Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2013, 01:49 AM   #1
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
First outing in the 3750FL

Our first outing in the new 3750 FL was a huge success. We traveled to Murfreesboro Tennessee for 7 days (900 mile round trip)
The tow there and back was a pleasure. The Ram 3500 handled the additional weight and the hills with no problem. The additional Firestone air bags whether needed or not were filled to 30 psi. I may have to experiment with the pressure a bit but this seemed like a good starting point.
Set up is a snap, the 6 point leveling system took all of the guesswork out of the leveling procedure.
We did come up with a list of things that we absolutely loved as well as a list of items that could be improved on at the factory.
Pros:
The interior living space is spacious. We absolutely love the front living area. Plenty of room in both the bathroom and bedroom as well.
Storage space is plentiful both inside and out.
Setup is a snap. After arriving at the site, we were leveled up, had all of the outside gear out and watching satellite tv in less than 15 minutes.
The additional 4th step allows access inside more safely.
The refrigerator is huge. There is plenty of space for just about anything you want to put inside.
Cons:
The biggest problem we encountered was accessing the upper cabinets inside. A tall stepstool is a must if one is vertically challenged.
The latch for the sanitary hose storage door is made of plastic and looked like it would be just a matter of time before the plastic latch would fail. This was immediately replaced with a steel latch assembly.
The mirror on the bathroom cabinet is a little on the high side. This should be lowered to cover the lower two storage shelves as well.(future mod)
The ducting vents in the floor should have screens installed to prevent stuff from falling inside the vents. Screens will be installed today. I installed screens on one of my other RV's and this worked out well.
The outside entertainment system is sweet but the Jensen radio is a joke in my opinion. The volume when using the auxiliary port for the MP3 is very weak even when turned up at full volume. I normally use a Bose radio outside so I may just be spoiled.
One other thing I don't understand is why the Mfg. does not key both entrance doors the same. We are looking into having the rear door keyed the same as the front door.
All and all, it's a pretty sweet unit. I will address all of the minor issues we have to make it suit our needs 100%.
Yesterday was spent cleaning up the RV and preparing it for our next outing. We will leave home on Wednesday for another 7 day trip. We will be taking our Grand daughter with us on this trip and she is so excited. That's what it is all about.

hybridhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Sounds like you had a great shakedown trip! Congrats on what sounds like a well-built unit.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Good report! I will state that on our 3750FL both doors are keyed the same. We have the plastic latch on the 3750FL and had one on the previous 3400 and have never experienced a failure on either one, but the upgraded latch that you installed sounds like a good modification. Totally agree on the height of the cabinets, we have learned to only place seldom used items on the upper shelves. That is a great idea on the floor vents that I will be copying. I end up having to remove the covers every year and sweep the floor ducts, but your addition of the screens will help to save a little work on my behalf. We have been thoroughly happy with our 3750FL, but over the last couple of years realized that the pass-thru bathroom became troublesome for us. Our problem was two daughters who have no concept of "bathroom time" and having the entry to the bedroom occupied for over an hour at a time was not a favorable condition. The 3850FL with the hall will remedy that situation for us at least. I have already decided that one of the first upgrades will be speaker replacement for the outside entertainment system, we will wait and reserve judgement on the stereo system itself. Thanks for the report and enjoy your future adventures!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:20 AM   #4
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
It sounds like you are a happy camper. We have the same experiences. Only other mod I would suggest would move dining area to curb side
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sounds like you're going to have fun and make many wonderful memories in your rig. I think Keystone misplaces a few things in every rig just to give the male side of the equation something to do.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:33 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by K0LCB

Only other mod I would suggest would move dining area to curb side
Isn't that called a 3850FL??
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #7
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
I agree with the bathroom vanity mirror being too high, my bride is 5' 1/2" and cannot see the top of her head due to the mirror height. We mention this every year to the Keystone reps and they smile and indicate they get a lot of complaint - so fix it guys!

If anyone knows of a taller/longer mirrored door to go on the vanity cabinet the bathroom please let me know. I have been debating just putting a full-length mirror on the bathroom door, but my bride is not impressed with the idea.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Several of us have added 2 doors to the lower 2/3rd's of the back of the cupboard to the immediate left when you enter the trailer. This gives you easy access to everything in those cupboards that you'd need 5 foot arms for otherwise. Factory access is only through the doors above the sink. There are a thread or 2 on this forum covering the parts needed and the installation process (which isn't difficult). You'll also want to add plunger stays to the 8 cupboard doors which open bottom to top (4 in the kitchen and 4 in the bedroom) so that they'll stay open without requiring a supporting hand. Maybe Keystone has installed these on the current model. There are discussions about this on the forum as well.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
Well, a couple of mods were added today. Screens have been added under each of the floor registers to prevent trash from falling inside. I also added limo tint to each of the door glasses. On our last outing, there was a security light close by and at night the light thru the rear door was annoying. Hopefully this will help.
I like the idea of the additional doors, I will have to look into that and see what is involved.
Thanks
Old 10-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #10
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
As far as the floor vents Maybee Keystone should be doing what other SOB's are doing and putting the vent sideways under cabinets and off the floor I thought that was a good idea when I saw it as far as needing a step stool I take it you do Not have the dining chair that turns into a stool like we have I thought that was a GREAT Montana Idea and we love it as my wife is only 5ft 2
Old 10-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Glad to hear thing went well with your shakedown. Thanks for the info on the mods you are considering.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Now THAT's a proper shakedown trip. Too bad it won't end there. You'll continue to learn new things or of things needing attention, especially if you venture to new camgrounds and hookups. It seems like the first few years of ownership, each campground visited made me buy another RV gadget just because ir was slightly different. Now it seems I've covered all the differences, since I haven't had to buy another sewer hose, fresh water hose, electrical adapter recently. My list now consists of things that would be nice to have.

Great report!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Glad to see that your experiences were mostly positive! We have found some of the same minor issues that you have found.

We're considering putting a mirror on the wall to the immediate right as you enter the bathroom door from the outside. This would enable my wife to get a better view of her self as she looks in a mirror that is not 100 feet above ground space

I also use a Bose system for listening to music outside but have considered changing the speakers to the outside speaker system as well. The only thing I wonder about is whether or not there is enough power to drive new speakers?

The other thing we noticed is that some of the lights are too bright and it would've been nice if they had a dimmer; for example the two lights above the couches in the front living room. Likewise, there could be lights installed in several places where they are not: the washer and dryer closet which we converted into storage area, The exterior door for the sewer compartment, and also the bedroom closet area.

I have found a cheap workaround for this. I bought some stick-on magnetic lights that also can be screwed into wooden areas. I got them from Home Depot. They can be set to be turned on with the switch or set for sensor which automatically senses your hand if it's within 4 inches.

But overall like you, we love the new rig!
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Great update. Couple things to add my two cents worth. Most 3750 have the "matching ladder chair" that is used at the desk. Check your MSRP sheet. Most contain this chair on the list, but it's not installed. Made my dealer ship me one after seeing it on build sheet and noticing the ad had it listed. Same with side table for living room. Now about that chair. It works great, matches the others dining chairs, but it's heavy and must be moved when bringing in slide. We make it a point of putting "seldom" used items in top shelves. I recommend the chair! Comes in handy with five at dinner table! That Jensen system Sucks! I went to Camping World where they sell them. The tech could not operate the display model either. It needs a remote. I downloaded everything and still not working great! I plan to replace it. We love the 3750 and still have not seen a replacement floorplan! It's perfect for our family! Enjoy!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
Artemus,
No side table or folding chair was listed on the build sheet. We picked up a small table for the front living area from Camping World and also picked up a set of folding steps to be used in the kitchen area.
We took the 3750 back out last week to tailgate at a SEC football game. The outside entertainment center got many cuddos from the other campers. We discovered something else that we really like and it is the blue LED lights in the front cap. Its a pretty cool addition.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Yes! The cat eyes in the dark!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hybridhauler

Artemus,
No side table or folding chair was listed on the build sheet. We picked up a small table for the front living area from Camping World and also picked up a set of folding steps to be used in the kitchen area.
We took the 3750 back out last week to tailgate at a SEC football game. The outside entertainment center got many cuddos from the other campers. We discovered something else that we really like and it is the blue LED lights in the front cap. Its a pretty cool addition.
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
The blue LED lights and the running lights on at the same time gives the front of the rig an alien look.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:10 AM   #18
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Artemus, My previous 2011 3750FL had a remote for the Jensen TV.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #19
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Can someone explain the Blue LED lights. How are they mounted, or how have they changed cap from my 2012 model? I have the round LED lights to guide hitching? Please explain for me. Thanks
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #20
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-MONTANA...pt=RVs_Campers