Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2016, 06:41 PM   #1
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
You know it's really sad...a new truck stop

DW and I were headed from Williamsburg, VA to SE PA.

We found a new route...saves 40-50 min vs our traditional route up Rt 301 to Rt 50...over the bridge at Annapolis...then up to Wilmington, back on I95 and home. New route: N on Rt301 from Richmond area to MD RT 3 to I 97N to I695 E to I95N. Still avoids DC but doesnt head as far east as Annapolis

Anyway....we also found a new Flying J with RV lanes. Dont know why but we liked the location just over the Havre de Grace bridge hoing north on I95. There's another Flying J truck stop...no RV lanes...about 20 miles further north. Much harder to get in/out and no RV lanes.

How sad is it that we get excited by finding a new truck stop!??!!??

chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:32 AM   #2
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
Send a message via Yahoo to egregg57
Not sad at all! Good info! Couple of years ago when we visited Williamsburg we used 695. No traffic, nice drive, (relatively speaking!). Nice to know about places that can accommodate our larger rigs. Even more nice to find out about a place that actually is designed to accommodate RV's!

Thanks!
egregg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:09 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I'm a retired trucker after 20 years and 3,000,000 miles. HATED truck stops when still working and HATE them now!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:51 AM   #4
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We use the truck lanes but not Flying J or Pilot because they put the dollar amount hold on your credit card and don’t remove it for 3 or 4 days. Loves and TA don’t do this. I tell them $75 and only pump $50 Flying J / Pilot don’t clear this for the amount of purchase for several days TA and Loves does within an hour or so.

Not that I have any financial problem with this but I just will not underwrite their bottom line with my credit.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:00 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My guess is that the FJ without RV lanes was a previous Pilot station. We do stick to FJ because there are so may of them.We use the RV plus card for discounts and no credit hold.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:47 AM   #6
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
News about the credit holds. I just got off the phone with Flying J corp, credit dept. Fly J does not put a hold on the card, the card issuer does that. Depending on what island you go through, regular, RV or truck, Flying J submits an authorization amount that matches the limit for that pump transaction. Once they get the "ok" they release the pump. As soon as you finish your transaction, Fly J authorizes the actual amount and transmits that to the card issuer so they can release the "hold". The card issuer can take up to 7 days to release the funds. They aren't suppose to take that long but sometimes they do. Limits at the pumps are...gas lanes $150.00, RV lanes $500.00, truck lanes $500.00. Here is how it works. You go to the RV lane and swipe your card. The station recognizes you are at the RV pump and requests from your card issuer that you have $500.00 avail credit. Once the station gets that info they release the pump. You finish pumping and spent $75.82. The station submits that info to the card issuer and the issuer then is supposed to release the funds. This is supposed to happen real time but unfortunately not all card issuers are onboard. So... the problem is not the truck stop, it's your card issuer.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:39 AM   #7
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JABURKHOLDER

News about the credit holds. I just got off the phone with Flying J corp, credit dept. Fly J does not put a hold on the card, the card issuer does that. Depending on what island you go through, regular, RV or truck, Flying J submits an authorization amount that matches the limit for that pump transaction. Once they get the "ok" they release the pump. As soon as you finish your transaction, Fly J authorizes the actual amount and transmits that to the card issuer so they can release the "hold". The card issuer can take up to 7 days to release the funds. They aren't suppose to take that long but sometimes they do. Limits at the pumps are...gas lanes $150.00, RV lanes $500.00, truck lanes $500.00. Here is how it works. You go to the RV lane and swipe your card. The station recognizes you are at the RV pump and requests from your card issuer that you have $500.00 avail credit. Once the station gets that info they release the pump. You finish pumping and spent $75.82. The station submits that info to the card issuer and the issuer then is supposed to release the funds. This is supposed to happen real time but unfortunately not all card issuers are onboard. So... the problem is not the truck stop, it's your card issuer.
Great info. Thanks
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:31 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
With the FJ/pilot Rv plus card you have none of those issues. Insert card, get discount pump fuel.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:13 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Dropped the Plus card because I get a bigger discount on fuel from my regular card and then I use my old RV Advantage card and get discounts on meals etc.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:29 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

With the FJ/pilot Rv plus card you have none of those issues. Insert card, get discount pump fuel.
That's what we do. Also, at FlyingJ/Pilot, do not use the RV lanes...use the big rig lanes. Some times those RV lanes were made for Class B Motorhomes (vans).
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:00 PM   #11
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
We used the RV lane at a Flying J. Filled the truck like a fire hose. One dollar every 2 seconds. Like a NASCAR pit crew fuel fill.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:03 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Dropped the Plus card because I get a bigger discount on fuel from my regular card and then I use my old RV Advantage card and get discounts on meals etc.
What card gives you better than 7 cents per gallon on diesel.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:20 PM   #13
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We're GoodSam Life members, so we get 8 cents per gal off the cash price. And we stay away from the RV Lanes with 43 feet of trailer behind us couldn't even get into some of the RV lanes.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:30 PM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We're life members also, but our Sam's club card gives us 5% back on gas. When added to the discounts on the Advantage card we come out slightly ahead and have one less bill to deal with each month. Less so now when prices are low, but when and if they go back up 5% wins everytime all by it'self. Plus when we take the long trips in the spring and fall we're traveling and gassing the Prius also and get 5% on it's gasoline also.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:00 AM   #15
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Flying J / Pilot are lying to you.

I go to Loves and place an $80 request for fuel and pump $40 and within an hour the correct amount is on my account. I go to Flying J / Pilot and do the same and the $80 stays for 3 to 4 days. My bank tells me this is the result of the way the fuel dealer sets up the process their clearing house uses.

I have researched this all the way to the top levels of the banking industry. The system relies on the information provided by the merchant or their clearing house. The clearing house performs as instructed by the merchant.

The result is the appearance of higher balances in the credit system for the merchant. This is an accounting action the results in lower fees for the merchant.

I am not going to underwrite Flying J / Pilots bottom line.

As far as using credit cards issued by the merchant this is up to you I personally prefer the insurance against fraud provided by the credit card companies over the lack of same from merchant cards.

Phil P
Old 06-01-2016, 02:13 AM   #16
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
My beef with the truck stops is the price. When fuel is 10 to 20 cents more a 7 cent discount is a sham. So we travel playing Russian roulette with "regular" gas stations. looking for lower prices that I can get the rig out of...not always an easy task! I really should add a back up fuel tank!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:38 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is not always the case Walt in fact we in general find FJ/pilot to be in line or lower that most.We also will not travel far off the interstate to save a few cents in fuel.Easy off, easy on is worth money to us. If we are off the interstate that is a different story. In general most fuel stops off the interstate and not selling bulk fuel are higher in price. In our experience over the last 10 years.

Phil as you know the Rv plus card is a credit card payable at the end of every month and they do not hold anything there is no interest charge.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:12 AM   #18
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I look for the best price. I carry about 75 gal so I can travel to the next camp ground and then once unhooked can shop for my fuel.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #19
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Phil as you know the Rv plus card is a credit card payable at the end of every month and they do not hold anything there is no interest charge.
Hi

The point is the bank / Credit Card Company only does what the merchant instructs them to do. The bank does not put a hold on your ATM or Credit card. They put the charge pending until the merchant clears it with a deferent or same amount.

I agree with you on driving any distance to save 10 cense a gallon on fuel by the time you drive more than a mile you have used any savings in the fuel you buy to get there and back.

Flying j / Pilot use this delay to show larger bank balance than they actually have. It works in reverse from your bank account instead of a negative hold it is a positive hold and reflects in the account balance just like the negative hold on your account.

As far as the RV plus card goes you will find Flying J / Pilot have a holding in that company and thus this schema is of no advantage to them.

By the way I have 3 credit cards and 1 ATM card I don’t pay interest on them either and the 3 credit cards pay me 1 to 5 % for using their card.

Phil P

Old 06-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #20
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
The big advantage of the Pilot RV Plus card for me is the ability to start the truck pump without going inside. Insert my card, enter my control number (PIN), pump my fuel, record the amount for my reference, drive away. I also have other cards that pay back, but none of them will start the pump. Must trek inside, stand in line and then repeat that process when done fueling.