Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #1
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
Smile Maintaining interior chairs

New 294rl arrived about a month ago and I was wondering if anyone puts anything on the couch or recliners to keep them from cracking?
Second question is has anyone scotch guarded the dining room chair to prevent staining from spills or children?
Thanks for the help.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Hopefully your furniture is better than what came in our 2015. Faithfully wiped weekly with a leather/vinyl preservative, waste of time. Replaced everything. Scotchguarding the table chairs was not an issue.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:07 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We had the ResistAll package applied to everything in our camper, including everything covered with cloth. I think the leather couches and theater seating was treated because they sure were slick at first. Now, they seem normal. No cracks, no tears, and we have a 6 year old that somehow manages to jump on them a lot.

The kitchen chairs are covered with a cloth, so far, no spills or anything. But one chair did break when my son (34 years old), leaned back and broke it. I patched it back together and now you can't hardly see where the breaks in the wood were. We have it in the corner seat now, so no one can lean backwards any more on it. FYI, those kitchen stand alone chairs are made pretty cheap. They really cannot stand up to any kind of ill treatment at all, so always keep all 4 feet on the floor, and never, never, never push them backwards while sitting, dragging the feet across the floor, causing them to tip up on 2 legs. They will break!

They also treated all the walls with ResistAll too. This is a good thing and this is a bad thing. Granted, nothing sticks to the walls, and dirt, kitchen grease, what not, remove very, very easy. But on the down side, Command Hooks won't stick either! I had to use rubbing alcohol on the wall where I wanted to put a Command Hook in order for them to stick.

Our camper gets used every day for about 10 months out of the year. We've had it since September 2018. And I think all the treatment we got with the ResistAll was well worth it. In my 3 previous travel trailers, we had the Scotch Guard applied to everything possible, and then I did annual touch-ups with over-the-counter store bought ScotchGuard from the hardware store.

For us, it works and is well worth it. I recommend it for you too .... ESPECIALLY if you have young children (and even adult children) that camp with you (in the driveway or at a campground).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:11 AM   #4
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
Thanks for your reply, I’ll need to speak with the boss . Lol.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:31 AM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
We have dogs that do not know they are dogs. We covered THEIR couch with a cloth couch cover and we had a cowhide that we used to cover THEIR couch in our previous RV. DW also bought small cowhides for the seat and backs of the recliners. I did not realize that folks had issues with the pleather coming off the furniture. We have not noticed and issues with the pleather yet. Only time will tell.

We got fed up with the dining chair back conflicting with the window valence/side panels. It seems weird that they would furnish dining chairs with high backs. I knocked the window side panel off its bottom wall anchor a couple of times. We bought 2 chairs with a lower back that do not hit the side valences.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0483.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	6050  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:57 AM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
My advice is just use the pleather seating knowing full well it will go bad in about 3 years of part time use. In the mean time keep an eye out for their replacement.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:32 AM   #7
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Most of the fabric used is call Bonded Leather, which is a very thin layer of leather attached to a synthetic material. Bonded leather is absolute garbage it the leather is so thin this is why you see flaking about the same thickness of pain on the furniture in a couple years. The only way to preserve it is to not sit on it and cover it so no body oils get on the material.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:22 PM   #8
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Wife bought 2 recliner covers that we put over the theater seating.

Have a blanket thrown on the couch, we hardly ever sit on the couch.