Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Please review your Samsung fridge RF197 ACRS

With the help of cw3jason we have been looking into the specs etc. of the Samsung residential fridge that Keystone is suppling with the new Montanas.

But holy cow once one reads the ugly reviews that many consumers have posted on these things one begins to wonder if they will be any less trouble than the rv fridges we currently have.

Consistent problems noted are breaking hinges and handles, poor cooling, water dripping from icemaker and forming a glob and the most noted is water forming in or under bottom store bins as well as frequently frosting up.

Are these so far trouble free for testing members that have them???

2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Can't say about the ones they are putting the Montes. But in looking for a new fridge for home and looking at multiple reviews for different brands, the Samsungs were lower rated (I.e. more problems) than most other common brands.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
I have read the reviews as well. about 50/50. Consumer reports loved it and rated it a best buy. It has an excellent energy star rating. I have not experianced any of the problems with ours. The ice maker has not been a problem, because I have not hooked it up. It resides in a slide and I would have to run the line down and outside the slide exposing it to the weather. This takes away from the 365 living concept as the line would freeze in the winter. I did experiance the buzzing people talked about in the reviews. a little research and I found out you have to shut off the ice maker if it is not hooked up or the solenoid will buzz like an alarm clock every couple minutes. It was easy to turn off, one press of a button. The only other problem I have read, but not personally experianced is ice build up interfearing with the fan in the backside of the unit. Probably not much of a problem in an RV unless you run the fridge 365 days a year and it never gets a chance to thaw.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One thing to remember is that Samsung got the order by being the low bidder.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
smgraff

M.O.C. #14651
We have been in our new Montana with the residential fridge for about a month now. Ice maker was frustrating until learning that in order to use the ice maker we had to take out a drawer from under the oven and flip a switch for the water line. No one tells you these things because they apparently don't know anything about them at the dealers.
Now everything has been just great with the fridge. The ice maker works great and is not very loud when it drops ice. Ours at home is very noisy. Every thing great so far. My husband isn't sure about the inverter. When should the switch be on and when should it be off. Have to do some research on that. They didn't include a manual.
Sheila
2015 3721RL Legacy Edition Montana
2015 Ford F350 Platinum Edition
smgraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:37 AM   #6
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by smgraff

We have been in our new Montana with the residential fridge for about a month now. Ice maker was frustrating until learning that in order to use the ice maker we had to take out a drawer from under the oven and flip a switch for the water line. No one tells you these things because they apparently don't know anything about them at the dealers.
Now everything has been just great with the fridge. The ice maker works great and is not very loud when it drops ice. Ours at home is very noisy. Every thing great so far. My husband isn't sure about the inverter. When should the switch be on and when should it be off. Have to do some research on that. They didn't include a manual.
Sheila
2015 3721RL Legacy Edition Montana
2015 Ford F350 Platinum Edition

Check out my post on the inverter. I did a bunch of research and talked to the manufacture directly. I hope you find it useful.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...Terms=inverter
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #7
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
We have a 2015 Montana 3611RL with the Samsung fridge. Ice marker works fine, once you turn the water on in two places, one is behind the drawer under the range, and the other is under the kitchens sink. We did have a bunch of frost in the freezer, but found that the door doesn't shut and make a good seal until you push it shut. No more problems since that.

The mounting pulled loose from the wall is the only other issue we had which I fixed myself.

We don't use the inverter supplied, we have the disconnect in the power off position. The inverter will shutdown if voltage goes over some limit, which my solar panels will reach while traveling. So we don't use it at all. See my blog March entries in my tag line for more information on my installation.

Also one battery will only run the frig for 8-12 hours max. I can't tell you if the truck will supply enough power while traveling, since my solar panels are supplying my DC loads.

Our unit sits in storage without power, so I go and turn it on one to two days before we are going to leave and turn it on in the morning. I have run it a week without shore power, just to make sure I had enough solar power for boondocking.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote