Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
Mirth1

M.O.C. #21311
Tank vent

We are away from the 3791rd and had a call from our friend who is watching it He said that water was dripping out the rear tank vent He said it stopped when he turned off the water He said it’s coming out where it’s labeled tank vent The water pressure is 45 psi? Any thoughts on what it could be ? We had stay there a week with no leaks and then left Thursday for a few days He said it started leaking today ? Thanks for any help Wayne

Mirth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Wayne,

Welcome to the forum!

I could be several things causing the leak like a faucet dripping and overfilling a tank. Hopefully it is nothing but I would recommend not leaving water turned on when you leave the rig. I turn mine off even if we are just leaving for a few hours.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Assuming the fresh water tank is in the rear … it you have the fresh water selector set to gravity and city water hooked up, you are filling the fresh water tank. If that's the case … the tank is full and overflowing via the vent. Or something else is going on with the selector valve would be my guess.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
X2 with dieselguy on that
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:16 AM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
X3 to dieselguy

Might disconnect fresh fill line from its valve turn on water and see if it leaks (if you have power fill)!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:56 AM   #6
Mirth1

M.O.C. #21311
After returning and turning the water back on the vent started leaking I notice the water pump was on but the value that fills the fresh water was or is closed I drained part of the fresh water tank and turn off the water pump The leak stopped We had parked here for a week with no problem waking with Morning to a slow leak and the fresh water tank is full again with the fill value closed? Could it be filling through the water pump I don’t know where to start The water psi is 45? Any help would be appreciated
Old 07-31-2018, 07:52 AM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'd say there are two possibilities here … check valve in water pump or the selector valve itself. If you remove the large plastic cover behind your convenience center so you can get at the pump or valve, you could use pincher pliers to clamp the output line on the pump to see if the issue goes away. Sometimes sediment gets in the pump valve and if you're lucky you can simply remove the valve and clear it. If it ends up being the selector valve, that's easy to replace as well, but you may have to borrow a crimping tool.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
Mirth1

M.O.C. #21311
Thank you I try that
Old 07-31-2018, 06:41 PM   #9
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you are happy with the pump, you can cut in a check valve into the line on the tank side of the pump. I had the same problem a few years ago, and that was the fix I made. A couple years later I had to replace the pump due to a different issue, and the check valve is still there causing no problem. I used a pvc check valve along with a shark bite adapter on both ends, and just cut a section of pex out of the line and installed the check valve. Just make sure the flow arrow on the check valve is pointed to the pump. The check valve is in the center of the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	check valve.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	2018  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:55 PM   #10
Mirth1

M.O.C. #21311
Thank you for the help