Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Another Phone scam

We have our landline phone is on vacation hold and has been since Sept. I noticed that the balance was 25.95. It should be only 9.95. I called Frontier Phone Co. and was told by them that they had been getting a lot of complaints about this situation. They gave me a toll free # to call which got me to "Payment One" which is how the charges were listed on the bill. They in turn connected me with "My Home Office" who initiated the charges in the first place. They claim that in December Betsy had set up the account and that they had verified the request by talking to someone on our land line #. well it has been disconnected since Sept and I told them so and they said too bad we were still required to pay the two months of 14.95. At this point I got a bit tight and unloaded verbally with them. The end result of this is that is that I called Frontier and had them put a billing block on my account and that they were either to take care of the 29+ dollars or handle it through "My Home Office". The Frontier rep stated that these folks send out emails with "If you do not want these services then click here" I Send all of these type emails thru the junk mail filter and never even look at them. So if you have a land line that is on hold for the winter keep a close eye on the bills. Just another heads up for folks...

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Dave,
This happened to us 2 years ago, while our phone was turned off, and they are still trying to collect. I told them I would pay when ordered by a judge.
They reduced it from 44.85 to 26.00 and call it something else now. I still told them I would pay when ordered by a judge.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Dave, we got a letter yesterday that Frontier has filed chapter 11.
We have their stock, and now it's worthless.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Landline?! What is that? Oh! Now I remember. That thing I used to have to pay for whether or not I was home to use it or whether or not I made any calls! Got tired of doing that so when we saw that our cell phones would suffice we canceled our landline phones. We have never regretted our decision. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:43 AM   #5
NewFlyLady
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8071
It is not just land lines that have this problem. Start watching your cell phone bill. We found a 9.99 charge on our bill this month and could not figure out what it was after comparing several months worth of phone bills. I called our cell conpany and found out that it was a charge from a website. The customer service agent stated that this was getting very common. You go to a website often enough and they gleen enough information to bill you. We had the company put a block on our account so it can't happen again. They also cancelled the charge.
NewFlyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:50 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Me thinks there are a lot of these type "scams" going around. Once, I was checking my SWBell bill and when I added it all up in my mind it just didn't come out right. So I got out the calculator and sure enough there was a $1 overcharge. Now think - millions of customers overcharged $1. How many would catch that. I called SWBell and they indicated it was a mistake and took the $1 off. Big deal. I wonder how many millions didn't get it taken off. I think some time later on they had to refund some money in the form of a credit for overcharging because they got caught.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
NewFlyLady, you called it, just checked out my cell bill this month and it was over 100 dollars over the norm. I called AT&T and bitched. got bill from 249.00 down to 129.00 and that includes the cost of Betsy's new phone and hookup fees. Regular bill should be around 75 bucks. Caught the sneak bums.. Now have account blocks on both cells and landline...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
what is an "account block"? I am thinking of giving up my landline to save some money. Still not sure if I can live with just a cellphone that needs to be charged at night. Although we did it for 5 months while traveling last year.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CasaDelSol

what is an "account block"? I am thinking of giving up my landline to save some money. Still not sure if I can live with just a cellphone that needs to be charged at night. Although we did it for 5 months while traveling last year.
Joanie and Dave,
If your biggest worry is keeping the battery charged then you can stop worrying. The batteries will recharge in just a very short period of time. And with little usage I can go easily several days before needing to charge.

By the way we ported our long time land line home phone number to one of our cell phones. It has worked great. One of the benefits of cell phone is that you get hardly any "sales" calls. Much less of a problem than with the land lines. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #10
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
We had our cell phone number changed to our home phone number also. It has worked out very well for us. We manage for 6 months to not have a landline phone, so I don't see a problem the other 6 months.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:33 AM   #11
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
A couple of months ago our cell phone bill increased by $50. We went into the Verizon store to find out what was going on. They said my husband had signed up for 5 phone notification services like horoscopes and such and he had done it online without even knowing it. One of those apps that look free but ask for you cell phone number. He also had received 26 text messages in less than a minute and we don't have a text package. Verizon dropped the fees by 1/2 and put a block on his phone so he can't get text messages.

while the internet and cell phones a\have great uses, it seems they are a great place for scammers as well!

The key is to look at your bill every month.

Judi
johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote