Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
wat42
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4557
Animal or wet smell

Help - we have a smell coming near our sink, have checked as much as we can - can't find any water, did have a small leak from sink faucet pipe, that's all cleared up. Cannot find anything, how do we go about checking to see if it's an animal somewhere. Anyone ever had to do this. Thanks for your suggestions.

wat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
which sink??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
If it is a dead animal it is probably a mouse, good luck finding it. We had a dead mouse at home once and it took awhile to find it.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
the galley tank will smell really bad if there is food there that hasn't been rinsed out. I believe richfaa had this problem, he should be able to tell you how he fixed it
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
By any chance, could it possibly smell like sulphur? Turn on the hot water in either the lavatory or the sink and take a sniff. If so, I'll be glad to post the long details, but I'll wait for your answer. This will be an easier fix than hunting for a dead animal.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
wat42
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4557
Sorry I neglected to put in that problem seems to be in kitchen sink area. We keep our galley tank open and it goes directly into sewer. Will close it and let it fill w/water and see if that works. So far no sulphur smell, we thought at first it was the water here but don't think that's it.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:03 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Occasionally ours smells also, so we seal the sinks with the stoppers and that helps a lot. You can leave some water in the tank in between parks and put a pint of pinesol in the tank to help clean it while you travel.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 AM   #8
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Put the same chemical you use in your toilet into the kitchen sink for a couple of times and I bet it goes away.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:54 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
mmmmmm, if left open, so no water ever lies in that tank, mmmmmmn, food debris will collect and, mmmmm, errrrr, ewwwwwww, rot???

we do dump some Calgon (for LAUNDRY, not the "take me away" bath beads) down there with a couple of gallons of water when we run.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:16 AM   #10
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
If the water in the sink traps dries up, you will get a smell from the tanks.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Water needs to remain in the trap of the sinks to prevent odors from coming up from the tanks. This water can be sucked out from draining the tanks or can get sloshed out during travel. If this occurs enough, like some have mentioned whatever is at the bottom of the trap can create odors that may waft back up the drain.

Those are some very good ideas about the calgon in the trap to control odors, and dropping some deodorizers that can stay in the tank to control odors. If these help your problem then it's way better than trying to locate a dead animal since I can envision taking everything apart to locate a carcass. Good luck that it's a matter of controlling tank and sink odors.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Our sink was producing a smell too. I disconnected the drain pipes under the sinks-easily done as they are only hand tight- and cleaned out the accumulated residue. Smell vanished. Part of the problem is that one of the drain pipes is horizontal and so allows residue to build up.I will do this every 3 or 4 months. Now if I could only find the source of the "poop" smell that appears from time to time under the stairs in our 3075.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:25 AM   #13
wat42
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4557
Thanks, everyone for your suggestions. Eved rything has been flushed well and it's doing better. DW thought water from sink was better going right into drain (reason we left tank open). Will close and try all suggestions. You're right, better than an animal, was really worried about that since we come from Ohio, have RV in storage lot and figured one of the little critters wanted to come to Fla. and died on the way. Also, still new to this lifestyle, every day is another learning experience but sure enjoy this forum.
Thanks again.
Bill & Patty
Old 02-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #14
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Bill,

Until we got the Splendide, we never left ANY tanks open. Since the splendide, we do leave the gray open, would rather have some dried crud in the bottom of that one that have an over flow while I am doing laundry.

The Galley and black, however, in our opinion and is our practice, need to be kept closed and fill up some. We do not let them fill all the way, usually dump every other day.

Enjoy that rig!
Old 02-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
liqroof

M.O.C. #10109
I wish you the good luck for finding the solution of your problem. Good Luck and best wishes.
liqroof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #16
Stu Travels

M.O.C. #10171
Pour some baking soda down the trap, follow with a pint of distilled vinegar....deodorizes and disinfects...doesn't hurt the lining of the tank. We keep our drains closed and never have an issue with odor.
I swish out the toilet with baking soda and then add a cup (or less) of vinegar (white), flush and rinse. Fast, easy, safe and fresh smelling.
A splash of white vinegar in the dish rinse water cuts any soap residue and leaves glasses sparkling. Hope it helps.
Stu Travels is offline   Reply With Quote