Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
Woody_Smith

M.O.C. #23527
Figuring out the water system on my new to me 2007 Montana 2955rl

The water hookup bay has me very confused. (And so does figuring out how to rotate an attached photo.). Which of the three inlets are which is still a mystery. The setup in the photo is the only way I could get running water in the rig and also dump the tanks. The “Normal/Winterize” selector is in the “Winterize” position but if I turn it the other way it fills the Fresh Water tank and I got no water to the house plumbing.

I just tired to backwash the Black Tank by connecting a hose to the bottom inlet, which I think is labeled to show that purpose. Opened the dump valve for the Black tank, turned on water to the hose and nothing happened. Water went somewhere, but didn’t come out anywhere.

So I tried the same setup but to the middle water inlet and got the same result, water in, nothing out.

Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B10D6967-A29F-4E7B-8171-80309A2F1DFF.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	3257  

Woody_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
Roadtravelers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19116
water valves

We have a 2016 305RL I too had a hard time figuring the valves out This is what I believe. The TOP hose connection along with the Top and Middle valves are for winterizing the trailer. The MIDDLE hose connection is for city water and for filling the fresh water tank with the BOTTOM valve selected to fill position. The BOTTOM hose connection is for Black Tank Flush only.

I remarked my city valves to read the following: CITY / WATER TANK FILL Plus the Bottom valve I relabeled it to say: CITY WATER ( WHEN VALVE IS HORIZONTAL ) AND BELOW THE VALVE (with the valve in a (
VERTICAL POSITION) to read "FRESH TANK FILL RETURN TO CTY WATER WHEN TANK IS FULL"

I hope this helps
Roadtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Picture always seem to like to be "landscape". With the long side of the
pic on the bottom and top.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
Woody_Smith

M.O.C. #23527
Jim and pat,

Thanks for the input. I’ll give your hookup a try in the morning. But I still have the question about backwashing. When I connected a hose to the bottom inlet, opened the Black valve and turned on the water, I expected that after a couple of minutes I’d see water flow from the sewer hose, but I got nothing. I’m wondering how long you have to wait before you usually see some discharge?
Old 03-03-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You should hear the water flowing into the flush from the pipes behind the center at least a little bit. If it's not flowing then either the sprayer is plugged or the check valve is bad. The check valve is in line somewhere, probably under the bathroom sink, but it could be in the wall somewhere. Tubing will come up and connect to the valve (probably black plastic) and then go right back down. Depending on your current temperatures and how the rig was winterized you could also have ice between the valve and the sprayer.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:04 PM   #6
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I have an older 2955 and my backflow is in the wall between the shower and the pantry. You need to close the pocket door at top of steps and then in the pantry there is a panel that you open and look down in to see the air gap (backflow) device. Many on this forum have removed this device due to leaks. Your connections are different than mine so I can't help you there.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:27 PM   #7
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
From your picture you are hooked up to the winterize port. The center hook up is your fresh water/ tank fill
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS3950 View Post
From your picture you are hooked up to the winterize port. The center hook up is your fresh water/ tank fill
Agree. Normal water connection should go to the center connection port. Top is for winterizing. Bottom is for black tank flush. Labels are above the respective named ports.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
Woody_Smith

M.O.C. #23527
Yep, jimandpat clued me in on that and I fixed it this morning. Last week when I took delivery of this thing the Winterizing port was the only one I could find that got water to the house.

I also found the panel h2ohjocky pointed out for the backflow device. Actually, I had already noticed it but had no idea of what it was for.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_Smith View Post
I also found the panel h2ohjocky pointed out for the backflow device. Actually, I had already noticed it but had no idea of what it was for.
Mine is a different floor plan. But it is a 2007. And the anti siphon valve was between the shower and my entry closet. And it did have a removable plastic panel for access to that area. But that panel was not in the correct place to access the anti siphon valve. I could reach in and feel it, but could not see it. I had to cut a new opening to get to that valve. Made a picture frame from Home Depot trim for the piece I cut out, and used it for new cover.
In the first picture you can see the original opening and my new opening below and left. In the second you can see my new cover. You can also see pink stuff in my shower lines and my flush lines as this pic was taken after I had winterized.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	3277   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	3278  
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #11
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_Smith View Post
Jim and pat,

Thanks for the input. I’ll give your hookup a try in the morning. But I still have the question about backwashing. When I connected a hose to the bottom inlet, opened the Black valve and turned on the water, I expected that after a couple of minutes I’d see water flow from the sewer hose, but I got nothing. I’m wondering how long you have to wait before you usually see some discharge?

Many have had the black and grey tank valves miss marked. Make shure you are opening the black tank. Try opening the grey tank and see if water comes out with the flush running.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote