Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
Turtle-Ham
Established Member

M.O.C. #19992
Auto-Leveling Problem - 3721RL

Hi all, we've got a potentially serious problem with the auto leveling in our 3721RL. The first several times that we used it, the system did exactly what it was supposed to; the rig leveled right up and did it quickly.

But now when we activate the auto leveler, the system shows that it's grounding the jacks but eventually squawks and displays an error message that it's timed out. Along with the time out error, the LED on the right side arrow button continuously flashes.

We can put the system into manual mode and are even able to get the front legs down, but they moved extremely slowly and only the one time. The middle and rear legs won't budge - and the right side arrow button continues to flash like it's laughing at us. Also, the front legs won't retract now, so the rig can't be moved.

Shutting off the system and restarting it doesn't make any difference. The voltmeter shows it's got 14VDC. Pressing any of the four arrow buttons (including the snickering right side arrow), we hear the relay clicking inside the battery compartment, but otherwise there's no response.

FWIW, the site where the problem just showed its ugly head is flat asphalt without any holes or anything that would make the legs go askew.

The rig is only five months old, so the warranty is intact, but that also means we're limited to only turning the darn thing on and off.

The problem is clearly a warranty issue, but getting the rig to a service center - let alone an authorized Keystone center - is going to be challenging and no doubt expensive.

Any suggestions? TYA!

Jim & Cori
Turtle-Ham

Turtle-Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #2
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Not sure if you have the electric system or not. I'm guessing not or you would have cranked them already. Either way ~~ call LCI 1st thing and they can walk you through nearly everything.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
As stated, call Lippert: General Support
574.537.8900 They have great customer service.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
It sounds like the main solenoid that drives the hydraulic pump is acting up. When this happens you will hear a click every time you push a button on the pad. You can tap the solenoid lightly with the handle end of a screwdriver to see if this helps. Do the tapping while someone else pushes the button at the same time.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #5
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
you could try to unplug the control pad, wait 30 sec plug back in, this reboots the control pad . you can access this through your propane door. if this doesn't help I would call LCI.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
wal_mart
Established Member

M.O.C. #10728
We had a similar problem because I had put blocks under the front legs. When unit was trying to level, the front needs to lower a substantial amount.We were getting error messages. Removed blocks.
wal_mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #7
Turtle-Ham
Established Member

M.O.C. #19992
Thanks to everyone who replied. My apologies for the late reply; we're staying at a Montana state park where there's no cell service or internet, and I have to drive 50 miles to the nearest public library to take care of business!

Anyway, I had already contacted LCI's tech support, but was answered after a 45-minute wait by a guy who clearly wanted to be somewhere else (and should have been). With that unproductive attempt, I resumed troubleshooting on my own. I have to be very careful though since the unit's warranty is still intact, so even checking screw and hose connections can be cagey.

The fluid level and voltage are all OK, and there are no leaks apparent. The solenoid was/is energizing with every manual command, so I was thinking either the motor pump or coil(or both) was toast.

A second call to LCI brought a very helpful guy (John) on line. He was very helpful and thorough and ultimately agreed that the motor pump had probably gone bad. He's sending an entire assembly to me (motor, pump, tank, etc) which should arrive in 10 days or so. We're camp hosting at the park for another two months, so that should do fine.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll check back in with the results once the new assembly comes in.
Turtle-Ham is offline   Reply With Quote