Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2015, 01:57 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Surge Protection 101--Explaining to a Newbie

Friends of ours who are relatively new to RVing just bought a new SOB bumper-pull 28' trailer. The salesman told them that they just needed a 30-amp surge protector "because their trailer didn't have many electricals." He also told them they needed a connector from their rig to be sure they could use it with power at their house, among other places. By the time he was through trying to sell them the protector, they were so confused that they left the dealership without buying one. They called us and said they know they needed a protector (knew that we had a 50-amp one) but did they need one when they plugged in to "regular" shore power at their house or did they just need one when they camped and plugged into a generator or stayed at an RV park. They're pretty spooked about power because their daughter's family just plugged their RV into a generator when dry camping, and the generator burned up and fried all the wiring in their RV.

Our friends know they absolutely have to use a surge protector, but they're so confused now about what they need and where they need it that I had a hard time trying to explain surge protection to them. How can I explain exactly what they need without confusing the issue even more? (I'd ask Wayne, but he's not here this afternoon, and I don't feel confident enough to explain this lucidly!)

Thanks,
Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
They could call the Progressive customer service desk. Those folks are great and could answer all their questions.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Carol, a lot easier over the phone but here goes.
A good one I recommend Progressive Industry will protect for multiple errors. Here is their web page. This is the pedestal model.
And this is the hard wired model which I use.
The error codes are
E-0 Normal Condition
E-1 Reverse Polarity Condition (hot and neutral wires reversed)
E-2 Open Ground
E-3 Line 1 Voltage High (above 132 volts)
E-4 Line 1 Voltage Low (below 104 volts)
E-5 Line 2 Voltage High (above 132 volts)
E-6 Line 2 Voltage Low (below 104 volts)
E-7 Line Frequency High (above 69 cycles)
E-8 Line Frequency Low (below 51 cycles)
E-9 Data Link Down
E-10 Replace Surge Protector Module.

Lets try this for a start. Pm me if you or they would like my phone number.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:31 AM   #4
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Progressive industries as stated above or TRC surge guard. they both do the same thing. Over voltage, under voltage, reverse polarity, open nuetral, open ground. Yes I use it at home also. you never know when you can get a spike or brown out. It pays to be protected.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote