Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2005, 05:31 AM   #1
Montana_3808

M.O.C. #3808
Solar Charging System, Monatana with 3.6 Geneator

Just another newbe

Ginny & I are new RV'ers have a 37' 2003 Montana, we love it but probably is to long to be hauling around but that what we have.

I want to put in a Solar system but we are not sure just how to go about it would appreaciate any experience that would help.

senatort

Montana_3808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:09 AM   #2
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Welcome aboard senatort! Know you will just love your Montana. Don't know a thing about Solar systems, but am sure someone will be along soon to help you out. Many happy trails to you ......
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 07:39 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
senatort

Welcome to the MOC

Curious tho, why you feel the 37 foot is too long to haul around??

Cannot help with the Solar System either, but, I am pretty sure there are a couple of fellas that have it, and at least one solo gal we know of (she had hers installed for her someplace in Florida).
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:50 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I can't help with the solar system but wanted to say 'welcome aboard', Senatort! Lots of us are hauling around big Montanas. It's not a big deal, just takes a bit of getting used to, like most everything in life. I'm sure you'll enjoy it immensely.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:57 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059

Welcome to Montana Land. As to the solar panels, if it were me, I would have a conversation with someone like Camping World or an RV technition (out of the service department rather than the sales department)about all the necessary components required to complete the connectivity to your rigs electrical system. I might research the issue thoroughly so I would know how to shop intellegently. I am sort of talking to myself here because I plan on using some solar juice when we get into the fulltiming mode.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:32 AM   #6
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I second Stiles recommendation to research, but CW is a little over priced. A search on this forum will get you some info, then search the 'net [solar power, solar panel, alternate power, etc.]. There is one in Quartzite that installs on RV's. I did my own after some research.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:58 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I don't have solar panels either, but here's some info from someone who does !!

http://www.klenger.net/arctic-fox/solar/index.html
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:58 AM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
VanMan, that is a good site, thanks for your post. I like pictures when I am trying to figure something out and this site has it broken down very clearly.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:45 AM   #9
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
senatort: Welcome aboard!

Here's kind of a "primer" on solar from Good Sam:

Featured Tech Tip

Planning a Solar System

Solar power is the method of battery charging favored by most RVers when camping without an electrical hookup. If you have the right equipment for your needs, it's the most efficient.

Solar power produces electricity from sunlight using solar panels. The panels are composed of photovoltaic cells, which are made from quartz crystals. When exposed to light from the sun, the crystals create electricity. As the intensity of the light increases, more current is generated.

A completed cell has a voltage output of between 0.45 and 0.5 volts. It is wired in a series with other cells to form a panel of 32 to 36 cells to produce the voltage needed for battery charging.

An RV's solar system consists of the panels (normally more than one is needed), a controller, and a suitable bank of batteries. This system will provide power for your 12-volt DC equipment. If you want to operate 120-volt AC equipment, an inverter must be included in your electrical system.

There are a wide variety of panels available with many different specifications. The lower wattage panels are the smallest in physical size because they have fewer cells, and they also weigh less. Along with the wattage, both the size and the weight ate things you'll need to take into consideration.

The first step in planning a solar system is to calculate how much 12-volt DC electricity you use in an average day so you can determine the number of ampere-hours needed in the battery bank. If you plan to operate any 120-volt AC equipment from an inverter, also include this usage.

There is no precise way to determine how much battery capacity you'll need, but there is a method you can use: assuming you follow the conservative practice of discharging the batteries to around 25 percent of capacity, multiply the total daily ampere-hour usage by four. The resulting figure will be close to the minimum amount of ampere-hours you'll need.

You can use any battery size and type that you prefer, but keep in mind that deep-cycle batteries should never be discharged below 50%. Once the battery capacity is figured, you can determine how many panels you'll require to achieve the minimum charge.

I have found a lot of info by doing a Google search on "rv solar" or similar topics. Here is one site to check out:

http://www.rvsolarelectric.com/

There's a lot of useful information here, even how to plan your system and a worksheet for determining power requirements, etc.

Good luck.

Bruce
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #10
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
WOW! I knew if I read far enough someone would give the right info plus a web site. TKS
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:51 PM   #11
Montana_3808

M.O.C. #3808
Thank you so Much Bruce I ordered 2 manuals from that site. I appreaciate you taking the time to help Ginny & I with all the info.
Maybe some day we will meet and I can thank you personally. Ted
Montana_3808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:16 PM   #12
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
This is what a "family" is for...to help one another whenever we can. Keep us posted on how you are coming along...You just might become the "resident expert" on solar systems for Montys!!.

Looking forward to meeting as many of "us" as possible on down the road.

Bruce
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 06:16 AM   #13
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Welcome to the forum, senatort! I'm the 'solo gal' CountryGuy referred to with the solar system on my Montana. (Which, by the way, is 36'6" in the specs, but actually measures over 37' and I handle it alone )

I bought my solar system from, and had it installed by, John Palmer, Palmer Energy Systems, in Lake City, FL last October. John does a fantastic job of explaining solar energy options, recommending what you need based on your power usage habits, and installing all the components. I selected 4-100 watt panels, 2-8D Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries, Magnum Energy ME2012 inverter/charger and Heliotrope HPV-22 charge controller. I'm very happy with the system, and, although I don't consider myself an expert on solar energy, I learned a lot from John and continue to consult him whenever I have questions.

John offers solar kits starting at under $1,000. He lives in an RV full-time and has no hook-ups, so he actually uses solar energy totally! A lot of his business is fixing problems from other solar companies. For more info, go to http://www.jolynenterprises.com/.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 07:40 AM   #14
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome to the forum, senatort. As you have already seen demonstrated, the people on this forum are knowledgeable and more than willing to help. Once you get used to the Montana, I am sure you will have no trouble towing it wherever you want to go - hubby says our 36' Monty tows like a dream. Safe travels.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote