Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
party of 5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1764
dead ground

discovered this weekend that we have a dead ground somewhere in the trailer. anyone have this problem and how did you fix it. we have been able to isolate to 2 circuits but do not think there is a way to actually find it.

party of 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I suppose you're saying a circuit is shorted to ground. 12V or 120V? I see you have a Mountaineer. One area I have had a problem with is the wiring to the slide rooms. Our Mountaineer has a coil spring that holds the wires instead of the hinged mechanism the Montana units have. On the living room slide, I have to take a broom handle and hold the wiring down while DW runs the slide in, or the wiring will get pinched by the slide.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I can't find the post right now but I remember reading where a fellow MOC member had a short and it was found inside of the wiring box on the slide -- water had entered the box and corroded the wiring connections --- common thread here is the slides.....

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That happened on our 2003 Montana. In the front locker, the battery ground ran to a sheet metal screw through the floor of the locker. It rusted out and the hole enlarged, causing intermittent contact. Our 2007 has a better method of grounding but you might check that out to see if yours has the same problem as our 2003. This just caused a loss of ground, not a short.

Another possibility is to check the wiring that moves under the slides when they move. Most have junction boxes and you can lose contact in there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
party of 5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1764
wehave been working on it this weekend and had been able to isolate it to 2 circuits the a/c and all the non gfi recepticles.
party of 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by party of 5

wehave been working on it this weekend and had been able to isolate it to 2 circuits the a/c and all the non gfi recepticles.
I find it odd that two circuits would short to ground, unless the wires have been pinched somehow. Either that, or perhaps a screw was ran through the wires. About all you can do is access every point where there is a connection, be it receptacle, light, or AC wiring, until you can eliminate the ground. Myself, I would shut the power off, unhook the wire from the breaker, use a meter to check for ground, and keep disconnecting wires until I no longer showed continuity to ground.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote