Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2009, 06:17 AM   #1
biznsa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8999
Wireless Backup Camera System

There's a wireless backup camera system by 4UCAM (3.5" LCD Wireless Backup Camera System - Round Truck RV Rear view Camera + Color 3.5" LCD Monitor + Night Vision - Model 8907AZ)that has a movable transmitter that can be placed anywhere between the camera and monitor. If this works as advertised, it would solve the distance problem inherent in wireless backup camera systems. Is anyone familiar with this product or know of anyone who has used it.

biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The newer systems are "semi Wireless" as on the Late model Montana's. The pick up is on the front cap of the camper and it is hard wired from there to the rear of the unit. It is only wireless from the xmitter to the monitor which sounds like the one you describe.If I were to buy one now I would go wth the "semi wireless" system. Check out www.rvcams.com and see if theirs is like the one you saw.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:33 AM   #3
sunshineduo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8513
Ours is the factory model (Voyager brand) and it worked fine until we eventually discovered that the sending unit on the cap hadn't been sealed too well. On a rather long leg with driving rain and lots of crosswinds the sending unit filled with water and died.
We're working on a replacement, but are 2100 miles from our dealer and they want to replace the whole system. I did find just the sending unit for $96 so will probably buck that out and do the replacement myself. Save a couple of nights hotel expense while some dealer fixes it

Just make sure it's sealed well after it get's stuck on the rig.
sunshineduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Ray Audet
Established Member

M.O.C. #8296
We also have the factory Voyager backup camera and had the same problem as sunshineduo. The inside of the transmitter contained brown water. I replaced the transmitter and then put about 5 layers of clear silicone where it meets the front cap. Seems to work fine now.
Ray Audet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

After having a tri-camera system on our previous M/H; I have considered a camera for the Monty. I would like to hear from anyone who is actually using a back up camera now. I’m thinking that it would cause a problem when viewing it due to the perspective from the viewer’s position and the actual location of the camera while trying to back up. However, I would like to have the ability to view what is behind me and I think it could be very useful while changing lanes in heavy traffic. I would also like to have a second camera mounted on the roof to view a high point marker at the front to indicate if there would be a problem while approaching a low bridge. I think the semi wireless system that Rich is talking would be a good set up.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ours is mounted on the top rung of the ladder which is on the right side of the 06 3400 so it is perhaps 10 or 11 feet off the ground. It provides a wide view behind the camper. On the interstate I can see both lanes behind us and the berm on both sides. We can see vehicles directly behind us that we can not see in the mirrors and it covers that "blind spot" It is very helpful in changing lanes. Actually we seldom use it as a backup aid as no matter what we still prefer someone back there. Since it is high on the camper it does help in seeing higher branches when backing. As for a second camera to look for low bridges we never have considered that a high risk issue since we usually stick to interstates or primary roads. We absolutly would not leave home without the system in operation. We do have the hard wired system but if purchasing now I would go with the semi wireless system offered now as it eliminates the hassle of a connection between the truck and camper. We have been using the system for over two years.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
Ray Audet
Established Member

M.O.C. #8296
We really like the backup camera. As Rich said, we also appreciate it on the highway to see what is behind you. When backing up, it is nice to "see" what is behind you, as well as DW. By the way, the wireless backup camera also has a microphone on it which transmits to the cab as well as the picture. Might save a lot of mariages.
Have not considered putting another camera on top. However, the wireless system does have a button for a second camera and I have considered placing a camera on the curb side near the front about six feet off the ground to solve the blind spot when turning right. But so far, that's just in the consideration stage.
Saw some motorhomes at the Tampa show which had 3 cameras. The default was to the rear camera, but would switch to one of the side cameras automatically when the turn signal was used. Neat.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
biznsa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8999
richfaa...I like your idea of mounting the camera on the ladder. How do you route the cable going to the front?
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bill .My way is he easy way. There are better ways. We just ran the cable down the ladder rail then under the camper. It was originally taped to the under belly but it has been dropped enough times now that the cable is run inside the under belly.We came up through the right side propane tank and through the floor in the bedroom(3400) then into the front closet and down through the floor into the top of the hitch pin. Others have done a much better job by mounting the camera along the top of the camper about in the midde of the rear window then into the rear cabinets and then run through the inside of the camper to the front.. That was to much for me. Our cam also has sound and night vision. It is a aid in backing as you can see a person when they are directly behind you. We never use it as a stand alone device for backing.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We have the wireless Voyager model. As Ray said, it's great to hear, as well as see, the DW directing traffic (me). I also find it's a great aid to making curving approaches and avoiding shrubbery. I used it once stand-alone, in a pinch, when Kathy was in a grocery store in a small town and I had the rig pulled over against the curb, then it became necessary to back up to let somebody out of their unmarked driveway. I could see clearly that there were no kids behind the trailer as I inched it back, otherwise, I wouldn't have budged. I will check the transmitter housing as soon as we visit the Monty to check up on it (in our friends' farmyard).
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:15 AM   #11
Ray Audet
Established Member

M.O.C. #8296
Dave...Just a word to the wise. Don't just check to see if the transmitter looks sealed. Use some silicone to seal all around the housing. I thought mine was sealed as well, but rain got in there somehow.
To make sure that I didn't get silicone all over the place, I used masking tape about 3/16" from the edge. Then put a few layers of silicone and removed the tape. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
It is really great in heavy traffic when you want to change lanes. The way I have mine sit up is if I can see the front of the vehicle it is safe to change lanes.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:02 AM   #13
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Our transmitter did the same thing. Our dealer ordered a replacement under warranty and I installed it myself. I wanted to be sure the problem did not happen again. I removed the back plate and ran a bead of silicon around the lip and in the screw holes, then re-installed it. I then sealed the whole area were the wires enter the back before installing on the camper with the provided 2 sided tape. Good thing as I found that there is an inline fuse on the circuit and it is just stuffed up into the nose cap and was blown when the water shorted everything out. I have had no issues with it in over a year now. It is great to have when driving down the road as you can easily tell when you are clear of vehicles you are passing and can change lanes. I don't find it as helpful when backing up. I recently added a DVD/Navigation unit in the TV and wired the wireless receiver into the aux camera input which allowed me to do away with the suction cup monitor provided with the system.
druryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:47 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think the water in the transmitter issue is something Montana would like to hear about. That is the kind of feedback they like from us. You might want to find out who your regional or district sales rep is and let them know.