Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Still waiting to leave

So it wasn't bad enough that we got 10" of snow dumped on us Saturday night now my truck took a dump.

I was smelling diesel fuel and my son and I saw some fluid but could not see where it was coming from. It turned out to be a lifter pump, something like a booster pump. The bad news was that Chrysler showed a number on back order even though they had stock, they had not been released yet. The good news is they found one at another dealer and I should be on the road sometime on Wednesday.

The new pump is an upgrade but it needs to be installed in the fuel tank instead of behind the fuel filter. More bad news as I just filled up. They will try to save as much of the 35 gals as possible.

I'm sure Florida will still be there and they are not predicting any more bad weather until later in the week.

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:50 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
No snow predicted here, so you need to get on the road before anything else happens! Here's wishing you success in getting on the road soon and having a safe trip here (to Florida).
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:29 AM   #3
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Here I sit waiting patiently(NOT) for the dealer to call though Idon't expect to hear until this PM sometime. I may have p---ed them off late yesterday.

I was doing some research on the diesel forum regarding the lift pump. It seems that prior to 04 it was a regular problem so Dodge went to the in tank replacement. There were some threads indicating a possible recall so I called the service advisor and asked. Big mistake. They don't like to be second guessed and I was told if there was a recall he would have let me know.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #4
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Dick, We are kindred spirits. Had my lifter pump crap out about 6 weeks ago in the middle of the Chequamegon National Forest. Same problem, no recall, and Chrysler switched to the in tank pump in 05. Story of my life. Cost an extra $300 to have new pump put in the tank. At least it didn't happen on the way to TX which we are in the middle of. Stopping in Rockford, IL to see twin grandsons. Keeping fingers crossed to make it to Mission and be set up in time to see the Badgers play in the Rose Bow.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:25 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c214dick

So it wasn't bad enough that we got 10" of snow dumped on us Saturday night now my truck took a dump.

I was smelling diesel fuel and my son and I saw some fluid but could not see where it was coming from. It turned out to be a lifter pump, something like a booster pump. The bad news was that Chrysler showed a number on back order even though they had stock, they had not been released yet. The good news is they found one at another dealer and I should be on the road sometime on Wednesday.

The new pump is an upgrade but it needs to be installed in the fuel tank instead of behind the fuel filter. More bad news as I just filled up. They will try to save as much of the 35 gals as possible.

I'm sure Florida will still be there and they are not predicting any more bad weather until later in the week.
Dick,
The TDR web page has a good post about the old lifter pump. Geno's Garage has a replacement outboard pump for less the $200.00 and it replaces the existing one. They indicate this pump fails between 100K and 125K miles.
This is a lot cheaper then having Dodge install the in tank one.
PM me if you want more information.
Good Luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Thanks John, but I guess I'm a day late and a dollar short as the saying goes or maybe a lot more than a dollar. I left the truck at the dealer as the fuel leak would not allow me to drive it. They received the replacement kit late yesterday and installed it today. They are doing a few other things and I'm waiting for their call to pick it up. It's still cheaper than a new truck and, FYI, I have 104,000 so that puts the failure right in your ballpark.