Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2022, 01:05 PM   #1
IRollman
Established Member

M.O.C. #22976
Main Entry Door Problems

I have a ~2019 3791RD Fifth Wheel, bought new about 2.5 years ago. It was purchased from Camping World in Spartanburg SC, and I had it towed to Jackson SC (about 3 hours away), where it has remained in the same place ever since. (I'm a full timer.)

About a month or two ago, the door required a bit more "persuasion" than usual to close, to the point recently of needing to be slammed two or three times to get it to latch and the deadbolt to close. Yesterday, after a round of slamming, I got it locked. When I went to open it, the deadbolt lever spun freely. Fortunately, I was inside and able to take apart the mechanism and get out. I can probably get the hardware to work properly - there's a "]" shaped piece of metal that came out, this is the piece that attaches the lever to the deadbolt.

My bigger question is why is the door giving me problems? Here's what I can tell.

I re-leveled the RV yesterday. Completely retracted the legs and auto-leveled. That seemed to help - some. It did not completely solve the issue. I still have to slam.

There are scrape marks on the strike plate, and associated scrape marks on the latch side.

(Disregard electrical tape holding the deadbolt in - don-t want to get stuck locked out)

It looks like the upper left corner (as viewed from outside) of the door is hitting the frame.

And I can see daylight at the upper right corner (as viewed from outside, but daylight is seen from inside obviously) when the door is closed. No pic for this one.

It almost seems that the door frame is skewed a little bit. But I have no idea how that would have happened, and there is no other evidence of it (body panels wrinkling, etc.).

Thoughts?

IRollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:28 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
The door opening must have changed. Re leveling the trailer is a good start. Do you have 6 point leveling? If so you might try to manually extend or retract the center jacks. Another option would be to recalibrate the zero point on the leveling system.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:12 PM   #3
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Make sure that the Stairsare not interfering with the bottom of the door. i also have a 3791 RD and the stairs are a constant problem. And the trailer does flex enough that it has to be leveled just so. It helps to keep the latch and striker plate well lubricated.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:17 PM   #4
Ntense0911
Established Member

M.O.C. #30206
Lubricate!

I have a 2017 and was having the same problem. I got some lubricant spray and sprayed the hinges top, middle and bottom. I worked the door back and forth several times. It got easier and by the next morning it was functioning properly again. BTW, I used triflow as the lubricant.
Ntense0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:56 PM   #5
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Some of the interior parts of the door lock are a cast pot metal that is easily broken if forced by turning the key. Look at the alignment of the spring latch and the deadbolt in conjunction with the strike plate on the frame. With the door about 1" from being closed, make a pencil mark on the door frame where the beveled spring latch and dead bolt need to enter. Check the depth of the recess hole, that there is enough room for the dead bolt to fully extend into without bottoming out. You may have to loosen the 2 screws securing the strike plate, outwards so the beveled spring latches sooner without having to slam the door. Dry silicone lubricant should be introduced a couple of times per year to the moving parts of the door, lock, and hinges. As mentioned by others, check the legs of the fold out stairs for proper extension. The hydraulic landing legs can sometimes creep allowing the trailer to lower. If the door is closed when this happens, the threshold of the stairs can be bent causing the door to forced upwards into the frame. A closeup inspection of the door to frame clearances as the door begins to enter the jamb will help you to solve this problem.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:16 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I regularly spray PTFE Dry Lube on the lock mechanism and striker plate. It doesn't attract dirt like an oily lubricant does. Makes closing the door very easy. Some people take the name "slam latch" VERY seriously!
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:49 PM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Check all the screws on the door hinges, on both the door side and the frame side. These wiggle loose over time and occasionally need to be tightened again. If they get loose, the door will sag causing it to rub.

Also, the striker plate can move also, causing the door to close hard. Check to make sure it's aligned good and those screws are tight also.

Also, check the screws on the door lock, especially those on the edge that rub the door frame. If they wiggle loose, even slightly, it can cause the door to rub and latch hard.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:11 PM   #8
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
Our previous Montana - 2014 3850FL had a similar problem. In your photo showing the upper left, it also appears that the door had taken the paint off of the drip rail. That is what happened on ours. The cause in our case was the "Friction Hinge". It was so tight it warped the frame attached to the body of the RV. Lubrication didn't help. I had an extended warranty that covered a full replacement of the entire door assembly (door and frame). The new door assembly also had the "friction hinge" but it was not nearly as tight.

I've recently read another post on this forum where someone was able to order a new set of hinges. You might be successful with a search for entry door hinge.
C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:38 PM   #9
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
Here's the thread I mentioned in my previous post.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=86889
C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:46 PM   #10
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM7018 View Post
Our previous Montana - 2014 3850FL had a similar problem. In your photo showing the upper left, it also appears that the door had taken the paint off of the drip rail. That is what happened on ours. The cause in our case was the "Friction Hinge". It was so tight it warped the frame attached to the body of the RV. Lubrication didn't help. I had an extended warranty that covered a full replacement of the entire door assembly (door and frame). The new door assembly also had the "friction hinge" but it was not nearly as tight.

I've recently read another post on this forum where someone was able to order a new set of hinges. You might be successful with a search for entry door hinge.
That never occurred to me but makes total sense.
Old 07-11-2022, 05:20 PM   #11
IRollman
Established Member

M.O.C. #22976
@Foldbak, I do have the 6 point leveling, but there is no menu option to articulate the center jacks only. From what I can tell Googling, this is a "feature". I have recalibrated zero a couple of times.

@shovelhead86, stairs are not interfering, there is plenty of clearance.

@firestation12, @DutchmenSport, strike plate is already out as far as it goes. The "lip" that folds into the void is in contact with the outer door frame, so no further out-adjustment is possible, at least not without serious Dremeling. Screws were the first thing I checked. Everything is buttoned up tight.

@CM7018, friction hinge does seem pretty tight, although there's no obvious damage (snapped pin, etc.). Yes, there is contact with the drip rail, good observation. No extended warranty for me. Looking at your other post you linked, this seems like it could be a cause. I'm wondering if judicious use of a mallet and 2x4, or careful use of a Hi-Lift, might bend the door/ frame back into place.

All, I will try lubrication. Need to make a trip to Lowes.
IRollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 02:40 PM   #12
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
One of my pet peeves is slamming doors. Over time the latch mechanism on my Monty's door will become more difficult to close. PTFE lubricant helps a lot. Some years ago i was about to buy a new lock/latch assembly to solve this kind of problem. Then I decided I had nothing to lost by taking the old one apart. Found all working surfaces dry. Applied small amount of synthetic brake caliper grease to all the working parts. Put it back together and was amazed at how easily the door and latch operated. Synthetic brake caliper grease is good because it will not melt and run when hot and it doesn't get stiff when cold.
Old 07-17-2022, 03:07 PM   #13
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRollman View Post
I have a ~2019 3791RD Fifth Wheel, bought new about 2.5 years ago. It was purchased from Camping World in Spartanburg SC, and I had it towed to Jackson SC (about 3 hours away), where it has remained in the same place ever since. (I'm a full timer.)

About a month or two ago, the door required a bit more "persuasion" than usual to close, to the point recently of needing to be slammed two or three times to get it to latch and the deadbolt to close. Yesterday, after a round of slamming, I got it locked. When I went to open it, the deadbolt lever spun freely. Fortunately, I was inside and able to take apart the mechanism and get out. I can probably get the hardware to work properly - there's a "]" shaped piece of metal that came out, this is the piece that attaches the lever to the deadbolt.

My bigger question is why is the door giving me problems? Here's what I can tell.

I re-leveled the RV yesterday. Completely retracted the legs and auto-leveled. That seemed to help - some. It did not completely solve the issue. I still have to slam.

There are scrape marks on the strike plate, and associated scrape marks on the latch side.

(Disregard electrical tape holding the deadbolt in - don-t want to get stuck locked out)

It looks like the upper left corner (as viewed from outside) of the door is hitting the frame.

And I can see daylight at the upper right corner (as viewed from outside, but daylight is seen from inside obviously) when the door is closed. No pic for this one.

It almost seems that the door frame is skewed a little bit. But I have no idea how that would have happened, and there is no other evidence of it (body panels wrinkling, etc.).

Thoughts?
Triple check level at the door. Use a spray lube to make sure the lock is free and the closing latch mechanism can slide into position easily. That is all I had to do to fix my slammer.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 03:08 PM   #14
jubzexcel
Established Member

M.O.C. #14546
We have had trouble, we finally bought a whole new lock package. Try support@rvlock.com
jubzexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 05:03 PM   #15
Rick n Kelly
Established Member

M.O.C. #24855
I had same issue. I tightened the screws and solved the problem.
Rick n Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 05:48 PM   #16
Scootsk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23929
I’m having the exact same issue in my 19 3791RD. Tried everything everyone has mentioned to no avail. Going to follow this post to see if anyone has a solution.
Scootsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 05:52 PM   #17
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We just fixed ours.
When level, no problem.
When hitched on the road and NOT level, the door was sometimes difficult to close/latch.
I saw the screen screws had been rubbing the door frame. I ground them down with a Dremel bit.
I also noticed the door catch plate screws (button head) were rubbing on the door. I replaced them with counter sunk screws.
Last, I noticed the door striker was VERY close to the top edge of the catch plate. I took my Dremel and carved out a 1/4" more out of the plate.
Works very smooth now, level or not...
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:53 PM   #18
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
You might want to change out the lock
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:29 PM   #19
Doug Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10001
This is probably from not having your rig level. Staying for long periods it is very important to level your rig. Check it again after a week,
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 12:00 PM   #20
tcmontana62

M.O.C. #30774
I have a 2021 Montana High Country the had the same problem. I took it in for service as was told that the door was coming apart. The door spring hinge was not installed properly and was buckling the door and was coming apart inside, The door had to be rebuild and the hinged modified and then properly installed. I'm basically 4 months out of warranty and Keystone would not pay for it or my extended warranty.
tcmontana62 is offline   Reply With Quote