroom and vent it out the window - it just might work !
Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Phil, mine is a 8 KW and weighs around 300 pounds the 5500 will weigh less. I have been in 100+ and with the slides in going down the road one unit will cool it. We have used it quite a few times when thunder storms have knocked out the power in the camp ground.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dennis, That sure is tempting. I wonder what Keystone would say if I added another 300 lbs. I guess since I'm out of warranty it doesn't matter what they say......
Old 01-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Has anybody tried the Guardian gennies?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
There are some good ideas about how to deal with the pet requirements in the Arizona heat but leaving the dogs in a car is NOT one of them. It is illegal to leave a pet in the vehicle..... whether it is running or not. And the police are authorized to break into the vehicle to rescue the pet. By the time you added up all the expense involved with that type of process the large generator would probably start to look a lot more attractive.

I'll bet if you look around that area you'll be able to find a good "pet sitter". Or perhaps you can work up a good relationship with one of your new neighbors.

Best of luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #16
benwood
Established Member

M.O.C. #9708
brand new 2010 montana with 5500 onan generator propane powered
Can't keep it running when we put any type of load on it.
Plenty of propane.
Not really happy with Keystone due to a previous problem with our counter top being scratched so hesitant to get in touch with them again.
benwood is offline   Reply With Quote