Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #21
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
????? OK, is it possible that Keystone would be able to furnish some copies of diagrams of the holding tank lay-out on some of these later models? On my unit, there is a grey and the black tank between the "I"beams of the frame between the basement compartments and the axles. Then, working back toward the tail is the fresh water tank and another grey tank with both of those setting side-by-side right above the axles. I can't imagine why there would be a fresh water tank at the tail end of the trailer! I could understand with a rear kitchen model because, the kitchen sink might be back there. Highly unlikely! But, why would it be there on a rear living room and rear entertainment unit?

MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #22
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I am pretty sure that our previous 3400 had the fresh water tank in the rear. The fresh water drain beneath the rig was midway from the axles to the rear of the rig. Not sure of the location on the 3750 though. Physics will tell us that a 400 pound tank that is centered halfway from the axle to the rear of the rig will be approximately equivalent to a 200 pound load at the rear of the rig. At least in terms of torque applied to the frame itself assuming the same flex point. I have no idea if this has any bearing at all on any of the previous posts, just rambling........
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #23
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Yep my tank is as for to the rear as possible. The new hitch is at the frame member below the fresh water tank. So with what Bingo said I would have 200lb load available at each frame member for hitch weight. Still I'm guessing Montana has designed to frame to be loaded with full tanks to move down the road safetly?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #24
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
MIMF ... I've always valued your input and will continue to do so. I've been under every one of my fivers with the belly pan down ... they've all had the fresh water tank sitting as far aft as possible ... prior to my ownership of Montanas, I had a KZ Sportsman fiver ... same story, fresh water tank as far aft as possible. All I can restate is that most all fivers that we look at have the fresh water filler door street-side rear ... the fresh water tank is usually located right below it lying width wise inbetween two cross frame members.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #25
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I'm not quite sure how the topic has gotten to a discussion of water tanks but our 2002, model 3295 has the fresh water tank near the axles. But we do have our galley holding tank in the rear of the rig. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #26
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
OK, folks. Then I stand corrected. My experience has been that all 4 of my holding tanks which is the same basic floor plan as the 3400RL and other center kitchen models, are in front of and above the axles. I also verified this by getting a copy of the holding tank layout from Keystone. I have also experienced over the last 5 years in a competitor manufacturing facility these same floor plans going down the assembly line day after day with all 4 holding tanks in the same location as mine.

As I said before, at your request, Keystone will provide a drawing of the tank layout for your model. I emailed these drawings many times to retail customers like us at their request.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:24 AM   #27
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
HamRad ... how it got to water tanks is a MOCer was wondering what the frame stress difference was between a 200 pound hitch weight restriction and a potential 500 plus pounds of water sitting in the fresh water tank located about a foot forward of the hitch. I'm using 8.35# per gallon.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #28
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Our 2004 model 3575 has all of the tanks forward of the axles
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote