Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2008, 06:54 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Black tank info

You might want to save this somewhere. We had a black tank leak and learning from the experience of others on the forum needed to make sure we were ordering the proper tank..

The Vendor for all the tanks is... Travel Star products,64524 CR-27, Goshen, In//Phone 574-533-0447. Those who are familiar with the area will recognize that the vendor is very close to the Keystone plants.

Spoke to Amy several times a very nice a knowledgeable lady.You will need to get at your tank, black or otherwise and get the numbers off the travel start tag. On my 06 3400 black tank PN-TS2463SD

24 inches wide X 63 inches Long X 8 inches deep you will also find a number marked in yellow indicating a left ot right drain.. it will be 294 or 295..mine was 294.

Note.Amy said that Keystone went to a bigger tank on Some models so you need to SEE those numbers If you have that information Travel star will know exectly what you need and will ship in two days.

They do not have the plumbing for the tank as that is a manufacturer item but the plumbing is common and any dealer can get it at any Home depot or Lowes. There is no reason to go through Keystone as Travel star will ship to the dealer.. I will add that I did speak to Keystone parts, the person will remain unidentified, and they were of no help what-so-ever.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Saved. Thanks.

I wonder which models and when they went to a larger tank and how large that tank is?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Good information...thanks.

My "Save This We Might Need It Later When Something Breaks Because You Know It's Getting Ready To Break If It Hasn't Broken Yet" is getting big.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Re my above post on the tanks.Since I have the under belly down I note that all tanks are the same stated size but differ as to a left or right drain. I also note that the front cross member holding the black tank in is removable..two bolts in each side for removal of the tank. It is pretty tight under there and not a job for the feint of heart... To me the plumbing would be a nightmare. These tanks are installed at the factory on a naked frame with no camper on top..easy task.To do it from the bottom.....not a good thing.. The dealer who will be doing the work is a Challenger dealer and I hope they are similar to the Montana...tank wise.

Also the 10th anniversary models have larger tanks 66 Fresh..55 Black 100 gray ..I assume that means 50 gray..50 galley??
Old 04-26-2008, 11:32 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
55 each tank---55 black, 55 gray, 55 galley.
They are assuming the 55 gallon tanks will become standard on all new Monties and not just the 10th Annv. models.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:56 AM   #6
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Does anyone know if Montana is using the support straps under the tanks on the larger size. When I ordered the new grey tank, Travel Star said I would be replacing it again if I did not use support straps. The tanks are designed for the straps, and that is why so many problems. The new larger tanks will be more problems, I would think, if not supported.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:59 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That will make it a bit more complicated to order the proper tank but if you can get the information off the tank tag and identify left or right drain by the 295/294 numbers Travel star will ship the proper tank. I have all the tank information copied down, have talked to Travel Star, will walk through the tank identification and order process with the dealer to insure the proper tank is ordered. We have worked for this dealer and have confidence in their work and abilities. We also have a leak at a couple of Hydraulic lines at the couplings at the pump. We are told that NAPA has the were with all to replace the fittings so we will have that repaired under the E.W also.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:18 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Those three 55 gallon tanks will be heavy...assuming the standard 8.3 lbs/gal, that's over 450# per tank.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:35 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yeah, but you could always dump before hitting the road. I'd sure like to have the extra capacity. That would be particularly nice for those who like to boondock. But also for those of us who sometimes have water hookup but not sewer.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:30 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never traveled with full or near full tanks.Those who have been unfortunate enough to be on your back looking up at any of the tanks will understand that there is not much holding the tanks in and the weight of a full any tank would add a great deal of stress when traveling . We can see two tanks with the front two panels down..black and gray and will see if they can be re enforced by strapping when the black tank is replaced. Also re: the Vendor suggestion that they be strapped.. How the vendor recommends their product be installed and how the Manufacturer, in the name of cost effectiveness, installs it, have no relation to one another. We have seen that on two products thus far the water pump and the day night shades and I find it hard to believe that the TV manufacturer would recommend two large screws through the top of their products to install it. It is all part of RV'ing..unfortunatly????
Old 04-28-2008, 05:48 AM   #11
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Always have traveled with the water tank full on last 5 rigs. I laugh at those people from Kansas that would empty their tanks so they could pull a hill in Wyoming, up to the campground and then have to use a hand pump in the campground to carry water to fill the tank.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:23 AM   #12
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Rich
Did they say how many straps are needed for support? The more the better? That was to be one of my projects this summer but with my being not so graceful next year will be the time. The Monty is in TX and I am in IA. No weight in the tanks though. Was hoping to meet you at the rally but will not be going this year.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't know..The vendor says the tanks are designed for straps but Keystone does not strap them. When our new Black tank comes in we shall see if it is set up for strapping and if so we will do it. Will let you know...
Old 05-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #14
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Our black tank had no straps, it was hung from the frame on three sides and had a bodacious heavy horizontal main seam. even full they don't seem to sag. I can see where a couple of straps could help though..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:46 AM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Saw straps installed at a SOB plant in Goshen area last year.

Two straps. Run across the width, not the length.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #16
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
We have had to replace both tanks in the past year. Both had a similar problem with a crack up near the top neck. One other issue too that we found on the gray tank and that was a cut out plug was floating around inside the take. This plug fell inside the tank when a hole was cut at the time of factory install. The plug crated issues with the proper draining as well. The tanks more or less hand between the frame with very rudimentary strapping's. They are subject to much stress and stretching when full and moving down the highway. The black tank was of course the most vile to remove.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #17
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We may be having a problem with our black tank too. Haven't fully investigated it all yet by pulling the belly cover loose. But the drain from the commode has a slight drip into the garage but recently on a trip about 5 gallons of dirty water dripped out of around the pipe where the W/D drain exits the underbelly. We don't have a washer/Dryer so it came from inside the underbelly somehwere. Not sure what is going on. Hasn't reoccurred. Any one have a similar experience?
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:50 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dean....Oh boy. You are going to have to drop the front two panels to see what is going on..I suggest drilling some holes in the underbelly at low points to allow "stuff" to drain.Drop the door side panel end and stand back. Our 3400 is as we speak in the shop having the black tank replaced.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #19
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Rich,

Rich,
Good to see you are still active on the MOC. I suspect the very small toilet drain leak is due to the floor flange seal leaking under the toilet itself. The weather here is so wet, cold and miserable, I'm procrastinating about dropping the under belly panels. I'm now beginning to wonder if the bad leak only occurs when I flush the black tank. Haven't flushed the black tank again since the 5 gallons drained out of the belly and that may be the reason for the problem not showing up again. I think I'll pull a belly panel or two and see what can be observed. First statically check and then when flushing the black tank. When new, third day of ownership, we had a really bad leak in the black tank flush supply line where it entered the tank that had to be fixed by the dealer. I'm hoping that this is a recurrence of that problem rather than a cracked black tank. We have had more than our fair share of water and sewer leaks. Sounds like you have too. What do I need to do to check I I have a craked black tank? Fill it up and watch for leaks?
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:28 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dean..they tend to leak at the very top where they lay on the support brackets. We could fill our nearly full with water before it leaked.