Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
How would you spend your cash?

Now that we're in the process of replacing our awning (and putting the tiedown strap in the rig), we've been debating spending the extra cash and having the power arms installed. When I sat down and looked at the price difference, I realized for about the same money I could upgrade our pinbox with an air ride type of one brand or another. When weighing the advantages of these two options I am begining to lean toward the new pinbox.

Opinions?

This based on the thread about electric awnings.

Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
If I read this right, you are thinking of an electric awning? For what it's worth, I'd much rather have my old manual awning than current electric awning. On my old one I could use deflappers easily, could tilt it to have rain run off, and didn't have to worry about a motor burning up or not working. Current electric awning retracts/extends easily and that's about all that I can see as a positive.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Butch is right on the money with his comments. Get the new hitch.
Tim
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Me? If it was my choice I'd go with the MorRyde. BUT I should also admit that I want nothing to do with the electric awning.

There is a thread titled "Electric Awning and wind"

You will find many MOCers discussing the subject of electric awnings. It is a very worthwhile read.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
Glen,
I hear ya. I read that thread and that in part lead me to consider the other option for my cash. I have considerd the MorRyde as I am seeing those on the new Montanas alot. Have also considered the 5th Airborne as well.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We would not like to trade to electric awnings. We have more control over it without the added hassle of electric motors, flapping awning, tilt - the sort of things cited above. We love our 5th Airborne. Have loved it ever since the drive home after having it installed showed us that we can have a smooth ride with a 5th wheel.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have been considering the electric also and IF I was stopping for one or two nights at a time I would go for the awning, however, we usually stay longer so I would (and did), spend my bucks on the MorRyde hitch pin.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The Reese representative at the fall rally turned me off for 5th Airborne, with his attitude, so I went with the Trailair and upgraded their pin to the sliding pin-jaw. I feel the combination does cushion the chucking and also dampens the pin bounce on the trailer. I feel this is a cheap Trail-saver hitch which is what I would go for if I had the money.
I think you are correct with the pin instead of the awning.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
I would much rather have a manual awning than the electric one that came on our '09 Montana. For one, the manual ones have more adjustability, such as disconnecting the arms from the trailer and staking them out as posts. Also, the manuals have locking arms that travel along the edges of the fabric, which allows placement of de-flapper clamps to control fluttering of the fabric.

Get the pin box!

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
... No contest. Get the pin box.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

... No contest. Get the pin box.
Agree...we have the 5th Airborne...works great.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote