Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
3400RL Cabnets and Access

I am sure this has been discussed in one way or another but was going over the new unit in detail and pulled the little gray (square) plastic access on living room side to the rear of the hot water tank and low and behold there is a little hand hole to the hot water tank fittings and back of the vacuum cleaner etc. All plumbing lines that come up through the floor are open to the under floor insulation and would allow any type of pest or critter to enter. Lots of sawdust etc. I will be putting a larger (neat) access panel to observe periodically for leaks etc.
Also the access wood panel to the bottom of the fridge is litterally secured in with four wood screws that have the heads exposed and look rather shabby. Will put either a draw or hinged door with that piece of wood.
Any thoughts or experiences with these two areas?? Ellis

8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We use steel wool to seal around those water lines as they come up through the floor. You are right on track thinking this will allow pests entry, been there, done that!

Our panel below the fridge was removed with the screw holes being filled, stained and varnished and two hinges installed on the top of the panel and a single knob on the bottom, centered. This access door now opens in an upward motion for the storage of numerous items but most importantly the vacuum hose.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
That little gray pannel access to our water tank after being removed looked as tho someone had put their fist through it and then screwed the panel on. Real rough and jagged edges not square just an odd shapped hole. pretty shoddy work to say the least. and even some of the pipe holes were 4 times the size of the pipe. I have used steel woll mixed with spray foam to seal up all holes I could find.
Allen
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Check under the shower stall for the same kind of thing. There are a lot of holes to plug up. Welcome to the world of rv'ng.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Well, well. I was trying to figure out how I may have had visitors this past winter. I will have to check those 2 areas out. Thanks for the heads up. Andy
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:05 AM   #6
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Well the DW and I first cut out the hole to about a 11 X 11 inch size, picked up some wood to match, stained it, cleared it, cleaned up the area behind the panel between hot water heater and vacuum cleaner and filled holes with a top quality foam and now looks more professional. (We even found a new door hinge and clip behind there that an installer dropped and said "Oh Well Keystone will pay").
On the panel under the fridge we put new hinges, a catch and handle to access that area. We now have to find a matching handle, plus fill and match the four holes that the original ugly screws were in. Lots of fun!! Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We did the hinges and catch on the wood panel below the fridge. We store lots of things in there. Ozz cut the screws for me so we could reinsert the same screws but they're now too short to be anything other than decoration. This way it is not obvious to someone ransacking our rig that that panel opens.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote