Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Which Roof Vent is most likely the Black Tank Vent

On my 3670RL, there are three vents, corresponding to the 3 tanks. One on the door near the shower skylight I suspect is the bathroom gray tank.
Two vents close together by the bath are likely the Kitchen Gray tank and the Black tank vent.
Anyone know for sure which is which?

Or do I need to fill and let my Black Tank get stinky and try to sniff it out?

My purpose is to install a better aerodynamic vent from "Coil'n'Wrap" and hopefully alleviate some bathroom stink issues after several days of black tank use while camped long-term.

Thanks!

RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:44 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Chas: The one closest to the shower skylight is the black vent. I put the aerodynamic vents on all three vents.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:23 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm thinking the "sniff" technique will work very well.

Edited:

For clarity, go to the "bowl" first and get a good whiff. Then climb up on roof and start sniffing for the same smell. Since I don't go on the roof, I know that it would work for DW.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Thanks!
The location was correctly identified and the sniff test passed too!
Naturally, when cutting off the post for the legacy vent cap to accommodate the new Extreme Vent, it hopped off into the vent pipe, but came to rest on a little "moon shaped" white "platform" about a little over a foot down the vent pipe. Hmm, ceiling protrusion? I wonder what it could be. It obstructs about 3/4 of the vent diameter, but hopefull the clear area permits enough air flow. I recoverd the errant post using sticky tape on a wire, noticed the white obstruction was immovable.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Chas- If you have a retreaver tool (not sure the correct name is) you should be able to pull that piece out of the vent pipe! What I am talking about is spinloaded tool that we use to pick up bolts, nuts or screws that fall down while working on the engine. IT's about 18 inches long with a pushbutton on the top. You push down on the button and three or four little metal fingers come out and open up to grab the item dropped. I keep one in the truck all the time since I'm prone to drop things when I'm taking things apart.
Glad the "sniff test" worked. Leave it to Wayne to come up with that one!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
So far the Extreme Vent has greatly reduced and often eliminated odor in the bathroom, along with the Geo Method. 10 days since my last dump (daily use) and its starting to get a little smelly again, but nothing like before. Must be time to dump!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
You ought not go as often!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote