Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2010, 05:40 AM   #1
pound99
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1836
one air condition testimonial

Hello,

We are staying in Tampa with heat 98 degrees Saturday and heat index in the low hundreds. We have been cool in our camper with the vents closed on the main units blowing air evenly throughout the camper. I keep the fan on low at all times for even flow. The bedroom has the two ceiling vents pointed to us with cool air coming out. No need for second air unit.

We keep the air set on 75 degrees. We have a indoor temperature atomic clock on our desk. It is reading 75 degrees. We could make it cooler but want to conserve the electric. I think the key is keeping the fan on at all times. The air does recycle on and off. We do have a shady site. Maybe this is the key.

We cleaned our air conditioner filter before the hot weather began.

pound99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:18 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pound99

Hello,

We are staying in Tampa with heat 98 degrees Saturday and heat index in the low hundreds. We have been cool in our camper with the vents closed on the main units blowing air evenly throughout the camper. I keep the fan on low at all times for even flow. The bedroom has the two ceiling vents pointed to us with cool air coming out. No need for second air unit.

We keep the air set on 75 degrees.
Are you saying the one AC maintains 75*? If not, what temperature does it maintain?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We have an 07 3400RL and 2 AC's, when it's as hot as you said we run both AC's to keep it cool, by cool we are saying 73 to 74. With my breathing condition we need to keep it cool, heat and humidity is a real problem right now. I really don't see how 1 AC cuts it, on 1 in our coach at those temps it will stay about 80 and never shut down.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JimF

We have an 07 3400RL and 2 AC's, when it's as hot as you said we run both AC's to keep it cool, by cool we are saying 73 to 74. With my breathing condition we need to keep it cool, heat and humidity is a real problem right now. I really don't see how 1 AC cuts it, on 1 in our coach at those temps it will stay about 80 and never shut down.
We have about the same temps as you running one unit. If one unit will hold 75* with 98* high humidity outside air, I want to find out what brand it is so I can buy one.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
No way mine will or ever did keep up at those temperatures set to 75. I would be in the 80's. Consider yourself very lucky. I am going to get another A/C added but I like it about 70. 75 is way too hot for me.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Shade will definitely help. Filter is routine maintenance here. In fact, I just bought and installed a new filter.

Does your unit cycle on and off? Not the fan, but the compressor? I can turn the ceiling fan off, aim the vent in the kitchen at the thermostat, and it will cycle. But, I'd just as soon let it run all day. Even at 80, with the air moving, it ain't bad. Oh, and we have two units; I just don't want the meter spinning so fast it flies off the pedestal.

On edit, I suppose you answered my question when you said the air cycles off and on.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
One works for me too. Can't justify the second one yet. I've been in 90 degree plus temps with high humidity in LA twice and the warmest my 76 degree thermostat setting ever let the RV got to is 78. The bedroom is always cooler than the main living area. I did have either the benefit of covering west facing windows with bubble foil (when trailer faced North and no shade) or currently trees shading most of my West side (trailer facing South) and awning deployed. Also have slide toppers that may help a little.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
If you are in the shade 100% that is what is saving you. If you ever end up without any shade one unit will not do the job in those conditions. If you attempt to use the stove it could be problems as well. In and out the door much or a variety of factors could cause your interior temps to rise. Myself for one I want to be able to crank it down and get some serious relief from the heat when I go inside. When we camp at Myrtle Beach in July one unit will never make it even on a shady site. I know many who have tried it including myself.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have had one air and have never had any issues with cooling. We do not like it under 74. But.... 2 weekends ago we where at the ocean in the 90's, like someone else said the stove on and it was not doing the job. The first time I thought about the 2nd air. We also was not in shade which did not help the situation. We ended up closing off the bedroom and opening up the vent on the air and it finally got comfortable. I hate giving up my vent for the second air so we are staying with one but make some changes if need be. #1 no cooking inside.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
cdaniels, Don't know your model number, ( you should put it in your signature along with TV model and year for both). My second AC in the BR is through the ceiling and not a vent. Perhaps you could look into that. It was 98 yesterday and the lowest we could get the trailer was 78, that was with shades drawn and 4 inch padding in two vents. We like it a little cooler inside. Currently on 30 amps so 2nd AC not possible. We were in Florida last year with high temps and humidity and one AC was not near enough, Actually felt like it needed three..........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #11
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
We found that keeping the Fan-tastic vent open helps keep it cool in ours with the AC on.
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I think having shade is the key. Our site here in a campground in the Tucson area has very little shade. The outside temps have gotten up into the 98-104 range each day for the last week. We run both of our AC units nonstop during the day and keep the day/night shades closed on any window getting any sun. The living room unit on our 340RLQ (same size rig as the 3400RL) is set to run the fan constantly and to dump all the cold air into the living room and not pipe any of it into the bedroom. Even with that dump vent wide open, the coolest we can get in the living room at mid-day is 83-86. The bedroom unit can keep the bedroom in the low 70s, where we try to keep it in the hopes that some of the cold air in the bedroom will spill into the kitchen and help out the living room unit. I don't even want to think how hot our rig would get here in the sun if we didn't have a bedroom unit to help out.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

I think having shade is the key. Our site here in a campground in the Tucson area has very little shade. The outside temps have gotten up into the 98-104 range each day for the last week. We run both of our AC units nonstop during the day and keep the day/night shades closed on any window getting any sun. The living room unit on our 340RLQ (same size rig as the 3400RL) is set to run the fan constantly and to dump all the cold air into the living room and not pipe any of it into the bedroom. Even with that dump vent wide open, the coolest we can get in the living room at mid-day is 83-86. The bedroom unit can keep the bedroom in the low 70s, where we try to keep it in the hopes that some of the cold air in the bedroom will spill into the kitchen and help out the living room unit. I don't even want to think how hot our rig would get here in the sun if we didn't have a bedroom unit to help out.
You might try a fan from the bedroom to living room, I placed one on the stairs and it seemed to help, (when I had 50 amp power, that is).
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:17 AM   #14
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
We are in Gulf Shores, AL now and the outside temps are in the mid-90s. We are glad we got the 2nd AC when we bought our Montana because with both ACs running we can keep it in the low 70s inside without any problem. Our site is in full sun. At night we just run the one in the living area and that keeps it cool until morning in the whole trailer. If you live in a hot part of the country I would recommend the 2nd unit.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:03 AM   #15
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We only have one A/C unit and it seems to do a fairly adequate job. However, I do wish we had two A/C’s because the B/R stays warmer than the rest of the camper even at night.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:24 AM   #16
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
Just got back from a weekend in Houston - HOT !! mid 90's and HIGH humidity , staying in a non-shaded Trader Village parking lot type location. We were glad to have two ac's , but they had no problem keeping us cool during the day. I don't think one ac could have done it until later in the evening. Humidity was main problem.
Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:40 AM   #17
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Last year, when we were camping out in the "open" in Salem, OR. it hit 106 degrees outside air temp. With one unit it could maintain about a 20 degree differential between indoor and outdoor temps. In otherwords, 106 degrees out, 86 degrees in. Actually, it hit 85 degrees inside by the end of the day, around 5 PM. Humidity was up a bit as well. Amazingly, we were on a 20 amp service, and it held. BUT, nothing else in the rig was turned on. Rig is a '07 3400. But, not ready to go out and get another AC yet. Here in the NW it is rare to hit temps like that. Usually 80's or low 90's are the norm and low humidity in the valley.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:42 AM   #18
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We may look into a second air if it is not in the vent. Good suggestion. I also put our Montana and truck in the signature as suggested. Thanks
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #19
elwood
Established Member

M.O.C. #9473
Hi Folks, just got back from a 5 day stay in Myrtle Beach. The Temperature was 97 degrees with a heat index of 107 (according to the weather channel). We have one AC unit and it kept us cool (in the mid 70"s) most of the time. The only problem I have is the unit never cuts off. And two different times it actually tripped the breaker. I have been thinking of adding another unit but don't know if it would be worth it. If I add a unit to the bedroom will they both run all the time or will they shut down when the area covered is cooled? I already have the dual zone thermostat installed.
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The second A/C in the bedroom runs all the time. If we can get a 20 degree difference between inside and outside temps we feel we are doing good. We have never been in 100 degree temps and hope we never will.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote