Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
HD Question

On the new 2009/2010's the TV's are LCD HD capable units. The DirecTV receivers have HDMI and Component video out capability only. How do you connect two TV's (bedroom and living room)to the same satellite receiver? We are having the Winegard Traveler dish mounted on our new Big Sky. I'm sure that someone has got their unit all set up already. I have an older HD box that I'm having activated for the new trailer. Thanks in advance.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:17 AM   #2
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Go to Radio Shack and get an RF converter. Use the RCA jacks output on the receiver. It will not give you HD but will convert it to the 75 ohm connection to get it back to the bed room TV. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I was interested to see if there was any way to get HD to both. The only other way would be to run HDMI to the back bedroom and the basement. Oh well, it will be good just to have it in the main TV. Thanks, Kerry.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Ron, I have the Traveler and although we do not use the bedroom TV, I was told I would have to run another RG6 from the sat dish to a different receiver in the bedroom.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks, Phil. I think I will follow Kerry's advice and get an RF converter and use that. That way I can watch my satellite from any of the TV locations, even though I won't have HD in the bedroom. I don't know why there isn't an RF output from the HD receiver. We ordered the same satellite dish as yours. I may get another dish and tripod for just in case.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
There might be another solution. If you have or get a new dish (the big Slimline HD dish) with the new single wire LNB, I think you could hook up a HD receiver in the BR or in the basement, then being able to watch different channels on each TV. http://hr20.dbstalk.com/Slimline%20S...rst%20Look.pdf You will also need a power inserter Kerry
Old 04-29-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Kerry, thanks for the link, that is the link I saw last summer when word first came out about the new single lead LNB. I have been looking all over for it... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #8
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Ron, if you want fancy, expect to pay fancy, but you should be able to get by for about $100 to $150. You can get an HDMI splitter (one in, two out) in the $50 to $100 range.

Use a Category 2, also called High Speed, HDMI cable to go from the splitter to your bedroom. Don't buy the cables you see in BestBuy, or WalMart, they are way too expensive. Check on NewEgg or Amazon, but don't buy the really cheap ones. Expect to pay $30 to $50 for 30 to 50 foot cables.

Bob

firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Another solution is to get a dual receiver ie: one that can record and play at the same time. These usually have an output to a second TV. On our dish receiver this output is modulated on channel 60. I send the second signal through the Aux connection on the antenna switch. My only problem with this setup is if Victoria is watching something and recording something else when I want to watch the ball game. Oh well, I can always go wash the dishes. Aftyer 47 years I have finally learned who is most likely to win the argument.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Leaving aside the RF that the antenna picks up, the term "RF" usually means cable TV, which is not HD. The signal is modulated onto channels which can be selected by standard (now old-fashioned) TV tuners. For HD and audio on a single cable, you need HDMI. It's good out to 50 feet or more (follow http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...bles/index.htm for a good explanation). It carries one signal at a time, so you can't select a different signal at the TV, just the one that's being sent from the receiver. Keep in mind that HD comes in different resolutions, 1080p being the highest commercially available, suitable for bigger screens. Smaller HD TV's work at lower resolutions, such as 720p, and newer ones down-convert to 720p from 1080p. So, if your receiver puts out 1080p, you can use a splitter, as firetrucker suggested, send HDMI to the bedroom LCD panel and enjoy HD with good sound. There are more expensive alternatives for transmitting HDMI over greater distances using CATx (computer network) cables. Although the cable is cheap, the converter box at each end may be pricey.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #11
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Might be a good trick to run a HDMI cable from the LR to the BR. Kerry