Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2013, 04:22 AM   #21
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
We fulltimed in our High Country Montana for 2 years - traveled all over the US. No problems and the Monty held up very well.

subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #22
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

My point is if you tell folks they can live in a RV fulltime year around anywhere there will be some that will park it and live in them. There are laws in most if not all States that state a recreational vehicle can not be lived in full time.
I am pretty sure that Illinois does not have any laws that state you can not live in a RV full time. I haven't been to every state, but have been to a bunch and have not seen evidence that leads me to believe any state would have such a law on the books. Could be wrong though.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #23
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Never heard of such a thing
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #24
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I am pretty sure Florida allows full time living in a RV, my tag # on my RV is my address on my driver license
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #25
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
No big deal to live in a Montana anywhere you wish. Just be willing to wear heavier clothes inside, and run the furnace and electic heaters a great deal of the time. The major complaint I had with our Montana (07 3400RL) was that it leaked air like a sieve...I mean it was really really drafty, especially around the slides.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #26
MikenAngie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13784
When we picked up our 3850 and mentioned "full time living", the salesman said," I don't want to hear that!" When questioned, he said that the units were more than capable for fulltime living...it was just that if you tell them you are fulltiming it VOIDS the warranty. That I think is where any question comes into play.
MikenAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #27
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

I agree Montana's are the best bang for the buck that is why I bought one and love it and they do hold their own to a Alpine or Redwood etc.IMO I agree but Sorry I am just not buying they can compare to New Horizons or Excel or DRV they are at a whole different level,Hook being a RV professional I am sure you have experienced and looked over these High end brands first hand Right????I do not sell RV's but I have been inside all these big boys and talked and spent time with the people that own them and Live in them and they are just built better and they cheap out on NOTHING I could go on for a while on what Montana and other SOB's cut corners on inside and out and under, just being honest]Originally posted by HOOK

Lots of people living full time in them. Value per dollar it has no competition. I love to sell them because there are so few issues. Rarely do they return for service. They will perform alongside much more expensive coaches and out perform them in most cases. IMHO as an RV professional
[/quote]

Value per dollar...... In about 15 years, they all will be worth about the same money....if they are equally maintained.....
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #28
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MikenAngie

When we picked up our 3850 and mentioned "full time living", the salesman said," I don't want to hear that!" When questioned, he said that the units were more than capable for fulltime living...it was just that if you tell them you are fulltiming it VOIDS the warranty. That I think is where any question comes into play.
I don't think your salesman has the slightest idea of what he is talking about. How would the warranty clerk know how you are living in your rig anyway? If they asked me, my response, would be a polite, "I don't see where that information is relevant to you." A nice way of saying, "None of your business!" Read your warranty document, I am pretty sure there is no such disclaimer, but would be interested if there was?

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ok let me be more clear... Try buying a lot in a residential neighborhood parking your Montana on it and use it as a residence. Full timing in your Rv and living in it as a permanent residence are two different things.

"My point is if you tell folks they can live in a RV fulltime year around anywhere there will be some that will park it and live in them. There are laws in most if not all States that state a recreational vehicle can not be lived in full time" Guess I should have said they can not be used as a residence.

Check the laws in your City.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #30
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I am with Rich on this one, there is a major controversy currently unfolding in New Jersey specifically related to this. Lots were sold to RVer's and a law was passed to specifically ban living in an RV for more than six months in the state. The forethought of our elected officials once again deciding what is best for all of us.
Bingo
Old 10-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #31
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom - Shannon

Hi All,
Been having some opportunities with Monty, and just got off the phone with Keystone Customer Service and was told that Keystone Montana's are for recreational use only and not for full time living. My wife and I are just starting out with the workamping lifestyle and are shocked to hear we can't live in our Monty full time....per the manufacturer..Keystone. Any one else heard that we can't live in our Monty full time????

Tom - Shannon
This statement goes right along with Keystone denying $9,000.00 warranty because I didn’t disassemble my trailer when it was 3 months old and re-caulking / caulking everything including removing the sink and shower drains to re-caulk them.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #32
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

The Florida Uniform Building code doesn’t allow a parcel of land approved for RV parking to be used to park an occupied RV for more than 6 months.

This is accomplished by regulating the minimum sizes of a dwelling in square feet of floor space under roof.

Some zoning regulations don’t allow parking an RV for more than a few hours at all.

This is accomplished by defining in the regulation what sizes vehicle you can park in given areas, like your drive way.

Then there are areas designated Agriculture use that you can park an RV in indefinitely as long as you keep a current license tag on it and it is used only periodically for short periods of time. These are commonly hunting camps. We see a lot of this on the Deseret ranch.

Then there is a provision in the Florida Uniform building code that allows the establishment of a “night watch mans quarters” I have used this in the past to park a trailer in various places for an extended time while supervising a repair job for as much as 6 years. You can only establish one night watch mans quarters per parcel of land.

However there are RV parks in Florida that allow year round full time parking. This is accomplished by changing the lot numbers periodically not by moving the RV. So far this has worked for many RV parks.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #33
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:

Ok let me be more clear... Try buying a lot in a residential neighborhood parking your Montana on it and use it as a residence. Full timing in your Rv and living in it as a permanent residence are two different things.

"My point is if you tell folks they can live in a RV fulltime year around anywhere there will be some that will park it and live in them. There are laws in most if not all States that state a recreational vehicle can not be lived in full time" Guess I should have said they can not be used as a residence.

Check the laws in your City.
I thought we were talking about a Keystone Customer Service representative implying you could not live in a Montana full time and they were only for recreational use. I think you are getting all that confused with zoning codes and building codes, which really has no bearing on if these units can hold up for full time living quarters. Furthermore, they can be used for a residence, just like a homeless person can live in a cardboard box, you just can't do it in the middle of a subdivision or many other locations.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Montana's until recently were NOT certified for full time use by Keystone. If I were to ask that question about my 2013 Montana big sky build date of May 2012 the answer would be it is not certified for full time use. If you were top ask that question of a 2014 Montana Big sky build Date of May 2013 the answer would be it is certified for full time use.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #35
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Understand what you are saying Rich, but have you ever heard that the warranty is voided by full-timing?
Bingo
Old 10-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #36
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
When I bought my 3402rl in 2012 and asked them that question they Quoted the Old Hogan's Hero's Shultz Line "I SEE and HEAR NOTHING" and said No Problem about covering it for fulltime use and they did when my toilet broke, I have a Great Dealer
Old 10-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #37
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
How many here can say that they have had repairs done after warranty expiration? I can and I'm sure a lot of you can. "Warranty" is as much to protect Keystone as it is to protect you. I, for one, am amazed at Keystone's willingness to help even after warranty. Maybe some of those who were helped at the National rallies over the years will chime in.
Montana started using Full Time when they went to 12 inch frames.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Never heard of a Montana owner being refused anything because they are full timers.. But they could be. The point is these are recreational vehicles and not built to be permanent residences. A full timer is normally one who has no stick and brick home but travels and lives in their Rv full time moving around the country and not residing in any one place on a permanent basis.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #39
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Quote:

I am well aware of the differences in quality and build in the brands mentioned. One of those brands in a Northern Ohio winter, Blizzard conditions temps in the low teens and below zero you are not going to be comfortable. You may freeze quicker in a Montana but you will freeze in the other brands as well. I would not be in a Rv any brand in bitter winter conditions. Iceman here on the forum did it in Alaska in a Montana. He can tell us how to survive.

My point is if you tell folks they can live in a RV fulltime year around anywhere there will be some that will park it and live in them. There are laws in most if not all States that state a recreational vehicle can not be lived in full time.

We move about and stay in Moderate climates. Our 06v 3400 served us well but it never saw a bitter winter. This 13 3402 will never see one either.
Rich - I spent last winter in my coach in MN with temps reaching -22 degrees. 4 electric space heaters and the furnace keep the temps at a comfy 69 degrees. The electric heaters did most of the work and when temps were at least 0 degrees or above, they could keep the coach at a warm 74 degrees without the furnace. I did not skirt or add any additional insulation to the coach, just as it came from the factory. While wintering up in MN last year was not the easiest of situations, it can me done. Naturally, I would have rather been sitting next to you in Florida instead.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #40
MikenAngie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13784
Bingo, I agree with your previous comment. Once I purchase my unit, it is not anyone's business as to how, where or when I use it. MHO
Great input from all. It is interesting to hear/see all the different bits of information.
Kudos to this Forum. Travel Safe - Travel Often.
MikenAngie is offline   Reply With Quote