Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Mor/ryde Wet Bolt Kit

I just got the Mor/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, look pretty straight forward, but would like to know how look it takes to install?

I put the brass bushings in the freezer, so they should be pretty cold by now. We are taking a short trip Thursday thru Sunday to Andrew Jackson State Park in SC. Is this something that can be done in 2-3 hours? Or should I wait until I have a full day?

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
John, It took me the better part of a day to install the wet bolts and new Z brackets on the 08 we had. I am not all that fast. I think the hardest part is jacking up the rig and having good support for the rig. You might want to leave the rig hooked up to the truck for better front end support and keep the load off the front jacks.

Our 2010 came with wet bolts but I understand the earlier models did not come with them. Is your model one of the early 2010 models?

Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
I just installed mine last week. I only worked on them a little each day plus I losened the u-bolts and cleaned the inside of rims and waxed outside cleaned&waxed lugs.It took me 6 days I wasn't in a hurry. Best to leave 5er on truck much easier to raise. I put jack near the spare tire and it jacked up both tires. The bolts are pressed into the shackles so undo nuts on inside w/nut still attached I pounded them out w/ a hammer. They go back in fairly easy but the end ones I used the jack under axle plus a one ton bottle jack to aline the holes (bottle jack was on a slat to push spring back into place) after I installed the brass bushing. Instead of using c-clamps to set the bolts I tighted the nuts gently and pulled in the bolt and brass bushing. I was off a little and the bushing came out so thats how I got them to go back in.I was told to grease the bolts to make sure they take grease before install. Also after install they may not take grease untill the wheels are back on the ground. These are some things I learned installing them for my first time on this type of work and by myself. Good luck Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
John,
It took me about 6 hours with a helper (an extra set of hands). It takes a while jacking and supporting the trailer. Make sure you grease the bolts ahead of time to make sure they will take the grease and the holes need to face sideways. If you make a fist with your fingers facing up and picture that as the spring end, I had the holes in the bolts facing my knuckles. I hope this helps.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:34 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have done three of these jobs. Each one took less time than the previous. After the first one, you can get everything lined up and you know how to get the old bushings out and the new ones in efficiently. You don't have to spend time figuring out "how" and you just do it.

Doing everything for the first time, I think it took me about 8-10 hours total. The second time, with help, it took about 4 hours. The last time I also had to replace the Mor/Ryde rubber spring before I could get to the shackle job and that took a total of 5-6 hours working alone.

If you have power equipment such as air impact wrench, etc., you can probably make better time. Even an eighteen volt impact will help. When I was working alone, all I had were hand tools and an 18 volt drill, no impact wrench. Made for sore muscles.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Thanks for the replies. Jacking is the easy part (BigFoot), finding a level spot is something else. I wonder if Wall Mart would let use there back lot (just kidding).

I think I will get the X-Factor, and install it at the same time, just don't know if I should get 1 or 3.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:53 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
John,
I am planning on getting "one" and installing it when I do the brakes this spring. I did have end caps and gussets welded on the ends of my spring hangers after I found one broken last year.

EDIT: Link for photos of end caps on spring hangers and broken one.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:06 AM   #8
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

John,
I am planning on getting "one" and installing it when I do the brakes this spring. I did have end caps and gussets welded on the ends of my spring hangers after I found one broken last year.
John,

Do you have pictures? I love pictures.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
I just received my new Big Sky and it has the heavy duty wet bolt kit on it. I am not even sure what the wet bolt system is and what it does. I have had other 5th wheel RV trailers, Goose neck stock trailers, flat bed equipment trailers, pull type dump trailers and have never heard this term before. Will some one please let me know what it is.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
The wet bolts are on the springs hangers and Mor/Ryde. They have grease fittings on them so you can grease them about 3000 miles.
Congratulation on the new Big Sky
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Frank, the wet bolt refers to greaseable bushings in the mounting points of the springs. The purpose is to signifcantly reduce the wear on those bushings. Thus you should periodically add a little grease via the grease fitting (zerk) at each bushing. The manual should give you more information.

One of the problems many of us have had in the past is the bushings were not greaseable and thus wore out, causing the shackle mounting holes to wear in an oblong fashion or even to wear through. That's a real hazard. Shackles are the links between the spring and spring hanger.

To solve, or avoid, that problem many of us purchased and installed the wet bolt kits so they could be greased in the future.

Here's one of the pictures posted here in the past showing the kind of wear that can result when dry bushings are used. You can see how the bushings have been destroyed and the shackle holes elongated:

This one shows an elongated hole in a shackle that is still mounted. This one was on our prior Montana and was seen from the back side while laying under the rig.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sorry, Wayne. I had this page up and was formulating my reply and, along with interruptions, it did not post until after yours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote