Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2022, 08:43 AM   #1
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
RVairflow.com

Has anyone installed this product (RV airflow) and if so is it effective? I've watched some videos of bloggers (all who got the product for free) claim it works but I would like an opinion from someone who has installed it in a similar coach to mine.
I have a Montana High country 353RL, 2015 model and the thing I dislike the most is the AC units, they are noisy! The one in the living area is 15k and the bedroom is 13.5k I believe. I had to buy a new TV with better sound so I could hear the one in the Living area. When the shutters are open the noise is unbearable and really doesn't distribute the air other than to blow it on the couch. With the shutter shut, it really doesn't send much air upstream and the bedroom hardly gets any. The bedroom AC can't be run when we're trying to sleep unless you like sleeping under a jet engine. Any real life experience?

tom woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:31 AM   #2
Glenna
Established Member

M.O.C. #21213
We put it in our Montana 3611RL a month ago. Our unit is ducted so we have a 15k in living area and a 13.5k in the bedroom. As you say, you can't have the bedroom running when sleeping but we did not have a lot of noise in the living area.

To your question...yes it does improve air flow tremendously...probably the 40% that they claim in the videos. It does make the unit quieter and takes away the louvred vent portion that was the jet engine sound.

One of best upgrades we have made to our unit.

We will be at the rally.
Glenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:00 AM   #3
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
In my 2014 - 3850FL I made something similar myself because at the time RV Airflow didn't make one for that specific AC. It was a bit more labor to cut the foam board and tape everything, but significantly less expensive. I made a video you can review to see if this is something you want to take on yourself.
C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:06 AM   #4
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenna View Post
We put it in our Montana 3611RL a month ago. Our unit is ducted so we have a 15k in living area and a 13.5k in the bedroom. As you say, you can't have the bedroom running when sleeping but we did not have a lot of noise in the living area.

To your question...yes it does improve air flow tremendously...probably the 40% that they claim in the videos. It does make the unit quieter and takes away the louvred vent portion that was the jet engine sound.

One of best upgrades we have made to our unit.

We will be at the rally.
I've been interested in this solution, but on the website it seems they always show AC units with the big grill into the living area. Ours is a 2021 3790RD, and we do not have any big grill into the living area; it seems that the AC units dumps directly into the ducting.
So, does the RVairflow system work with the AC system like ours?

Thanks!

Brad
Old 08-17-2022, 01:51 PM   #5
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I looked at this product a couple of months ago. I even talked to the company owner on the phone for quite a while. He was very knowledgeable and helpful.

My Monty is also a ducted only set up which would require pulling the AC units from the roof to install. The ACs weigh around 90 lbs and I don't really have anyone to help lift them and going to a service center would be too costly for my appetite so I opted not to install. I also think the $189 for a piece of molded foam is a bit steep also.

As far as noise, there are 2 sources to consider. One is the air noise which these will help with. The other source of noise is mechanical; the compressor is mounted in the rooftop unit and there is inherent vibration there. The foam will absorb some of the sound, but not all.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:12 PM   #6
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon County View Post
I looked at this product a couple of months ago. I even talked to the company owner on the phone for quite a while. He was very knowledgeable and helpful.

My Monty is also a ducted only set up which would require pulling the AC units from the roof to install. The ACs weigh around 90 lbs and I don't really have anyone to help lift them and going to a service center would be too costly for my appetite so I opted not to install. I also think the $189 for a piece of molded foam is a bit steep also.

As far as noise, there are 2 sources to consider. One is the air noise which these will help with. The other source of noise is mechanical; the compressor is mounted in the rooftop unit and there is inherent vibration there. The foam will absorb some of the sound, but not all.
Thanks, I appreciate the reply!
I did suspect that the install would happen from the top...

My curiosity is not about noise reduction, but whether it will improve the air flow. That is what most are saying it does, but again I haven't seen reviews with a ducted only solution. Did they say anything about how their solution improves air flow in a ducted install like ours?

Thanks again,
Brad
Old 08-17-2022, 02:14 PM   #7
dannyrver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9072
I installed it and it does everything promised. Was not as easy as the video’s but with a little effort it’s in.

2017 Chevrolet 2500 DuraMax Pullrite hitch
dannyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:16 PM   #8
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyrver View Post
I installed it and it does everything promised. Was not as easy as the video’s but with a little effort it’s in.
Thanks I appreciate you sharing your good experience!
Is yours a typical AC with the big grill, or a ducted only solution like I have (no big grill, the AC dumps into the ducts from above and all I have is round air deflectors).
I'd really like to hear from someone first hand on how well it works with the ducted only models.

Thanks in advance!
Brad
Old 08-17-2022, 04:09 PM   #9
dannyrver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9072
Mine was the Dometic brisk 2 big back cover with dump vent.

2017 Chevrolet 2500 DuraMax Pullrite hitch
dannyrver is offline   Reply With Quote