Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #21
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Maybe a good way to phrase it would be: "Would you bet your life on it?"
(As far as a possibly remote chance of someone doing something to harm you that is out of the ordinary.)

Edit: This was meant to support any and all actions an officer would take, to go home at the end of the shift.
The bet your life statement was I wouldn't bet my life on someone not being in the trunk, I would check to see if it was latched if I were the officer.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:22 AM   #22
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Ozz, I dont understand your reluctance to accept the opinion of Sky or myself or anyone else on the trunk lid statement..there are whackos out there that would shoot a cop in a second...if you recall a few years ago there was a shooter that killed several people in a mall,,he was in the trunk shooting thru a hole in the licence plate area..anyway I would also like to compare it to when you tell someone how to fix something on electricty,,you wouldnt work on or with the 50 amp cord while it was live..because you know its dangerous, you would cut the power...just in case..same with the trunk lid...just in case...
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:39 AM   #23
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Whoa there Trigger! I think you are confusing me with someone else, I am in your camp.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:31 AM   #24
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Whoa there Trigger! I think you are confusing me with someone else, I am in your camp.
I re read the post..maybe you were speaking to someone else's post..sorry
Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #25
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wiarton William

Ozz, I dont understand your reluctance to accept the opinion of Sky or myself or anyone else on the trunk lid statement..there are whackos out there that would shoot a cop in a second...if you recall a few years ago there was a shooter that killed several people in a mall,,he was in the trunk shooting thru a hole in the licence plate area..anyway I would also like to compare it to when you tell someone how to fix something on electricty,,you wouldnt work on or with the 50 amp cord while it was live..because you know its dangerous, you would cut the power...just in case..same with the trunk lid...just in case...
Wiarton William,
I think Ozz asked the original question. It is probably me that you want address your statement to. I was the one questioning the practice of leaving a LEOs finger prints on a suspect vehicle.

Please don't misunderstand what I'm questioning..... From my non-LEO point of view it just seems strange. That is all I'm saying. As far as observing ones surroundings.... Well that just makes a lot of sense. Of course you must do that. It is something we all should do. Always be aware of what is going on around you.

Regarding the folks that were doing the shooting from the trunk of their car.... Well that was a guy trying to extort money. They had fashioned a shooting platform in the trunk of their vehicle. From that concealed location they were able to shoot and kill several random people.

There are wackos out there that is for certain. And as I said earlier you could not pay me enough to deal with those sorts of folks. Frankly I don't see how LEOs do it. And I appreciate all that they do to keep us safe. But that does not mean that I can't question what goes on with them. If nothing else it is just interesting to learn about some of what is going on. It has never occurred to me that a LEO would deliberately leave his prints on a vehicle. Besides I like your method..... leaving your signature on the ticket you gave them!

This is an interesting thread. Ozz what in the world caused you to ask the question in the first place? A recent first hand experience? Or have you just been watching a lot of "crime" shows? Just curious.

Later folks, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dennis, I just observed the officers touching the left rear of any car that they pulled over on the boob tube. For years I have seen this and knew it had to be for a reason, so many have done it.
I researched it, as I do most everything, and knew the primary reason was to leave prints. I also know we have many law enforcement folks here on the Forum and thought I would give them a platform to exchange interesting information with us.
I have always appreciated the job they do, I respect them, they often are isolated when on the job, as the general public has no clue as to the difficulty of their workplace.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #27
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
It had its moments but then........ mmmm doughnuts!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #28
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
To ALL you current and former LEO's. Thank you for the work you have done and continue to do. You could not pay me enough to do what you do. I am glad we have so many dedicated folks, men and women, out there to take care of the rest of us. (I worked in a restaurant in San Francisco back in the 60's and we always gave coffee and eats to our local LEO's, it actually kept them hanging around. I had to call one one night and he was there almost instantly).

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #29
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Sky & Chieflawdawg...You both hit it on the head with your answers...I believe in what I do as well (LEO)....I hope we make it to retirement too...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:48 AM   #30
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I for one never thought about much about retirement..and then one day I relaized that I had enough..I had lost interest and drive, I started passing over the things that we were just discussing. I was not happy with my own performance..after 30 years it was time to go while still standing.. it took me about 6 months to realize it and two months to wind up my caseload..been retired almost 7 years and loving it..never ever thought I would get to it...
Old 02-07-2011, 05:04 AM   #31
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
What I know as the mother of a retired Leo: I was so proud of the work he was doing on all of our behalf, and I was relieved when he retired and made it out safe!
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote