Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2018, 07:22 PM   #1
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
Battery Monitor

I am planning my first real boondock trip for a few nights off and on when we head out west May-July next year. I want to test the drain on the batteries before I go to know where I stand in various lighting scenarios and monitor the total amp-hours used. While searching for a battery monitor to check my consumption I came across this on Amazon for less than $20. What do you regular boondockers use?

https://smile.amazon.com/bayite-6-5-...DCRHQ6X1XAXGHB

Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:09 AM   #2
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
sure, why not, get a monitor but you really don't have to monitor your batteries alot, but, assuming a lot here, when on battery use common sense.

you can get way without 110volt for a couple of days. longer if you use a generator or solar.

you'll use gas for the refrg and water heater so you are all set. your furance will kill your battery if you use it a lot.

have 2 batteries, not one. and if you will be doing a lot of dry camping get a generator or solar.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
Dsull
Established Member

M.O.C. #23083
I pulled out the 12v and bought 4 blemish 6 Volt batteries from my interstate dealer. We camped out last weekend, temps were in the 30's at night and used the furnace both nights set at 65* and had enough power to pull slide in and leave after we were done. We didn't use the lights much and used up all the fresh water while we were out there.

I plan on 2 more 6 volts and some solar panels before the spring hits, and I have a Propane fueled generator we bought when we had our motor home for longer trips.
Dsull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchy View Post
I am planning my first real boondock trip for a few nights off and on when we head out west May-July next year. I want to test the drain on the batteries before I go to know where I stand in various lighting scenarios and monitor the total amp-hours used. While searching for a battery monitor to check my consumption I came across this on Amazon for less than $20. What do you regular boondockers use?

https://smile.amazon.com/bayite-6-5-...DCRHQ6X1XAXGHB
The one I installed was a $206 but it has bluetooth so you can monitor your batteries on your cell phone Victron BMV-712

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energ...ywords=bmv-712
darrylwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:06 AM   #5
Ddubya
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18941
Here is an inexpensive option.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Mon....c100290.m3507

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #6
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I installed one of the cheap lcd ? meters ($8 or so). If works fine and is accurate enough to let me know when the batteries are getting low on charge.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #7
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I've a Triminic in the 5er, but that Amazon one looks interesting. We use a separate deep cycle battery for lighting and fans (also recharging phones!) at art & craft shows we vend at and something like that would be worth it to know how much juice is left. If I didn't already have the Triminic, I'd probably go with the Amazon one.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:04 AM   #8
grumbolt
Established Member

M.O.C. #22670
i have found nice panel mount meters at mpja.com that show ac as well as dc, you can get the amperage meters as well.

i havent put them in my monty yet, but it is on the list!
grumbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #9
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
The Victron and Trimetric battery monitors are probably the two most popular ones used when people do solar installs as they provide the best overall capability/data.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #10
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
I cary a seperate battery in the bed of the truck and keep it always charged thruogh the fifth wheel connector IN the bed of the truck. When the fifth wheel is attached the battery is discunnected then re connected when the trailer is parked. If the trailer batteries get low I connect the trailer cord to the BUMPER connector and the third battery helps out. If I go fishing, hunting, hiking in the truck the battery gets recharged while driving. If I plan to be a long time between charges I plug the trailer in to the bumper plug every night. I also have a large solar panel on the roof of the trailer. Have never run out of charge.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote