Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2010, 05:27 AM   #1
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
Retiring in January 2011

Patty and I will be retiring and would like to travel around the USA. We will be leaving the Buffalo NY area around February 15 (depending on the weather) traveling to Hamilton Ohio, Then the Nashville area, on to Lakeland Florida. About April we want to travel west using Rt 10as a point of reference to Disnetland Ca. Then Rt 5 to Washington coming inward to see Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Reno. Across the North we want to see Mt Rushmore then droping back to Nashville before coming home. Question,can anyone help me on points of interest alone the way. We are willing to come off the Rt10/Rt 5 routes by several hundred miles. We are trying to make the most of our trip. We would be very thankfull of any advise anyone has... Chuck & Patty

ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If by Rt10/Rt 5 you mean I-10 & I-5, then I have a whole list of POIs because I have been on both of those Interstates from start to finish! From the Mexico border up to the Canadian border on I-5 and from Santa Monica, CA to Jacksonville, FL on I-10. There's a lot of stuff in between and we still haven't seen everything we want.

Since you aren't heading to Disneyland in Calif until after April, I hope you get there before the summer months. Southern California is mostly desert and very hot in summer and a lot of tourists forget about this. The irony is the general lack of humidity, hence you'll hear the term, "It's HOT, but it's a dry heat". That just means you'll toast or burn and want to pour water on yourself.

Some ideas on what you like to do and see and how fast you'll be going would help. The slower you go, the more you get to see. Besides the Grand Canyon there are many equally incredible natural sites to see (Big Sur, Yosemite, Crater Lake, Mts. Hood, Shasta and Raineer). And like Las Vegas or Disneyland, just as many man-made items to visit (All of San Francisco, train museum in Sacramento, and many other cities along the way). And I've only covered 3 states (California, Oregon & Washington).

Then there are countless "gems" that are fun things to say you've seen and done that many in the membership have experienced. The list will be long and I hope you get to each and every one of them!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
yes I did mean I 10 and I 5, but not held right to those roads. What you have listed is exactly what we are looking for. If members could send me the ideas we will reserch them online and then build a trip from there. As far as time we are open, and will take as much time as needed (up to a year)I know on the way we are going to take a small detour and visit family in Bisbee Az, then back on 10 to Tuson for more family. Anything anyone could point will help Thank You
Old 09-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Don't forget Death Valley. If you are in the area during a cooler time of the year. It is not really all that far from the Grand Canyon.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:12 AM   #5
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Art-N-Marge, Clutch thank you for your response, that is what I was looking for. I checked all those out on the internet and they are now on my to-do list. I was hoping that others from all the different states would suggest their states don't miss stops, so I know what to check out and see if we want to stop there. I am very thankful for any suggestions. Thanks Chuck
Old 09-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Well since it looks like you'll be heading west mostly on I-10, if you get a chance to head further south and visit the Florida Keys, and the Everglades prior to your trip West, those are great places. Right now there's construction around those areas but if you are not in a hurry and you have good mapping skills some advance planning can help you avoid some of it. There's also Cape Canaveral which is astounding in its own right.

As you head west, there are historic Civil War battlefields further north of I-10 in the Southeastern states, you can visit New Orleans, LA, then in Texas there's beautiful Austin and historic San Antonio in Texas, the hill towns of Johnson City, the NASA center in Houston.

In New Mexico there is White Sands National monument, the Carlsbad Caverns, the Sandia Mountains in Albuquerque, the capitol city of Santa Fe and the Art communities of Taos (but there will be snow about the time you get there) Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos are north of I-10 quite a ways (use I-25 to get there quickly).

Arizona also has Tombstone on the way to Tucson, then from Phoenix, northbound to Sedona and on to Grand Canyon) northbound of I-10 using I-17.

Well there's just a few more suggestions. I need to stop now, I'm getting real tired from this long vacation. I might have to stow away in your rig if you get this going cuz the route alone sounds like fun!!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Now that was a very big help, and if you want to stow away, just jump aboard and be our tour guide. Thank You....anyone else have suggestions?