Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2021, 02:54 PM   #1
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Keeping heat out with window film

Summer is here and I thought I would share this test I did last year.

Window film test
I have frameless windows with dark tint.
The problem is, the sun heats the glass, the aluminum frame conducts the heat right through to the inside of the RV and the frame gets so hot you cant touch it.
Putting reflective window film on the inside, I believe, is not effective. You need something to reflect the heat away before it gets in. OR shade the window entirely (awnings being best solution).
I ordered one silver and one bronze (matches my color scheme) reflective interior cling window film. I wanted something removable so I could put it on in the summer, to keep the sun/heat out. Then remove it in the winter, to let the sun in to warm the RV.
I put the film on the outside of the glass to reflect the heat away. I put silver on the left window, bronze on the right side and shade the top right side to compare all four (silver, bronze, shade, full sun).
Note: the film is made for window INTERIOR not exterior. Not my best work, lots of bubbles, after all, this is just a test.
RV rear window is facing due west. Test was done at 3pm under full direct sun. Outside air temperature 88°F.
Area:
A= full direct sun
B= shade (white towel)
C= bronze reflective film
D= silver reflective film
Temperature measured on the window FRAME on the INSIDE of each area using a laser thermometer.
A= 130 °F
B= 99 °F
C= 107 °F
D= 105 °F

Not that much difference in temperature between bronze and silver. Bronze does go with our color scheme so we will go with that for all windows that do not have awnings. I guess we will wait and see how long this cling film lasts. I'll let you know...
Installed 9-5-20.
Bronze film came off 10-29-20. But, full disclosure, I did not trim off the excess film (zoom in on the bottom right corner and you can see how much was overhanging) so it flapped a lot going down the road and eventually came off.
The silver film which was trimmed to the window edge finally fell off (4-20-2021).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reflective window film.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	9411  

Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:22 PM   #2
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
We just use Reflectix, found at Home Depot/Lowe's on our HC. There are several widths and lengths plus they have an aluminum tape if you need to piece it together. Pretty strong, rolls up easily and on ours, held against the window by the wood slat blinds: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Reflectix/N-5yc1vZ19n. It was also used successfully on our Glendale Titanium

I used my Harbor Freight temp sensor and checked the delta T and found about a 20* F without then with on a window. I also have used it on the ends of the slides which are black(??), not one of Keystones imaginative ideas and that too made a significant inside temp difference. I used 3M sticky back hook and loop to fasten it there as industrial strength Velcro wont stay in place in high heat. This hook and loop system could also be used inside as well
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #3
Firesnap

M.O.C. #28986
That is a tough one. Last Fall in Medford, we had some sunny days that heated up the inside so much the AC's could not keep up. We bought some silver lined bubble rolls from HD
(Internet# 315103268 Model# 48x25 RIStoreSKU#1003829119)
and put velcro tabs on them and the outside of the windows. Easiiy put up and taken off. Put them on about noonish on the sunny side windows, cut the heat down tremendously. Window frames not blistering hot and just one AC able to keep up easily.
We cut the bubble wrap just a bit oversize of windows. One side of the velcro does remain on the windows but pretty much disappear against the dark windows.
Hope this helps someone.
Nels
Firesnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 01:22 PM   #4
Blacksmith56

M.O.C. #29826
I installed the clinging tint to the exterior of my rear window that faces SW. It dropped the inside temp by 15 degrees on a 72 degree day. My inside temps easily reach 88 degrees prior to the tint. Can't wait to get them all done.
Blacksmith56 is offline   Reply With Quote