Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2021, 12:28 AM   #1
Chief Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27901
Ram Air Suspension Issues

I have a new 2020 Ram 2500 with the air suspension. When I get to a site I lower the truck to the alternate height. But as I raise the fifth wheel to take it off the truck the truck wants to fill the shocks with air. Has anyone else had this problem?

Chief Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:16 AM   #2
Option 65
Established Member

M.O.C. #23154
I too have the Ram air suspension and mine does the same thing. I go into the suspension menu and turn the air system to the tire jack mode which disables the compressor. Once I get unhooked, I turn the tire jack mode back off. If there is a simpler way to accomplish the same thing I haven’t found it.
Option 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:11 AM   #3
Chief Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27901
What do you do as you are hooking up? Do you leave it in normal ride height or do you lower to alternate height?
Old 06-19-2021, 09:12 AM   #4
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
I always drop in the normal position and before pulling out put it in the ALT position.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:11 PM   #5
Chief Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
I always drop in the normal position and before pulling out put it in the ALT position.
There in lies my problem. When I start taking the fifth wheel off the back of the truck starts up. Then I get a message on the dash that the air suspension is temporarily disabled. I have drive it around until the shocks reposition to normal ride height.
Old 06-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #6
Chief Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27901
I am going to try “Jack mode” tomorrow to load and unload
Old 06-19-2021, 03:27 PM   #7
Option 65
Established Member

M.O.C. #23154
When I connect with my Ram factory air suspension, I don’t do anything with the suspension settings. I just sit the trailer down onto the hitch and let the suspension do whatever it needs to level.

Before I drive away, I drop the trucks suspension to the lower ride height.

When I arrive at my destination the first thing I do before getting out of the truck is to disable the air suspension by putting it in the tire jack mode. That disables the compressor. Then as I raise the trailer off the hitch, the truck stays in a static position. Once I drive away from the trailer I turn the tire jack mode OFF and the compressor and air dump valve reset the trucks ride height back to normal.

I know it sounds like a lot of messing around but after you do it a couple times it becomes routine.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:45 PM   #8
Chief Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Option 65 View Post
When I connect with my Ram factory air suspension, I don’t do anything with the suspension settings. I just sit the trailer down onto the hitch and let the suspension do whatever it needs to level.

Before I drive away, I drop the trucks suspension to the lower ride height.

When I arrive at my destination the first thing I do before getting out of the truck is to disable the air suspension by putting it in the tire jack mode. That disables the compressor. Then as I raise the trailer off the hitch, the truck stays in a static position. Once I drive away from the trailer I turn the tire jack mode OFF and the compressor and air dump valve reset the trucks ride height back to normal.

I know it sounds like a lot of messing around but after you do it a couple times it becomes routine.
So you travel with the truck in lower alternate height.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:50 PM   #9
Option 65
Established Member

M.O.C. #23154
Yes, that setting make my ride level and gives me 7” bed clearance.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #10
Chief Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27901
Thanks guys! Y’all have given me some peace of mind. I was trying to work with a service manager at a dealership and he was not being very helpful.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:27 PM   #11
Chief Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27901
Are you guys also using the puck system in your Ram trucks?
Old 06-20-2021, 11:24 AM   #12
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Brown View Post
Are you guys also using the puck system in your Ram trucks?
I have the puck system in mine with a curt 20K.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:22 AM   #13
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Brown View Post
I have a new 2020 Ram 2500 with the air suspension. When I get to a site I lower the truck to the alternate height. But as I raise the fifth wheel to take it off the truck the truck wants to fill the shocks with air. Has anyone else had this problem?
Hi Chief Brown,

I have a 2020 RAM 3500 with factory air suspension also. Use to take a look of work getting hooked and un-hooked. Now it is not a problem, just follow the following steps and it is easy.

Unhook:

1) Don't mess with lowering or disabling Air Suspension.
2) Put down front feet until pin just starts to rise off of plate.
3) Now un-plug 5th wheel cord and break away cable, and stow in pin box.
4) Lower tailgate. (by this time the air bags will have dropped the truck and the 5th wheel is to high).
5) Lower pin so it is just touching hitch plate again.
6) Pull release handle on hitch and drive out slowly from pin box.

Hookup:

1) Set pin box at same level as hitch (maybe a 1/4" lower depending on hitch).
2) Back into pin box until latched (I like to put drive in drive and release the brake to make sure I am latch completely, then put in park).
3) Connect cable and break away cable, put tail gate up.
4) Retract all jacks.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:20 AM   #14
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
RAM Air

I do exactly what 7.3 Ford does. Never an issue. EazyPeazy! I have the same truck with RAM Air.

If memory serves me correctly the ALT HITCH HEIGHT is for use with bumper hitch trailers. Not goose or 5th...Could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that that's what it was intended for.
2017 3661RL
GHallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #15
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
I don't understand. Why are you messing with the "auto level?". I back up to the 5ver and lower the trailer.. As the trailer pushes the truck's rear end down the compressor brings the truck to normal height. When I unhitch, the truck returns to normal... Again, I don't understand why one would "play with it" since it is automatic...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:02 AM   #16
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
I don't understand. Why are you messing with the "auto level?". I back up to the 5ver and lower the trailer.. As the trailer pushes the truck's rear end down the compressor brings the truck to normal height. When I unhitch, the truck returns to normal... Again, I don't understand why one would "play with it" since it is automatic...
Because after you take the weight off the hitch, the truck lowers from where it was, and the kingpin get caught in the hitch when you try to drive out. This is why I have to lower the kingpin a little after the truck settles a little down.

May not be an issue for you, but my BD3 doesn't like it.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:34 PM   #17
Chief Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I have the puck system in mine with a curt 20K.
Are you riding level? I have the Curt adapter (the 4 legs) with the Curt Q20 slider hitch. My truck is a 2020 Ram 2500 short bed. The adapter is causing the front of the camper to ride high, 9"at pin and 6"at tailgate. My concern is the amount of weight being transferred to the rear tires. Plus it also sits the rear of the camper low.

If you are level, or close, how did you accomplish getting level?
Old 07-06-2021, 03:54 PM   #18
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHallof View Post
I do exactly what 7.3 Ford does. Never an issue. EazyPeazy! I have the same truck with RAM Air.

If memory serves me correctly the ALT HITCH HEIGHT is for use with bumper hitch trailers. Not goose or 5th...Could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that that's what it was intended for.
My understanding is that ALT Hitch Height reduces the pressure in the air bags. On the 2500, it is a full air spring instead of coils. On the 3500 it is air bags that supplement the leaf springs (there is less leaf springs so this is not the same as just adding aftermarket air bags to leaf springs).
The reason this is important is twofold:
1-it will lower the truck about an inch so that it tows more level. I would argue this is more important for a 5th wheel than bumper hitch travel trailer as you can get drop hitches for those. (note the 2500 will drop immediately due to its full air spring, but the 3500's do not drop much when empty as the leaf pack still supports the empty truck, but once the load is applied the truck will sit about 1"-1.5" lower)

2-reducing air prevents air bag blowouts. I have not heard of this happening on a 3500, but there are a number of 2500 users on the Ram forum who have not used ALT hitch height and suffered an airbag rupture when towing and hitting a large bump. Again I would argue this is just as much or more important on a 5th wheel; especially a large 5th wheel like a Montana.

I have always used ALT hitch height when towing. I don't see a reason not to.

However, for RAM 3500 users, it's important to understand the system - the leafs will prevent it from dropping much when empty, so don't expect it to help much with lowering the bed for hitching.

Brad
Old 08-28-2021, 03:24 PM   #19
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Ford View Post
Because after you take the weight off the hitch, the truck lowers from where it was, and the kingpin get caught in the hitch when you try to drive out. This is why I have to lower the kingpin a little after the truck settles a little down.

May not be an issue for you, but my BD3 doesn't like it.
Mine does not do that.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote