Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Digital Generator

HI All I got the new digital generator, on Tuesday late and it was a work day Wensday so I didn't even move it back to the Monty until Wensday eve. I put it under the cap and shirting. This coming Monday DW wants to go to Nogales for Med's and shopping so maybe I can test it on Tuesday. I read the book last night and it said if you are going to run it in high elavation, you should have the carb, rejetted for it. We have reapplied for the Grand Canyon North Rim and verbally have been excepted by Management. As I remember it is around 9,000 feet. Has anyone ran a generator at that elavation without rejetting. Its says it will work but run hard and use more Gas. If I can get some advice that would be great. I am going to call the Company see how much the Jets are and hopefully they will send a instruction sheet on how to install, may say that it will void the Warrentee if I do it myself. Help would be appreciated. Its raining hard here in Picacho Az.

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We were at the North Rim a few years ago and ran our Honda 2000 with no problems. I can't see where the digital generator would be any different. If it is a problem then it wouldn't be one that I would want. Our travels take us to all different elevations, and I wouldn't want to keep changing the jets.

Rich
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
The highest point on the North Rim is about 8000'. If I were ther for any length of time, I'd rejet the carbs. The engine will run richer because of the reduced amount of oxygen and will be prone to a fouled plug, reduced power, and possibly contamined oil.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We, too, camped on the north rim a few years back. We have a Honda 2000i generator/inverter and it worked fine for the 4 days we were there. But as Bob indicated if you are planning to stay for a lengthy time I'd rejet.

Good luck.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
We worked there, for the summer season of 08. The power only went off for a few hours during a thunder storm and it was night, we turned off the lights anyway to watch the show. It doesnt' get that hot up on the north rim. I don't think I will have to run it at all. It says it will run rich and use more fuel than normal. My contractor friend said he ran his Digital Generator for about four full nights at that high alititude and had no problems what so ever, so I think we will be fine, thanks for the imput.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I was checking out my water heater manual and I was shocked to read that if going over 4500 feet that the heater needed to be rejetted or something like that. I suppose altitude could have an affect on fueled appliances.

The North Rim being over 8,000 ft is much higher and you just have to decide, "Do I feel lucky?" then have things adjusted or not. I expect that when you come back down, things need to adjusted back.

Maybe like you imply, do nothing but see if there is someone in the area that makes these adjustments, just in case.

Have fun at the North Rim. I hear there's a really big hole nearby so be careful.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:54 AM   #7
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
We were there as I said the summer of 08. I ran the hot water heater on electric and had no problems what so ever. We were told by Human Resources that over 100 employees will return this year, it will be like a small family reuion. It was breath taking the first time. We will take some of the hikes we didn't get to do the first year we were there.The sunrises and sets are some of the most awesome I have ever seen and if a lightening storm happens, sit in the lodge at dinner and get a floor show of sorts. We are very excited the more we think of how it was. We have been promised our same site it was very roomy and the aspens are beautiful. We now have Verizon, we had Quest and it was weak had to walk a quarter of a mile and stand right on the Rim to get signal. We also have Verizon MyFI now we will let you all know how the signal is way up there. Thanks Art.