Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2020, 04:23 PM   #1
jdarwin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21728
Awning frame support structure

I'm thinking of making a couple of telescoping PVC supports for the awnings on our 3931FB. Something similar to this

Right now I use a bungie cord attached to the awning frame. It's fastened to a tie down strap staked to the ground. However I've noticed in high winds (10-15 MPH) the frame still flexes a little and the fabric really moves in the wind. I'm afraid of losing my awning and/or frame. I'd like to know what others do. Right now, if the wind starts up I break it down and retract them. Thanks

Member #21728
2019 3931FB
2017 F350 6.7 Powerstroke SRW
B&W Companion Slider 20K
jdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
When the wind blows I retract.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:13 AM   #3
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Going to pass on this one.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:09 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I always pull ours in when ANY winds kicks up. I have seen various tie down solutions, but remember, the awning attaches to the rig also. Ours was loose and had several stripped screws right from the factory. Any wind would have ripped it off the side of the rig regardless of tie downs on the extended end. Just last week, I watched an awning on a neighbor's rig almost get shredded. The wind was what I would consider light and the awning had straps with springs attached to 5 gallon water jugs, one on each end of the awning. A single gust of wind picked up both jugs of water about 3 feet off the ground. In the end, I guess it was ok, but that's a lot of money to replace just for a little shade. BTW, the neighbor was gone for the day. I told him about it the next morning.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:05 PM   #5
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarwin View Post
I'm thinking of making a couple of telescoping PVC supports for the awnings on our 3931FB. Something similar to this

Right now I use a bungie cord attached to the awning frame. It's fastened to a tie down strap staked to the ground. However I've noticed in high winds (10-15 MPH) the frame still flexes a little and the fabric really moves in the wind. I'm afraid of losing my awning and/or frame. I'd like to know what others do. Right now, if the wind starts up I break it down and retract them. Thanks
I quit watching when the guy said "What may happen is it might rip the awning off the trailer".

I have a shade cloth attached to my awning and tie it down with bungee cords. It's a 2 piece shade cloth and when the wind gets up or when we leave or when we go in for the night we take the shade cloth down and pull the awning in.
There's a reason we do this.

Before we got the 5th wheel we had a 35 ft windjammer. A guy on the forest river forum was selling awning tie down poles. I thought great idea, so instead of buying his I made my own. I took 2 adjustable limb supports and put pvc pipe in them to make them longer. Adjusted to where one side was lower for rain. Tied them down like the guy in the video with ratchet straps. I thought I was walkin in tall cotton. We were in florida and needed the awning out a lot.

I was going to post a pic but I'm working off my phone and it's taking too long. I will admit that the pipe I used wasn't as big as the pipe the guy in the video used.

Anyway it was all clear outside and I went in to heat something for dinner. 15 minutes later a huge storm came out of nowhere and I couldn't even get outside it was raining so hard. It broke one pole and I couldn't get my door open all the way.
I finally got outside and it had ripped the awning on the side against the trailer and at the roller.
I bought some awning tape and "fixed" both places and traded the windjammer in later.

Also there was a real nice motorhome across the road at the same place in Florida. They always left their awning out and tied down. Their awning got ripped complete off the motorhome and was flopped up on top of it.

I'll never leave my awning out unless I'm there and awake.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We were in an RV park in Caldwell, ID years ago and had gone for the day. When we returned to the park, it was obvious that it had been windy while we were gone as there were quite a few rigs with awnings that were completely destroyed, and some had been rigged with hold downs and other devices to help support them, and none of the rigging made any difference. Ours was not out, and this was a good demonstration of why it's best to not have awnings out when it can get windy while away from the rig.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:24 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Any time I leave my camper any distance I retract the awning or better still don’t put it out if it’s not needed.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:29 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have tie downs for ours, but seldom use them anymore since a real gust of wind came by and pulled half the fabric support out of the trailer. Put the support back with larger screws, but learned a lesson.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #9
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Its so easy to roll them in and out via the electric switches. Tying them out is just asking for trouble.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #10
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
I would not trust our awnings (Dometic) in any kind of wind as they seem rather fragile. I especially despise the knob tilt function. Replacing both with a Colorado Travel'r is up there on my to do list. We had ours literally folded over the top of our class C when boondocking in Sedona. Everything gave and it popped right back out. Scared the sh!t out of us and we were more careful afterward but it handled it.

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/p...s/travelr.html

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:42 PM   #11
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:

I left my awning out in our first trailer then went somewhere. It didn't seem that windy, but when I got back it was garbage. NEVER leave an RV with an awning extended.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:22 PM   #12
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I was in Key West for four weeks during the windy season. Lots of folks, including me, used awning downs, but most of us rolled the awnings up after 15mph. Above 20mph they can get real violent.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #13
jdarwin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21728
Thanks for all the replies. It seems pretty obvious I should just keep doing what I've been doing and bring them in when it gets windy. Too many posts with horror stories. Thanks
jdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #14
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. It seems pretty obvious I should just keep doing what I've been doing and bring them in when it gets windy. Too many posts with horror stories. Thanks
Yup, just got back last week form a 2 week trip camping as close to the beach as you can get. One morning had to help a older guy in the site across from us who left his out that night. It was nasty out, winds 30-40 mph with driving rain. In the morning his awning tube was laying on the picnic table. He said it was all ripped up and had to cut it off the trailer in the middle of the night. I helped him raise it back up and zip tie it in place so they could travel home. $1000 mistake.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote