Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2005, 11:15 AM   #1
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Crash Course-Dual Propane Tanks

Okay, filled up the propane bottles, even tho hubby said they were already full (well, almost, needed 5lbs in each) I hate when he's right. Anyways, how do you do the "thingy" again on them so that they regulate? I tried searching, but can't find the old link.

Thanks so much!

Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:04 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
If the thumb thingie is turned in the direction pointint to the right it is taking from the drivers side tank, with both valves open, the indecater will show green, when the tank is empty it will go to red, then turn the switch to the left and then that tank on the passinger side will be used, I purchased a tank with a gage and installed it on that side so I can see how much gas I have left, I can also fill up the other tank when I want to. I can put in the extra tank when I get it filled.

TT2
Old 01-30-2005, 02:22 PM   #3
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I thought that they would switch automatically when one went dry with both valves open.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 02:53 PM   #4
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Re auto switching...it does...but when the "selected:" side is empty, the indicator turns red. That is your signal to move the selector valve handle to the "other" side. The indicator will then turn green. At your leisure, disconnect the "empty" side for a refill, hook it back up, turn on its valve and then wait for the selected side to run out. Auto switching will again occur and the indicator to turn red again. Repeat the process.

Best,

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:21 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If I may add to what PJ and the other said, you want to move the handle to the non-empty tank before you remove the empty tank to have it refilled.

For the auto switching to work both tanks have to be open.

Sue, was that 5 lbs or 5 gallons? Each of those tanks holds a little over 7 gallons. If it was 5 lbs, he's right. If it was 5 gallons, then it's not empty but closer to empty than to full!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:35 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Patodonn,Well said that is a great explanation in a few words,
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:13 PM   #7
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

If the thumb thingie is turned in the direction pointint to the right it is taking from the drivers side tank,
TT2
Sorry, my hair isn't blonde either. Do both of the "thingy's" point towards the bottles????
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Continuing on with something I thought I knew but never tried out and never explored...

Anyway as I understood it at the time I got the briefing on the regulator:

both tank valves open, lever set to one tank regulator indicator is green. Tank enpties, indicator switches to half green/half red. Other full tank is set online but at diminished flow until lever is set to full tank and then indicator goes all green.

That is how I understood it but never tried it out to see. Would like to know from someone who has.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:45 PM   #9
Montana_562
Established Member

M.O.C. #562
Your right! Lever points to tank in use. Indicator goes almost all red and automatically starts pulling from other tank. Switch lever to new tank and indicator goes all red. You can close valve on "old" tank, have it filled, reinstall and be sure to open valve. By this time, in this weather, the tank in use is about used up, so you get to do it all over again.

Get a good electric heater to relieve the heavy use of propane.
Montana_562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:48 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
On mine it goes to all red when the primary tank (handle pointing to that one) is empty. When I move the handle to the other tank, the indicator instantly goes to green, assuming the tank valve is open.

Sue, there's only one handle and it points to the line from the bottle that it is drawing from when the indicator is green. In this picture the handle is pointing to the left. That would usually be the bottle that's on the door side, the one where the regulator also lives.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:05 AM   #11
Montana_2825
Established Member

M.O.C. #2825
sillyme noted how fast propane bottles go empty in this weather. I changed out the 18" pigtail hose for a 60" hose on the off side. Now I can set a 40# bottle on the ground and still have the 30# bottle in the compartment on that side. When the off side bottle empties and the automatic regulator swaps over, I shut off the valve on the empty tank, move the pigtail to the full 40# bottle, and open the valve on the 40 # bottle. Now I have plenty of time to get the empty 30# bottle refilled. In fact, I can wait for both #30 pound bottles to empty before going to the propane station.
Montana_2825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:51 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good post, wingnut. I like that idea.

Our setup is a bit different but mostly because our Nov/Dec home-near-the-kids is in a cold weather area. That park provides a 100 lb bottle, charging only for the propane ($50.14 this past winter). So we got the extend-a-stay or whatever it's called kit and can hook up to the 100 lb bottle the same time our two 30 lb bottles are connected. I shut off the 30 pounder on the door side where the 100 pounder is also connected and use it as a backup, just in case. In this particular park I just tell them I need another bottle and they deliver it to the door and pick up the old one (love it!).

As you noted, in cold weather we go through a lot of propane. In constant subfreezing weather we can go through a 30 pounder in as little as three days (that's probably constant sub-20 degrees weather), 10 days for the 100 pounder.. In November and early December the 100 pounder can last a month.