Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2020, 04:40 PM   #21
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by eZAK View Post
We have just finished our second weekend trip in our new HC.

What we did on both trips pertaining to the fresh water;
1) Put about ten gallons in, through water inlet, for flushing.
2) At campground I filled tank until it came out vent in rear.
3) Used water sparingly, dishes, toilet, one quick rinse shower each.

Anyways let me know what you think
Just in case you are missing the drain cap like mine was you need to buy one and cap the fresh tank dump in the rear of the trailer. Number 2 above perhaps?

Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:09 PM   #22
AZMont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26281
Another option....

Here is a picture of a 12v water pump I mounted with a switch and some fittings that allows me to load water into my units water port from 5 gallon water cans. I also put a 12v plug in my outdoor utility closet by running a fused line from the battery to a "cigarette lighter receptacle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump for pressure fill from 5 gal can.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	7631  
AZMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:30 PM   #23
Mikelff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by eZAK View Post
How much bleach do you use?
I use, as many do, 1/4 cup bleach for every 15 gallons of water.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:58 PM   #24
MontanaMan294RL
Established Member

M.O.C. #26080
Water capacity and loss from tank vent

I also have a 294RL and seem to be short on water. After my first trip of 4 nights I ran out of water on the last morning. When I got home I filled the water tank until overflowing the vent. I then drained the water into 5 gallon pails thru the fresh water tank drain. I was able to capture 11 pails nearly full. From the 66 gallons advertised capacity that would be about 50 to 54 gallons in the tank leaving 12 in the water heater.
I thought maybe we just used more water than we did in our previous trailer. So off to camp again. We left the house full of water. As I was towing I noticed everytime I turned right water would free flow out the vent at the back of the trailer. Enough water spilled out you could clearly see a wet trail on the road. After driving 70 miles of hills and turns we arrived at Traverse City State Park. I set up and leveled the trailer and checked the water level, now only two thirds full on the indicator panel. We camped three nights and used water as we normally do. We ran out again on the forth morning. I brought the trailer home and leveled it in the driveway. I drained what water was left in the fresh water tank into 5 gallon buckets and got about 8 gallons of water from the tank.
After the loss of water while towing and not being able to get more from the fresh water tank I am thinking of carrying a portable water tank and pump for extended trips to state parks or boondocking. I sure wish I could count on having closer to 50 gallons of water to use without having to refill.
Maybe Keystone could address the spillage from the vent and have a better (lower) pick up in the tank for the pump.
MontanaMan294RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:50 PM   #25
Dgeisser
Established Member

M.O.C. #26900
Hi
How much solar do you have when your Out 5-7 days
Or do you have a generator?
Dgeisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:16 AM   #26
MontanaMan294RL
Established Member

M.O.C. #26080
I don't have any solar or generator. The state and county parks we stay at have electric only. The off grid state forest campgrounds usually have low trees and too small sights to get the fifth wheel in.
MontanaMan294RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #27
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Noisy water pump. Could be the pex lines vibrating against the backside of the convenience center wall when the pump is on. Turns out my pump is pretty quiet after isolating the pex lines.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote