Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2004, 11:57 AM   #1
Montana_669
Established Member

M.O.C. #669
Washer Dryer combos

We were thinking about getting a washer/dryer but have been told that the combos don't hold much and don't work very well. The Splendide combo is the only one that will fit in our 3685.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Is it worthwhile buying one?

Thanks

Montana_669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:27 PM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
I have been wondering the same thing, I don't want to spend 1000.00 for something that don't do a good job. We are full timers and would rather go out to do the wash than pay for something that will not do a good job. I will be watching this post to see what everyone has to say about this.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:48 PM   #3
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
We got one mainly for our kids when camping at the beach throughout the summmer. We also have 3685 and have the splendine combo seems to work great.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 02:06 PM   #4
Montana_669
Established Member

M.O.C. #669
We were told that you could only wash and dry 2 ro 3 pair of jeans at a time or a small load of whites?? Anyone know if the is true ??

Thanks, Dave
Old 11-18-2004, 03:57 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We just got a Splendide 2100 in our new 3670RL. There are several Splendide models on the market and earlier ones may be different than current ones. These are high efficiency front-loading machines, don't compare them on size to a traditional home top loading machine.

I have only done a few loads of wash so far, but I am thrilled with it. Yes it is smaller than a home unit and the load is limited as stated, but it is fully automatic wash and dry combined. You can start it going and carry on with life. No more hanging around laundromats and searching for quarters! I think that as long as I don't let laundry build up, and do small loads regularly, our Splendide will keep up with our normal laundry needs quite easily. We may still have make occasional trips to the laundromat for especially heavy or bulky loads, but day-to-day clothes and bedding for two people should be no problem. A family with young children may be a different story.

A typical load as described in the owner's manual is:
2 to 3 bath towels (27 x 52 100% cotton), one hand towel (16 x 28), one to two wash cloths (13 x 13)

Check the Splendide website, www.splendide.com

Donna.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 04:03 PM   #6
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We have a Splendide washer i our rig. We were looking for a smaller RV but anything shorter than 35' you couldn't get a washer in and Glub WOULD NOT give up her washer. We have had it for seven years and it just keeps working. She washes a load a day. It is slow drying but when we have the skirt up in front she hangs them on the lines we put there. So no one can see our laundry. She loves it. So far had to replace the fan on the dryer. Did it myself. Think it cost $45. Clothes are clean. It wont do large loads but it seams like I wear a shirt one day and the next day it is in the closet. Know we bring way to many clothes. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 05:09 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have read many reports on other forums that state that the Splendide dryer operation is particularly inefficent, but I have no direct experience with the unit.

We have a Kenmore stacked unit that is evidently larger than a combined unit but smaller capacity than a household unit. It's more like a limited space apartment unit. Each of the units (washer and dryer) work as one might expect. The stacked unit does comsume the entire closet except for a little space at the top where we store the supplies for it.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:12 AM   #8
Montana_1280
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1280
We had decided that going to the laundry wasn’t so bad and would not get a washer/dryer, at least for now. Then we got a Sears A88732 (110 volt unit) stacked as a gift from wife’s parents. Let me tell you, it went in our 3295RK, but barely. There is absolutely no room to spare. It took 3 of us to get it in the unit……very heavy (which concerns me)…256 lbs. shipping weight. I suppose the combo units are also heavy. I could not find a weight on the web site for Splendide.
Anyway, the sliding door between living room and bath had to be removed and the door stop trim has to be removed on both sides of the door to washer/dryer "closet". Some of the trim, but not all, can be replaced after the unit is in place. And of course the sliding door goes back in place.
We don't have it working yet since the dryer is vented and the vent is not in. It is much less expensive than the combos...less than $800.00.
More to follow when and if we get it working.
Montana_1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 04:16 AM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The Splendide 2100 weighs 161 lbs. It fits easily into the W/D closet of our 3670. They list around $1000 at Camping World or Camper's Choice. We got ours thrown as a "deal maker" when we bought our new unit. Likley the main factor in choosing one over the other is the volume of wash. Full timers, or families with more than two, would probably be happier with the stacked pair.
I believe much of the negative comment about Splendides may be based on the earlier or smaller models. The 2100 has a bigger capacity than the others. Drying on 110 volts is never going to be fast, you can only get so much heat out of a given circuit.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:05 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
PrairiePoodle, your 3280 should be able to handle either a combo or the stack. I think Vicki would agree we're very pleased with our stack. I'm sure the combo does a nice job, too, but don't have any experience with them. I'm sure Vicki would be glad to email with you or anyone else if they have questions. Or post here.

OntMont, what I heard negative about some of the older Splendide had to do with extremely slow drying times of the UNVENTED dryers. I would think the vented ones would be much better and ANY unvented dryer would be slower. Unless I'm missing something.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 05:43 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Do a search on the MOC as there has been a lot written on this subject. We have also talked to people first hand who have the non vented combo and they love it. We think this is the way we will go when we go full time on the road. Since we still have our stick house, we take the laundry home every couple of weeks (that's Ed job). If there is only 2 in the family, I can't believe there is that much laundry. The nice thing about the combo is it does not take up the entire closet so you sstill have some storage space. In the 3400 there is something you have to do to the floor but I can't get a good answer from Keystone although I've tried 3 times. If anyone does, please let me know.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 02:41 PM   #12
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

We have also talked to people first hand who have the non vented combo and they love it.
Unless absolutely essential, I would avoid non-vented dryers. Is there some advantage to non-vented that I am missing?
Old 11-20-2004, 04:37 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Yes, cost. Our dealer wants $480 to vent and install the unit. We don't feel comfortable about cutting a hole in our baby. And since I am living in it, we can't take it to camping world who I understand does not do such a great job.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 04:15 PM   #14
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
We have the Splendide 2000S in our unit (came with it) and absolutely love it.

It does a fantastic job of getting clothes clean on a tablespoon of Tide and 12 gallons of water per load.

When we were being walked through the trailer, the Sales 'Droid was most adamant that the Splendide not be run unless the aft grey tank was draining. Not so! After dumping the black tank one day, I forgot to re-open the aft grey until, after running 3 loads of laundry, Terri noticed that the shower was backing up. OOOPS!! Oh, well, it was an easy "cure"...

Still, it's nice to know that we could do laundry while travelling down the road...
Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:21 AM   #15
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we have the 3685 and the splendide. bought it from camping world. works great! yes it will only do a small load, but it is still worth while depending upon your needs. if you are in the unit full time...or for a seasonal camp site then it will pay for itself. if you are an occaisional part time camper, it would be better going to the laundry matt.

it's true about the small loads, but it's so quick to fill and start...and also to unload. with only having a few items, it only takes 2 minutes to do laundry. we will put a load in first thing in the morning after taking showers. let it go for a few hrs. then come back for it then do another load. the nice part is that your not stuck at the laundry matt waiting. do it at your own schedule. no more wet towels laying around!

I would get a vented model! another thing I have noticed with the 3685, is that with the washer/dryer being in the rear of the camper...it shakes the camper alot more than it would with a front bedroom unit! still doesn't bother me though.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:20 AM   #16
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We have had a Splendid washer (vented) for about four years now. It came in our Terry and when we bought the Montana, we moved it over to it. Nothing but praise. No problems. My wife washes small loads as directed and it works great. Be sure to get the vented one.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren VA
2003 3655FL Montana/Ford F350 Diesel
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:04 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Yes, cost. Our dealer wants $480 to vent and install the unit. We don't feel comfortable about cutting a hole in our baby. And since I am living in it, we can't take it to camping world who I understand does not do such a great job.
Parrothead, if your Montana has the w/d prep it should have a place for the vent marked on the wall where the vent should go. It's not a difficult task to cut that hole and install the vent. CW has installed lots of them. I'd think they'd be capable of doing this. Ours was installed by our Montana dealer.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 06:16 AM   #18
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
Dalovett,

We have the same camper as you. The Splendide 2000S is the only one that I could find that would fit into Washer / Dryer closet. All the others are too deep. If you buy one get the vented model. Un-vented models take much longer to dry.

We mainly go on weekend trips and a 2 week vacation during the summer. Although we usually bring enough clothes we usually do a wash to keep everything clean. We hate going to laundry mats to do the laundry so the addition of the W/D was the right call.

We usually put a load in early in the morning and just let it wash and dry. Later we come back and fold the clothes. It’s never been inconvenient. It does a small load but if you do one or two a day you should be fine.

Being located in the rear of the camper it WILL get bounced around. Ours bounced to the point of hitting and knocking the shelf above loose. I made a bracket to hold it in place and have not had any problems since.

On my 3685FL the W/D drain does not have a valve to open and close. The drain goes directly to the sewer line. If you do not open your gray or galley valve and you keep your sewer closed IT WILL FLOOD YOUR CAMPER! I always hook up to the sewer as part of my set up process so there isn’t a problem but some people boondock with no sewer connections. If you don’t have a sewer connection to hook up to you must open either or both your gray and galley valves to let the water go into.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:41 AM   #19
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
It not should cost $480 to install a vent. If a dealer wants more than an hour's labour plus a few dollars for parts, go looking elsewhere! (It probably would not be hard to DIY).

On fitting the 2100, the current models (as of Spring 2004) are 23.38 inches deep. The published dimensions are now 33.25 high x 23.4 wide x 23.38 deep.

Old 11-22-2004, 04:38 PM   #20
Montana_669
Established Member

M.O.C. #669
Thank you all for you comments an suggestions. I think my question has been answered.

Thanks again, Dave