Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2018, 02:49 PM   #1
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Equalizing Battery Bank

Is there a preferred option to equalize my batteries?

I can use either my solar system or my inverter/charger to equalize.

I try to equalize with no systems running to prevent potential damage from high DC voltage. Is that an issue I really need to consider?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
I like using my solar charge controller. I equalize at 16 volts so I use the battery disconnect switch to cut off the high voltage from going into the trailer.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Lenny,

Thanks. I will remember to use the battery key to minimize things powered by the batteries while equalizing. It normally stay on all the time as I have another switch that completely isolates the batteries. I believe either of my sources equalize at 15.5 volts so it shouldn't make much difference.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:05 AM   #4
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
The main item to consider when using the solar to equalize the batteries is will you have good sun coverage for the whole period to maintain the equalize state.

Also, have you checked your batteries with a hydrometer or by individual voltage to ensure they are imbalanced and really need equalized? No point hammering them if they are in good shape.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjammersc View Post
The main item to consider when using the solar to equalize the batteries is will you have good sun coverage for the whole period to maintain the equalize state.

Also, have you checked your batteries with a hydrometer or by individual voltage to ensure they are imbalanced and really need equalized? No point hammering them if they are in good shape.
Thanks. I use a hydrometer. For individual voltage, do you simply compare the voltage on the different batteries?

My rig is stored under cover so I tend to use my IC when I equalize which is about twice a year. Both my solar and IC allow me to adjust equalization voltage and both are set at 15.5 volts.

I only boondock about 20% of the time so the rig spends a fair amount of time hooked up to shore power.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
The hydrometer is the preferred/better option but a secondary or quick check is to compare the individual battery voltages when they are fully charged and no load on them. They should be at max voltage and within a few hundredths of a volt from each other.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote