Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
denandannie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11789
Day/Night Shades Failing

I knew they would eventually fail, but not three of them on one outing. I managed to get them in the down mode, but other than that, they were worthless the rest of the seven week vacation. Over the course of their life I've found them to generally be a pain in the ass.

I'm considering replacing them with mini blinds.

Does anyone have any experience and suggestions for replacements?

denandannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I guess I don't understand. Failing Day/Night shades usually are broken strings which result in the shade dropping and you can't get it back up. If you are having a hard time lowering them I would suspect the strings are too tight and they can be adjusted at the bottom anchor spool. All in all they are pretty simple and even a broken string is easily repaired with the readily available kits.

But I can understand your dislike of the Day/Night shades. We found that they were not dark enough in our 2012. Add in the hard to cleaning factor along with them pulling loose from the overhead if you aren't careful, we too decided to replace them. I highly recommend the MCD shades. Not the cheap ones Montana uses but the MCD brand used in high end RVs. We made a trip to the MCD mothership (they are available elsewhere) just to have them replaced and the DW is ecstatic with the results.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
X2 what Carl said. MCD is the best. Our 2015 came with them throughout the trailer EXCEPT the bedroom, go figure, so I finished the work for Keystone and had three custom cut and installed them myself. It is really DARK in there even during a sunny day, best mod I have ever done.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don’t like the day night shades either but I too am wondering what failing means.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #5
denandannie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11789
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I don’t like the day night shades either but I too am wondering what failing means.
Lynwood
Failing means they won't come down, they won't go up, they sit at a cock-eyed angle, and generally are worthless.
denandannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by denandannie View Post
Failing means they won't come down, they won't go up, they sit at a cock-eyed angle, and generally are worthless.
I would say that is a good definition of FAILING. Straight out of Webster.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
geobet
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19170
I had a warranty claim on 2 of mine about a month or so after I bought it. Keystone sent replacement to my dealer who shipped to me - one was broken as well. Called the manufacturer and they sent replacement parts -for the wrong shade. Got fed up with the shades in the living room and the aggravation of dealing with them so replaced all with Levelor shades. They look absolutely fantastic and give the area a residential look. They are easier to operate than the OEM stuff and a cinch to mount. Lowes cut them to my custom size. Easy peasy!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote