Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2011, 03:57 AM   #21
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:By nunya

Lonnie, Have you ever put 265/70/17 on a 06 Dodge dually to replace the 235s that come from factory? Discount tire tells me they do it all the time with no problems? I have the 3400RL and have a 2300# Lance truck camper I haul. Was wandering about clearance between the duals loaded. Thanks in advance to your valued knowledge.
Yes I have. The first time I had a customer ask for the wider tire I honestly didn't think it was possible because of clearance issues between the duals. He was pretty adamant about wanting them so I did some measuring and decided we would try it. When we mounted the 265's and got the truck back on the ground, I was surprised to find there was still over an inch of clearance between the duals. This guy is a local customer that owns a backhoe and trenching company, and he hauls his heavy machines on heavy equipment trailers with this truck. Since that first set of tires, we have installed 3 more sets on the same truck, not because of problems with clearance, but because he wore them out. We put the same size on his wife's Dodge dually and she is on her second set.

A word of caution now. Not all Dodge duallies are the same, some of them have a closer spacing between the duals. Also, aftermarket alloy wheels may be different than factory wheels.

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:23 AM   #22
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
Lonnie, Thanks for the quick response! I am glad to hear that this is possible, opens up tire options alot. and what tire are you installing on these duallies? Might as well get the whole story! Thanks again
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:51 AM   #23
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Rick,
Whalen Tire are the ones who put them on my truck this summer. That was in Missoula. Check them out there in Billings.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:24 AM   #24
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
yes I checked with them and they no longer do Michelin tires
Thanks JP
restez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #25
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
nunya, the first set we put on both trucks were Michelin LTX M/S's. The second set we put on his were Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's. The second set on hers and the third set on his were BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A's. The fourth set on his were also the BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A's and only the four rear tires.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote