Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
About Insurance Co Claims

PS. not trying to change the subject on insurance and about road hazards I'll post it for all to read it might be helpfull to some.

On our last vacation to Montana Glaiser Park I had an insident with a road hazard the dreded piece of tire in the road. Bang Got Ya.

My Co is State Farm if interrested.

When we returned from our trip I called my agent and told him what happened on the Hwy in Montana with a piece of somebody else's tire in the road, Then he asked me a question was the object moving or not? I asked if this was a trick question, and this is the information he gave me which might be interesting for a few out there like me not knowing how insurance companies work.
If the object is moving and you hit it it is a road hazard clame. and will be processed as a hazard. Humm.
If the object is stationary just sitting there, and you hit it, it is then classified as a collision, which will be put on your record at the insurance co as a collision.
So the better of the two choises is pick #1 a moving object.
I thought I would throw that out there for your information.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:53 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Don, This is interesting. I hate the way insurance companies load up the trick questions. Following their explanation to you can one deduce that hitting a pot hole is a collision? Jim
Old 08-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Sounds like if it's avoidable than it's collision? So what happens if a moving vehicle hits you? Maybe that's why I dropped State Farm for my RV.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
The cheapest insurance on the planet is no bargain if it doesn't pay the claim.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
CmdrDewey: The cheapest insurance on the planet is no bargain if it doesn't pay the claim.

Thats just it it got paid without tha adjuster being involved, I got a quote faxed it in, and the check was in the mail less my deductable of course.

Exactly if it there in the road and not moving, and you hit it its a collision, and the clame is handled differantly, so that means that any debres is a moving object striking you I would think.

jimcol: This is interesting. I hate the way insurance companies load up the trick questions. Following their explanation to you can one deduce that hitting a pot hole is a collision? Jim

Thats what it sounds like to me Jim, Holes dont move round they just sit there and wait for the unsuspecting driver. who in the insurance companies eyes could have avoided it. Ha Ha.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Does it matter on the deductible on whether it was a road hazard or a collision?
And does it matter as far as points against you based on the classification?
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Does it matter on the deductible on whether it was a road hazard or a collision?
And does it matter as far as points against you based on the classification?
As far as your deductable it dont matter you still pay, a person would think that as a uninsured piece of material on the Hwy it would go into the uninsured mortist section and not have to pay any deductable. as for the Points I can not say maybe thats what my adjuster was trying to say as far as a colission goes they always CTA.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Not sure about State Farm but with Farmers Insurance Group -- deductables on mine are the same -- it is the traffic / insurance points that are charged for a collision that add up and increase your rates. The 'hazard' is paid out of your comprehensive coverage whereas the collision is paid out of that coverage. Both have different 'rates' of recovery (as explained to me) hence one (or the other) will have a greater impact on your rates for the following 3-year period.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage only covers you for injury or death to your person,not your vehicles, caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

PS. not trying to change the subject on insurance and about road hazards I'll post it for all to read it might be helpfull to some.

On our last vacation to Montana Glaiser Park I had an insident with a road hazard the dreded piece of tire in the road. Bang Got Ya.

When we returned from our trip I called my agent and told him what happened on the Hwy in Montana with a piece of somebody else's tire in the road, Then he asked me a question was the object moving or not? I asked if this was a trick question, and this is the information he gave me which might be interesting for a few out there like me not knowing how insurance companies work.
If the object is moving and you hit it it is a road hazard clame. and will be processed as a hazard. Humm.
If the object is stationary just sitting there, and you hit it, it is then classified as a collision, which will be put on your record at the insurance co as a collision.
So, how was it covered? As a moving object?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ray fischer

Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage only covers you for injury or death to your person,not your vehicles, caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist.
This is not true with my State Farm insurance. I was sideswiped recently. The guy jumped out, showed me his insurance papers, said no need to call anyone, and I wrote all the info down. He seemed anxious to leave. But when I called the number of the insurance company on the papers, they said they had no record of him.
I took the info to my insurance company and explained the situation. They said they would file it as an uninsured motorist and I would only pay my deductible of $250 for such. In the meantime, they would pursue what he claimed was his insurance company and if he actually had insurance, they would transfer all costs to them and reimburse me the $250.
My collision deductible is $500. That is why I was wondering if the deductible was different between collision and road hazard.
There are way too many options when it comes to insurance.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

So, how was it covered? As a moving object?
The vehicle that was in the lane to my left ran over it with his tire causing it to moved from where it was and striking me in the center of my bumper causing damage, so the tire chunk was tecknecally moving when it hit my truck.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:16 AM   #13
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
And some insurance companies wonder why they have such a bad reputation....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote