Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
Aftermarket warranties

When I bought my 2017 MHC 353RL in December privately and lightly used part of the deal was this Preserve Extended Protection Plan sold by the original dealer. they are definitely a ripoff. They claim they will transfer the warranty for $75 but when it came time to do so they denied the transfer due to the previous owner couldn't produce a receipt for anti-freeze for winterizing the RV. Now I wrote them a detailed procedure on what I did prior to buying it, which included running the on board pump, pressurizing the system and running all water related systems to verify "cherry juice" plus after I bought it I installed a water filter and air pressure tested the whole system, still denied. I read through their booklet which basically says that you have to have a dealer do all the maintenance per the manf. recommendations or its void! I'm a marine surveyor working in the boating industry since 1975 so there's very little on a RV that I don't understand or can fix on my own, plus if you add up the dealer fees it becomes just another money grab!!

RVDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You got very bad extended warranties. We have had them on both our Montana's over a period of 11 years.RV shield and now Cornerstone. We used both many times all over the country and never had a problem with service or payment. The RV shield contract was a 7 year contract and they reimbursed us for the year we still had left on it when we changed companies. I guess it depends on the company one chooses.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #3
sdinsley
Established Member

M.O.C. #20930
I have a question, but its not directly related to extended warranties. How do folks handle getting warranty repairs done when they have moved to a different state or are on travel far from the dealership where they bought their unit from. I called two Keystone dealers that where closer to me than than the location where I purchased my Montana from and both dealerships made it clear that they do not do warranty work on units they did not sell.

Any Thoughts or experiences.

Thanks in advance
sdinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We call Keystone customer service and let them make the arrangements. That is of course when we are in travel and far away from our selling dealer.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:22 PM   #5
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Has anyone had experience with Wholesale Warranties?

https://wholesalewarranties.com/rv-w...-or-5th-wheel/

Do you have the same issues with extended warranties as you do with the OEM warranty? IE: "We won't work on it because you did not buy it here".
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:35 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Have not had that problem in 11 years on the road We have no experience with a Warranty from Wholesale warranties.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have had the same experience as Rich. Since we full time we are almost never near our selling dealer and Keystone has always smoothed the way for us.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #8
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
we used protective on our SOB, we had the slide/landing gear breaker go out while trying to leave Fort Wilderness Resort at Disney World, darn had to stay another day as repairs took us into 5pm. Protective paid all repairs including the night stay at the resort in a timely manner, highly recommend them

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote