Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2023, 07:47 PM   #1
Snowbear

M.O.C. #30037
Washer/dryer questions

I have a 2009 montana mountaineer 324RLQ. The washer dryer hookups are in a small closet in the bedroom, and a TV cabinet is on top of that. I have taken measurements and it seems that there is a shelf thing in the way of getting any washer in there. I would like to take the divider out and get a stackable. Any suggestions?

Snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 08:34 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If it is like my 2007 3075RL the TV shelf is just high enough to get a combo washer/dryer in the cabinet below the TV. The combo is what we had. But removing the TV shelf should allow stackable units to be installed there. Obviously careful measurements would be advisable before any demo.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 07:35 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Although a completely different model, the space available in my Montana required removing shelves too. Actually, they removed pretty easy. The washing machine sits on the bottom shelf, the dryer on the top shelf. This divider could not be removed. The shelves between them were.

Once removed, I reinforced the platforms that the washing machine and the dryer sat on and also put better supports for the shelves also. I used a combination of finishing nails and Liquid Nails to put the upright supports on the walls.

In my situation, the water heater sits on the bottom. So after removing the shelves, I built new supports from the floor up to the first shelf. Then laid the shelf back in place. The original design just had some screws screwed into the Styrofoam walls. This would have NEVER held the weight and g-forces of the washer bouncing down the road. Collapse was doomed to happen. So, that was first.

Once the bottom tier was strengthened, I did the same from that shelf upward to the next shelf the same way. All the uprights were wedged in very tight from one layer to the next. The end result was an very strong new shelf system so there was room for both washer and dryer to rest, without collapsing onto the water heater that sits under it all.

Photos are explain more than works can. For what it's worth .... Yes, you can do it. Measure carefully and if you have to install in 2 tiers, do all you can to strengthen each shelf from the floor up. If they can actually stack, make sure the bottom one is not sitting directly on the floor. Place a sheet of at least 1/4 inch plywood under it, to protect rubbing on the floor and wearing holes.

Photos:

original:

after removing the shelves:

Where extra supports were installed from the floor upwards:

After the install:

We wanted to replace the original doors on the cabinets, but that did not happen. The washing machine door opens from the left, the dryer opens from the right. The bed is in the way making for a very tight squeeze to access anything. The dryer door does not open all the way out because of the slide out frame. Leaving the original doors in place caused even more restrictive space. So, we just left the doors off. We thought about hanging a curtain over everything, but decided my wife and I are the only 2 that ever see this room, so it does not matter if we see the washer and dryer all the time. It simplified our lfie.

And for what it's worth, the washing machine and dryer was one of the absolute best changes we did. We are away from home about 10 months of the year. Laundry mats just take way too much time and money!

And another thing you'll need to figure out is how much water the washing machine actually uses. I ran several tests on mine after it was installed by catching grey tank water in a bucket of known size. Turned out, each load uses 8 gallons of water. This is important to know, especially since I never hook up to city water. I always run water from my fresh water tank.

It's also important to know how much water it uses too, because of the capacity of the holding tank. We very seldom, VERY SELDOM, are ever on a campsite will full hook-ups. So, we use a Barker Blue Tote sewer tote to haul the waste to the dump stations.

Knowing your capacities is always vital.

So, yes, you can remove those shelves. Just do it carefully and do all you can to reinforce the space. Those washing machines and dryers weigh a lot. Add to that all the bouncing on the road, and you really want to make sure they are resting on a solid foundation! That's my strongest advise for you.

Good luck! Happy camping!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 02:18 PM   #4
BobStack
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25753
Nice job!! Looks very professional.
BobStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 08:13 AM   #5
Hit The Road
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27454
We did all this investigation prior to buying our rig new. Doors open without obstruction, access to bedrooms, fridge and toilet when the rig in closed up. I have found most shelves are cheap and can be removed easily. Then you can reinforced them when you rebuild! Good luck!
B&W 20k companion hitch
Hit The Road is offline   Reply With Quote