Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
MIKENLINDA
Established Member

M.O.C. #10433
FACTORY INSTALLED GENERATOR?

We just took delivery of our new 2011 3455SA. We custom ordered it with a 5.5 Onan generator, thinking that since we ordered it from the factory, the internal generator switch would be installed near the other controls, but it was installed in the master bedroom, in the closet where the washer/dryer prep is. So when I place clothes/towels, etc. there, I'll have to move these items to get to the switch. We asked the walk through tech why this was done this way, but he did not know. Does anyone else have this problem?

MIKENLINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Placing the control near the others would require planing along with some extra wire, Keystone has neither.

BTW: I moved mine.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:35 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Having a different floor plan, it doesn't bother me enough to move it. But for the money they get for them they should run the wiring to a good place instead of hiding it in the front closet. I don't think it would take much to move it to where you want it.
I do like the rest of the installation.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
I requested that ours be installed near the other switches in the living area and that is where it was installed. However we ordered our Mountaineer 2 months before it was built so I guess they were able to figure it into the plans. Just lucky I guess
restez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:38 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I'm afraid Bigmurf said it right, but I wouldn't believe it. It sounds like a factory foul up and forgot to include it during the original build. At the end, during a quality check they found they forgot, then they installed it as quick and easy as they could. Quality should be built in, not inspected in afterwards. It still sounds like a dumb factory mistake to think a customer wants the switch in the closet. Sounds like somebody should have asked the customer.

I would take this back to the dealer and have them do it right as a warranty issue. The purpose of ordering from the factory is to have it done right. All other higher luxury factory-equipped generators will have the switch with the rest of the switches. That's been my experience what I've seen. Only lesser quality, smaller scale trailers might put the switch somewhere but Montanas are more on the higher end than lower end. Why shouldn't this rig have deserved this? And that doesn't mean just reposition the switch in the closet on the other side of the wall from the W/D.

I'm happy for Restez that theirs is in a better place as it should be and it's good he requested it, but if the salesmand didn't ask for the position as a standard question where the customer might want it, and the salesman is supposed to represent the customer within that company, then make the salesman resources pay for it. I'm sure they'll find a way to make it the factory problem, but this should not be a customer issue.

I hope you have good luck having it changed. I think you like it a lot better if you can get it done. Of course, you could do it yourself but that's a lot of routing and wiring.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
When they purchase the switch it comes with a wire harness already made to plug in. The harness comes in 10 and 30 feet. The price is somewhat higher for the 30 ft so guess which one Keystone uses.
When I installed mine I cut the wires and spliced longer leads on so I could mount it next to the front door.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote