Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
IAMontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #9670
3650RK holding tank problem

We stay in IA at a state park in the summer and have to use the fresh water tank and pump for water and a dump tank for the sewer my problem is that my wife my not notice when the tanks are close to full and do dishes or shower before I get home and when I do get home there is gray water dripping from the belly pan. I thought keystone glued the fittings on the top of the tank and did not use the rubber gromets. Does any one else have this problem?

IAMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First of all WELCOME to the MOC Family and like any other family we are here to help you thru this.

I don't know about the glued fittings but I do know that once the tanks get to a certain point they will leak. There have been instances where the tank was cracked at the very top thus causing a leak when full.

Normally when our tanks are nearly full the kitchen sink drain will gurgle when draining the sink water. If you hear a gurgle than it's time to dump. Also the floor pan in the shower will stop draining and you will find yourself standing in water. As fulltimers we do use these as warnings to dump immediately.

I would suggest trying to get a system so that you know ahead of time that it's time to dump. By now you should be able to know how many days it takes to fill the tanks. Let's just say they are filled and about to leak in 4 days. Knowing that I would suggest dumping every 3rd day.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
IAMontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #9670
Thank you for the insight we are fulltimers as well for about 5 years now I was just wondering about the fittings as I was told they were glued in.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
IAMontana

Sounds to me that you have the dreaded, split tank at the top syndrom. Your description, including the dripping from the belly, all fit.

It seems to me, and this IS my opinion, that the more these tanks are used, and filled to the tippy top, the more likely the crack, leak and drippy belly pan.

CountryGuy and I try to never let the tanks fill, and drain at the earliest convenience. Full tanks make us extremely nervous. Our nervous, to match our opinion.

Hopefully, this is not the case for you.

The glue statement, I dunno, so, I'll stay away from that one!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I have a 3650rk and have had the belly out at both of the front tanks also the galley tank to install my trailer hitch. the connections are spun welded to the tank when they leak there is normally a crack at the top. the tanks are suppended by a flange on the two long sides at the top there is a lot of stress on them when full. I braced the bottom of mine. then put rubber no hub clamps on the connections no problems since.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have two grey tanks for sale with huge cracks on top where the plumbing comes into the tank. Just kidding... they've been "recycled".

Had them both replaced this spring at the same time under my extended warranty. As mentioned above, this happens. As a heads up, my tanks cost $250 each and just about that much labor (each) to pull the old tanks out and put the new ones in... and I consider my guy cheap. Tanks will be a standard Keystone price though. Dealerships can't (supposedly) change that. Dealerships do, however, have to order these kind of parts after you call Keystone and get the price. Keystone/Montana will not drop ship something like this straight to the customer.

I just ordered a rear stabilizer (don't ask) and after I called Keystone and asked for the price, they were more than happy to give me the price. Then they asked what dealership they wanted me to ship that to. When I suggested my home address, that went by the wayside quite rapidly. They shipped to my dealer, I drove 180 miles round trip - yes, I had to pay shipping, too - to pick it up and then installed it myself.

*On Edit~ Also, there is extra cost as the plumbing that used to be attached to the top of the tank has to be cut off and trashed. You will be charged for all new fittings and accessories to reattach that tank to your Montana. ~$50 worth of material, I believe?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bobby-- If I need my tank/s replaced, I'm calling you or I'll come down and see you! You da man!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
I have a 3650RK also and fulltime. I had full hook up at last campground dumped often (before burbing). Was there for about 3 1/2 months with no problems. I pulled to next location over 250 miles away and hooked up. 2 days later I also noticed the rear belly dripping. Took it apart and behold it was leaking where the outlet pipe comes out. I was told this happens often from flexing because of the rear kitchen design (extra weight in rear). Sounds logical but thats where mine leaked at not on top. I used a radiator repair kit to fix (you know-for the abs plastic).
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Junglejim, what year is your 3650?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:28 AM   #10
IAMontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #9670
Thanks for all the advice I dropped the tanks and sure enough thy had a tiny crack at the inlet flange so I broke out the plastic welder and braced the tanks better. That was the easy fix now to figure out how to get my wife to pay attention to when the tanks get full.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:04 AM   #11
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
I have a 3650 and don't have a problem (yet) with the tanks leaking, but when I use the Black Water wash the carpet at the foot of the steps gets wet. I need to pull the belly pan and I hope the water line feeding the washer just needs to be tightened.
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
IAMontana once you see how those tanks are hung it makes you want to put something under them dont it. did you hook the pipe back with a rubber clamps. If you watch when you fill the tanks you can see the osb floor in the basement raise up in the center. the tank will bow up the floor. I didnt believe it till I saw it. Rondo I am not happy to say I know all about these tanks My dealer wanted 1000$ to replace one. I am a fast learner "LOL". ChuckD it sounds like you have a hose off in the belly where it hooks to the tank. if it sprays in the tank it cant get to the inside floor? is the basement wet?
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote