Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2004, 02:36 AM   #1
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Cover for 5th wheel hitch

I don't plan to remove my 5th wheel hitch from the bed of my truck for storage. I was wondering if there is a source/s for a cover that would provide some protection from the elements. Also, is it possible to replace the regular hitch pull pins with a pull pin that can be used with a pad lock. If so where whould I find them.

Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:09 AM   #2
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Camping World (and probably most other large RV supply stores) sells a cover for ?? (less than $20, as I recall). Mine only covers the top section of the hitch, not the entire hitch structure or the top of the truck bed. No idea re the lockable hitch pins

If the storage period will be a month or more, depending on your type of hitch, it is probably almost as reasonable to just take the hitch out of the truck, piece by piece, and store it with the rig. Mine breaks down into three pieces with six pins and clips. I can easily do it myself in ten minutes or less, or it is very easy for two folks to do in about five - ten minutes. You might get a little bit of grease on your hands, but no big deal. Good opportunity to get it cleaned and re-lubed.

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:12 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Camping World or any well stocked RV dealer should be able to supply all the you need. Locking pins are available, but I found that with my hitch, there was not enough clearance to use them.

My own preference is to use a tonneau cover on the truck. My tonneau can be latched, and the tailgate locked (with an after-market lock if your truck didn't come with a lock). This does not provide a high level of security but it does keep the hitch both out of sight, and out of the weather. I also ran a bicycle cable lock through the mounting bars and around the frame of the hitch.

Hope that helps. I'm sure you will get a lot of other ideas as well.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:45 AM   #4
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Get the smaller class 2 (I think)1/2" locking pins from and parts store or WalMart. Just replace 1 pin with the lock. $10, no problems. I also got a long shank Master Lock to replace the clevis pin on my Reese pivot pin.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 05:59 AM   #5
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
After a little more thinking and reading comments here, I wonder if just leaving the hitch connected to the king pin would hurt anything. I could build a portable platform/table for the hitch to sit on under the pin. There would not be any weight of the hitch on the king pin then. This would make it be easy to lube and inspect as some have suggested.

Thanks again for your responses.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:26 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have observed just leaving it connected to the King Pin. I am sure their would be no problem
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:35 AM   #7
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
dI use the regular hitch pins & took one & drilled it to bigger size to fit a small lock & just lock one pin.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:19 AM   #8
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I wouldn't worry about a platform for it to rest on if connected. I think it can handle the weight of the hitch hanging there if not there's a real problem.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:33 AM   #9
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
You are right John, I guess I thought I might need a platform to move it around for lubing and checking, but probably not...Thanks
Old 11-05-2004, 08:51 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
For those of you who have the Superglide 16k hitch there is now a cover available made by Pull-rite. I got a letter in the mail about it last week, intro offer was something like $79.99 regular price I think was $139.99 Since I keep mine in the garage when not towing I decided against it... Thought I would pass the info along.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 10:43 AM   #11
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
I bought a tonneau cover for the truck. Keeps leaves and other debris out and covers the 5th wheel. I can unsnap it real quick if I need to. And the little extra weight helps. I only need to turn the latch handle over and it doesn't touch the cover. I took the cotter pin out of the handle and replaced it with a clip type pin. Easy out, easy in.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 01:05 PM   #12
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I keep my hitch covered. A friend made it for me out of vinyl with fabric backing. I secure it with four ball bungee cords in the corners of my rail. She put grommets all around the bottom of the cover. I have yet to find the best way to lock my hitch in the bed of my truck, but the cover protects it from the weather. I bought and returned the Camping World cover because it did not cover the entire hitch.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 01:25 PM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Next week we will be moving into a park for the winter.
I plan on leaving the Superglide connected to the trailer. I'll just pull the pins and use the front trailer jacks to raise it off the bed. See no reason it can't hang there for a few months.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:02 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've seen people leave the hitch on the pin a number of times and never heard of any problems with doing that. Haven't tried it myself. I just always left the hitch in the truck bed. Never covered it although that's probably a good idea to do so.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:45 PM   #15
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
I've seen Bar-B-Que grill covers in various sizes that might work as a hitch cover with minor modifications.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote