Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Living Room Television once more

A week or so ago I posted a topic about the lack of reception in my Living Room TV. I followed all responses and finally took apart every connection behind the outlet plates as well as the ones leading to the slide underneath. My findings were that every coaxial connection at the plate or the barrel connectors were loose enough to get 3/4 turn to more than a full turn on every one of them.

I was finally at a site this weekend that had cable. So, I hooked it up to the cable/satellite input connector. The bedroom tv upon automatic search found all 22 of the advertised cable channels the campground offered. The living room tv, found a snowy one or two.

Hold that thought. Yes I did turn off the Wineguard antenna amplifier. Ready for this.... I disconnect the cable from the coach and run it directly in a window and bypass all internal systems. Still no LR TV picture. So I disconnect the cable, switch to antenna reconnect the internal cable from the outlet behind the LR TV, and turn on the booster.

On antenna both TV's receive excellent pictures from the air. One last test, I bring the TV from the bedroom down to the LR and hook it up where the LR TV was. Reconnect the campground cable to the input on the coach. Yep, crystal clear 22 channels. So, something by the process of elimination is wrong with the Samsung LR TV Tuner.

I'm going to ask the dealer for a new Samsung TV for the LR. This coach is less than a month old.

nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Dave, glad to hear you found the problem. The process of elimination did it again!

bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I had a problem with a new unit I bought for our bedroom. New LG Flatron (computer monitor and TV combo)
We use it in our stick and brick home for the bedroom and it works very well. It worked in our Monty very well. Now it will not work in Monty. Problem was/is it only works on cable not antenna. Now I think the problem is that it is not "digitized" but if used on antenna it needs the converter box. But it took me about a year to find this out as we didn't use the antenna during that first year. Good luck.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
On the Samsung remote control for the TV there is a source button in the upper right hand corner. You must make sure that the source selected is compatible with the input - AV1, AV2, etc. Perhaps this may solve your problem. Try cycling through the sources.
Dick
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
You didn't mention, as part of your procedure, if you had the Samsung scan for channels. For the Samsung, you have to tell the tv whether it is looking for over-the-air (OTA) channels or cable channels (or both). They're on different frequencies for the same channel number. If it hasn't scanned the channels, it won't know what frequencies to look for. I tried connecting to my OTA antenna and keying in the right channel, and it didn't find it until I did the scan.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Yes, had it scan for channels. All types. No Joy.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Pay close attention to the replacement TV. Keystone tried to replace mine with the same brand but a much lower quality TV. The replacement had no HDMI ports. You couldnt even hook up the DVD player. There were no inputs for it. When I asked for an equal quality TV I was told too bad. "This is what we have and you can take it or leave it". We had to call the TV manufacturer to resolve. I hope your situation turns out better.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:32 PM   #8
Winger8
Established Member

M.O.C. #26003
I had to install an Insignia 50" in place of the 48" that this unit came with in the living room (the smaller one is obsolete) Occasionally, there are a couple channels that are pixelated and other times the reception is fine (also, there were several channels that were not found during the channel scan) - the bedroom set is fine (and has all the channels). This park has cable and the "old" television never had this problem. Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Old 09-07-2021, 05:36 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Winger8, you will be better off posting a new thread. This one is from 2010. However, sometimes a signal will be weak and vary from TV to TV. You could get a cable checker and make sure your cable ends aren’t shorting out.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #10
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Don't procrastinate, I did and found out that the TV only has a 6 month warranty because it fell under electronics in a RV. Before they denied the warranty the dealer (a very good one) told me the process for warranty was that Keystone will only pay the amount they pay for new ones (their cost, wont ship a new one) and the dealer has to go out and buy something with those funds. Since it wasn't under warranty I bought a Samsung (was a Jensen), would have done that even if it was under warranty to get what I wanted. You may be able to find out from the dealer what funds they have and give them the extra to get what you want if it is an issue.
May be able to deal directly with Samsung, I was not able too with Jensen.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote