Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2022, 06:51 PM   #21
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanfx4 View Post
Your wrong. If the cops want to give a ticket for being over weight they have to take you to a DOT scale. I have a CDL and drove over the road for 30 years. They have to take you to a scale to give you a ticket.
I've seen CHP red tagging fifth wheels for being over weight. They use mobile scales.

Old 05-16-2022, 07:23 PM   #22
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanfx4 View Post
Your wrong. If the cops want to give a ticket for being over weight they have to take you to a DOT scale. I have a CDL and drove over the road for 30 years. They have to take you to a scale to give you a ticket.
This is not about CDL drivers. That is a whole different animal. This is non-CDL drivers operating a heavy RV and the license requirements are not based on actual scaled weight. They are based on the GVWR or the GCWRs (the ratings posted on the stickers) of the truck and trailer or the motor home. If the gross vehicle weight RATINGS exceed 26,001 lbs you are required to have either a class A non-CDL or class B non-CDL license even if the actual scaled weight is significantly less than 26,000 lbs. No where in the Texas non-CDL licensing requirements does it state actual or scaled weight.

Some other states are similar but others have differing requirements.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:50 PM   #23
snowmanfx4
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
I've seen CHP red tagging fifth wheels for being over weight. They use mobile scales.
Understand if they are mobile scale. I have never been pulled in to a scale or mobile scale. I have a friend that is a IL state DOT cop. He told me he had never made a RV to go in the scale. Most states not have the money or man power to watch RVs. How do you know if they gave that guy a ticket? Only Guys pulling campes to dealership have to cross the scales. Because they have DOT #s on there truck.
snowmanfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:29 PM   #24
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I don't know about TX, but come out to the Glamis Dunes Area in SoCal on Memorial Day Weekend and watch as the CHP tickets guys with lifted and tricked out 3/4 and even 1 tons towing their 18-20K toy haulers. Plus they have to leave the RV on the side of the road until someone licensed can pick it up. No scales used or needed.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:11 AM   #25
snowmanfx4
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I don't know about TX, but come out to the Glamis Dunes Area in SoCal on Memorial Day Weekend and watch as the CHP tickets guys with lifted and tricked out 3/4 and even 1 tons towing their 18-20K toy haulers. Plus they have to leave the RV on the side of the road until someone licensed can pick it up. No scales used or needed.
I understand giving tickets to lifted trucks pulling trailers. And looking over weight because of them big wheels on them, they don't look safe at all. Here in IL if I got stopped for being over weight, they better take to the scale. They could give a ticket but it wouldn't stand up In court. As far as Cal goes. Friends that are OTR drivers will not go to Cal.
I run my rig over Cat Scale all the time. F350 with 40ft 5th wheel. 80 gal of fuel and 60 gal of water in the holding tank I scale at 25,900. Never over 26,000
Old 05-17-2022, 06:57 AM   #26
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Same at the Pismo dunes area.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:38 PM   #27
snowmanfx4
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Same at the Pismo dunes area.
Since 2010 the Feds took over the DOT laws in the US. Every state has the same rules. CHP can give you a ticket for your truck but if they want to give you a ticket for being over weight they have to scale your rig. I was a safety manager for a construction company. Had to take a 4 day class about this new law.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:25 PM   #28
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Do you agree you can be issued a ticket for driving without a license (no scale involved)? Do you also agree that you can get a ticket for not having the correct license for the vehicle(s) you are driving? This is not a weight issue, it is a license issue. Some states require a specific type of license to drive certain vehicles. Even the feds require a CDL to drive an 80K lb. semi. They won't weigh the rig if you are caught driving without it; they will write a ticket.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:16 AM   #29
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Bingo,
Driving out of License Class or some such wording warrants a ticket.
To ticket you for over weight you would have to be scaled.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:27 AM   #30
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
In Texas (and some other states) you are required to have a class A non CDL if your GCWR (combined rated weights) is 26,001 lbs. That is the RATED weight, not the ACTUAL weight. On a scale your truck and trailer may weight 24,000 lbs. But if the combined sticker rated weights (GVWR) of the truck and trailer total 26,001 lbs then you are required to have a class A non CDL. So they do not have to know your actual weight to give a ticket if they were so inclined. And not likely to do so unless they pulled you over for some other infraction, which could be as simple as failing to give a turn signal or not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign.
Sorry, I totally disagree... GVWRs have Nothing to do with loaded and running weights.. Our stickers add up to.. 14000 gvwr of truck and 16000 on trailer.. No way would we be cited for a running weight of 23000 lbs.. Even tho the stickers add up to 30k..GVWR is the amount the truck can weigh loaded and the same with the trailer... I know of no one who would tow our trailer at 16000 lbs..gvwr. this would mean NO people can enter... No bird can land on the roof..Our state did have an "R" endorsement but they don't any longer..The only time they worry about weight is if one drives commercially. However, a year ago, Some guy from Tahoe loaded up his 35 foot boat with 6 tires and hooked up his ford f350.He could not stop at the bottom of Spooner Summit and Killed several people as the boat pushed the truck across the intersection of 50 and 395.. This Guy is Guilty and was arrested. Im sure if any law enforcement saw this they would have stopped him.. This had nothing to do with a license endorsement and everything to do with Blatent Overloading.. The boat Was HUGE! It should have been towed with a tractor ie Freightliner Commercially with a WIDE LOAD warning and a vehicle in front and at the rear.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:48 AM   #31
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
As noted several times above. And Carl made it especially clear. This discussion is about correct licensing. It had nothing to do with being over weight. It has to do with having the correct license to operate the vehicle in question. Rated weight. Actual weight is irrelevant.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
000 pounds, for over 26, texas drivers license